PDA

View Full Version : The latest sniper shooting ~ my opinion

Sparrowhawk
10-15-02, 11:22 AM
With the latest shooting outside a Home Depot store in FALLS CHURCH, Va., the snipers pattern is becoming obvious.

Having worked as a Crime Analysis for LAPD for the last five years before I retired, I used colored markers to plot locations of crimes scenes to help officers, locate criminals that reflected a certain pattern.

From the information the news services have provided I put together these patterns.

To me it seems, like the individual seems to have a delivery job, Monday thru Friday, but is occupied elsewhere or off on Tuesday, Saturday and Sundays the only days he has not struck. He more than probably lives in the Arlington area and his targets are picked at random, and opportunity. He mostly selects middle age males and is probably young, mid twenties.

His next victim might be a female on Wednesday in am hours, on the street or parking lot, a bit more isolated this time. He will be hungry for attention toward new news about his crimes.

<i> Looking at the pattern again, Wednesday PM is more probable, but he may now be seeking news more than anything else, but his job may have him working late on Wednesdays and the reason why he would be striking at that time. </i>

A Middle East terrorist? possibly. Just my opinion.

<hr>

<b>Wednesday</B>, Oct. 2 5:20 p.m. Windows shot at a Maryland<I><B> craft store.</I></B> No one hurt.

<b>Wednesday</B>, Oct. 2 6:04 p.m. <b>Male</B>, 55, killed in a Maryland grocery store parking lot.

Thursday, Oct. 3 7:41 a.m. <b>Male</B>, 39, killed while cutting grass at a Maryland auto dealership.

Thursday, Oct. 3 8:12 a.m. <b>Male</B>, 54, killed while pumping gas at a Maryland<b> gas station.</b>

Thursday, Oct. 3 8:37 a.m. Female, 34, killed while sitting on a bench outside a Maryland post office.

Thursday, Oct. 3 9:58 a.m. Female, 25, killed at a Maryland<b> gas station. </b>

Thursday, Oct. 3 9:15 p.m. <b>Male</B>, 72, killed while standing on a street in Washington, D.C.

<b>Friday</B>, Oct. 4 2:30 p.m. Female, 43, wounded in a <I><B>craft store</I></B> <b>parking lot</B> in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Monday, Oct. 7 8:09 a.m. <b>Male</B> Youth 13-year-old boy wounded as he is dropped off at a Bowie, Maryland.

<b>Wednesday</B>, Oct. 9 8:15 p.m. <b>Male</B>, 53, killed at a <B>gas station</B> in Manassas, Virginia.

<b>Friday</B>, Oct. 11 9:30 a.m. <b>Male</B>, 53, killed at a <B>gas station</b> in Fredericksburg. Virginia.

Monday, Oct. 14 9:15 p.m. Female, 47, killed at Home Depot store <b>parking lot,</B> Falls Church, Virginia

Norton1
10-15-02, 04:50 PM
I also think that the shooter is not using an M-16 type weapon. One shot - I'm betting it is a single shot bull barrelled type varmiter. If it was an auto I'm betting the shooter would have taken the woman and her husband in that last shooting.

The reports say the shot was "like a pop" and an AR-15 or M-16 makes a pretty impressive ka-boom. A single shot would mute the sound to some degree due to the closed action. If they are shooting from inside a van the noise would tear someone's ears out - unless they were wearing heavy ear protection - and that would be noticeable to bystanders.

Just another reaon to maintain one's own protection - there are some strange folks out there for a fact.

gruntsdotnet
10-15-02, 05:01 PM
The pattern I see is someone who has been trained to demoralize a group of people. He strikes different people, at different times, in different places. He fires once, and only once, then he moves on. He is very accurate.

Now think about one of the missions of a sniper. Demoralize your enemy. Break his will to fight by targeting ordinary soldiers, not just officers. Target them when and where they least expect it. Never fire more than once. Don't miss. Strike where others can see it when it happens.

This guy has been trained and trained well by someone who knows a lot about sniper tactics.

Barrio_rat
10-15-02, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by gruntsdotnet
This guy has been trained and trained well by someone who knows a lot about sniper tactics.

Or, quite possibly, he is well read... There are countless articles, pamphlets and other sources one can attain this information from. As of now, in my opinion, there are too many variables with whoever is doing this shooting. Good tactics and a fair round (though some would argue how good of a round it is for this purpose) are being used. Unknown which weapon is being used. Could be as expensive as the Armalite AR-15 or as inexpensive as the New England Arms "Handy Rifle." Both are quite capable of the shots fired so far. Remember yer basic marksman ship skills. USMC rifle range goes out to 500 meters at a man size target - with open sights. To call this guy a sniper, when most probably a scope is being used and all were within 150 meters, is a bit of a stretch. It has also been concluded that the first shot was a miss. The store window was not the target. Also, on at least one occasion, there was a failed shot and a second shot was taken. Brass has been left behind as well as other evidence, the tarot card for instance. I don't claim to be an expert on snipers and how they operate but from what I've heard and understand about ‘em, leaving evidence is not a sniper trait. A single action or bolt action rifle would be easier for containing the spent brass. Though, brass catchers are readily available for the auto-loaders. There is the remote possibility that spent brass from a different weapon was left, to throw the investigation off. Same with other evidence. I don't know how plausible this is. I would think any evidence could potentially come back to you and a sniper would want to avoid that.

