PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines Special Military Fares - HAH!

marinemom
01-19-05, 05:48 AM
Okay - I am now totally ticked!!!!!

Checking out the main Corps website I find a "special notice" that American Airlines is offering "extended military fares" for the troops who are either active duty or returning from Iraq and Afghanistan - designed to make home travel better - YEAH RIGHT!!!!

I call American to check the cost of flights from San Diego to DC for tigger - silly me thinking that this might save the kid a few bucks coming home for his 30 days - remember these are supposed to make travel better.

On the "extended military fare" the cost of the round trip is $461.30 San Diego to Reagan. This is a COACH FARE!!!!

Checked out cheaptickets - the fare is $262 - Someone want to tell me about this - same flight, same airline, same period of time between here and the return - and American is charging the military $200 more!

Remind me to write a letter to the president of the airline and thank him for suporting the trops!

thedrifter
01-19-05, 05:55 AM
I have used orbits..

I already booked for Feb to go to Jacksonville, NC...Saving over 100.00

I ca't help You why they are charging more though...
Something is wrong with this picture..

http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewFlightSearch?OSC=BuKRgWi2U1!1747998257!1710671 77!7001!-1&z=38hw&r=1

Ellie

Sgted
01-19-05, 07:18 AM
The great American free enterprize rip off.

To me....either an air fare is worth this many dollars or that many dollars.
Same with hotel / motel rates. Why am I paying more then the guy next door ??
In your case Mom, "extended military fare" are just words used by the offender (American airlines in this case) to make you think your getting the best deal.
I've had it out with my heating oil supplier a few times about this.
I call a few places, get the lowest price then call my main supplier and they quote me a price per gallon .20 cents higher then the lowest price I was able to find.
When I tell them this they always come down to the lowest price I was quoted.
How many pay more then they have to ??.
And, the few people who do not have the luxury of a home computer aren't able to go to Orbitz. Cheaptickets or priceline.com to obtain the cheapest rates.
These are usually those who can least afford it.
My opinion on the airfare problem is that ALL active duty troops returning from, or going to a war zone fly free. Period.
Those on active duty going to and from non-war duty stations get the lowest price available without having to be a detective.

The airline industry is trying to recoup losses relating to higher fuel costs.
So are the rest of us.

Sparrowhawk
01-19-05, 07:52 AM
Going to DC next month to finish some research and found out its cheaper using my AAA card, never have tried a senior discount cause I ain't there yet... LOL

Cheapest is still cheapticket but JetBlue was cheaper for about the price you were quoted. From LAX I could fly even cheaper on other airlines, but it would not be a direct line.

Good thing we can shop on line for our tickets. One of my daughters is flying to Spain next month round trip $485.00 figure thta out?

Same with hotel rooms, cheaper to use my AAA card then military discount in some places. However last time I was in DC Enterprise had a real good military discount program at Bethesda, they even upgraded me to a Park Avenue from a compact for the same discounted low price. But, then again not all enterprise locations offered that discount. I wrote and thanked Enterprise for that one.

Guess we just have to shop around, but the Internet does make it easlier for that.

al20852
01-19-05, 08:21 AM
Yes we can shop around, and yes an educated consumer can find a cheaper fare , but the real issue raised here is of a company which leaves the impression that it is offering a "deal" to the military that really isn't a deal. As far as I'm concerned, when you offer ""extended military fares' for the troops who are either active duty or returning from Iraq and Afghanistan" they damn well better be the best fares available. If they aren't, then you are committing a fraud.

bigwalt
01-19-05, 08:55 AM
I normally use Spirit Airlines. I see and sometimes use deals from travelzoo.com You can go to the site pick your city and it will tell you what deals are out there. The only thing is that it is usually short notice and you have to fly with in a certin date. They do the searching for you. They sent me an e-mail when a deal was released. Detroit to Cancun for $258 round trip or Detroit to Tampa $138. Hope this helps.

marinemom
01-19-05, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I really needed to vent on this one -
al20852 is right tho - this is a rip-off on the troops - and I am really surprised that it is listed on usmc.mil - you'd think somebody would check this to be sure that no Marines are riped off.

CAR
01-19-05, 04:33 PM
marinemom, <br />
Just a thought as to the price difference. Check the restrictions on those fares. Generally when airlines offer things like that it's because they are giving &quot;you&quot; a better deal on a...