From what I've seen and from what has been reported, here's what I get. It could be a rogue sniper or wannabe sniper who didn't cut the mustard and is now "proving" his skills. A loser or a couple of ‘em, who are out to do harm "just ‘cause." Basically yer average American wackos. There is also the possibility of it being a group. Whether Middle Eastern terrorists or not, doesn't really matter at this point but it is a possibility. Several different vehicles, several different areas. It could be many people working in concert. If this were the case, I'd say two or three pairs working together. From what I've heard on the news from the so-called "experts," it is probably a pair of losers that have done their research and make a plan. So far, they've had good plans. To me, this seems the most plausible.

But, while conjecture is (for lack of a better term) fun and brings interesting debate. I enjoy very much the true "experts" on this site who have given their opinions as well as the opinions of those in here who do have "life" as a teacher and share their knowledge. This all allows great insight and helps to form an opinion to what is going on in the DC area. However, rather than "us" trying to figure out who this person is, why aren't we discussing how this effects us? How would you behave if this were YOUR area? Those of us who prefer to practice our Second Amendment Right, what good does it do you when yer faced with an unknown assailant who is firing at you from 100 meters away? None at all. This is a wake-up call to be ever vigilant. To be aware of our surroundings and to help protect OUR neighborhoods. I'm sure, those in the DC area are very wary of any white van. What good does that do if the person doing this steals a red pickup? If it looks out of the ordinary, it probably is. If your "sixth sense" is acting up or you got that "gut feeling" ya just might wanna pay attention to it. How much do you pay attention to where you are and when you're there? Are you aware of your surroundings? Do you have an exit? Can you make an exit? Who is near or around you? Who is friend and who is a potential foe? Are they really friends? Sometimes we don't have a choice in where we are or what we do. Sometimes we choose not to make the choice, due - usually - to convenience or inconvenience. Another point to think about. What punishment should this person (or persons) receive? For the most part, I think, it would depend on which scenario they fall under. If it's one of the above or any number of others that haven't been considered.

Sixguns
10-15-02, 07:06 PM
The targets are random. There is a varying pattern of locations. The fact is anyone and everyone can be a target. There is no doubt this individual is trained in the art of marksmanship. The poor truth of it is he will only be caught immediately after an attack. I do not believe there is enough evidence to pin him down and capture him before he strikes again. I think the best bet the law enforcement community has is to catch him in the act or immediately following. Sadly, that means another unsuspecting citizen will most likely be injured or killed. I haven't seen any news reports indicating that this could be acts of terrorism. I am curious if there is a connection. I agree with a lot that has been said in these posts and wonder if this is a terrorist attempt to demoralize the American people and strike fear in the citizens here. Heck terrorists went to the expense of learning to pilot aircraft. I would think getting marksmanship training and a rifle is a cheaper means of attacking the American people. Maybe we forgot about the Al Queda training camps and the recent threats from our number one enemy, Osama Bin Laden. Just food for thought. I am merely spectulating. I just don't want to believe an American is killing other Americans in light of all our nation has been though in the past year.

SF,

USMC0311
10-22-02, 05:55 AM
#14 in Maryland, Aspen Hill ....victim: Chest shot, man was riding on a bus.
location near First 5 shots/locations

not yet confirmed

this muther needs the dogs put on'em..K-9 type

Norton1
10-22-02, 08:50 AM
It just amazes me that someone has not seen this guy yet. I mean everyone in that part of the country is watching for the shooter, every cop within 500 miles is on the alert for any suspicious activity, and yet this clown continues to pick people off like it was simply putting milk on cornflakes.

The frustration for people in that area has to be insane. I just hope someone pops the shooter's sorry ass. No trial - just waste the mother.

CAS3
10-22-02, 09:15 AM
If I had a weapon, I would volunteer.
I had to be in work early this morning but I had forgotten to get gas yesterday. At 5am I was at the Exxon on Rt1 next to I95 in Stafford. I could not believe it, I actually felt scared. Not until today did this really effect my actions. I got in to the office and I have not been outside since. Working in DC doesn't unnerve me as much as living in the burbs. But I have found that I am watching the news and listening to the radio ALL of the time. As a former MARINE, I am extra vigilant to begin with. Now I think I am on the verge of being neurotic about this azzhole.
He definetly needs to be put down like you would put down an old dog. Gas the mother!
Just for fun:
I am taking applications for a personal bodyguard. Must be a MARINE and on the ready to take a bullet. Just until my husband comes home or until they get this SOB.:evilgrin:

mrbsox
10-22-02, 09:20 AM
I say, find him (her), have the trial, assign IT to life in the Electric Chair.... AFTER.... IT pays it's DEBT to society.

Here's the deal. It's costing SOMEBODY (ie. taxpayers) MILLION$$$$$ to track, find, this Sum B!tch. AFTER he is in jail, put him to work till he PAYS US BACK. Hard labor about 20 yrs should do it. Building roads, hauling trash, maybe even digging graves.

THEN, since all his appeals are probably used up, FRY THAT AZZ.

It would bring a new meaning to "paying his debt to society".

I'm starting to get a little anxious... I'll be in B'more next week working, and then again in early Dec. Already planning how to move, find cover, and the like. If you see someone arrested for SUSPICIOUS activity next week :D :D

Terry

badbob
10-22-02, 12:20 PM
I don’t believe that the two new victims since your original post here has changed much of your profile, other than the pattern of off days, now there doesn’t seem to be any left except Sunday. <br />

Sparrowhawk
10-22-02, 01:14 PM
Last Saturday on a weekend when he hadn't done so before then today. A Tuesday another day he had not utilized before.

He is sending the police a very strong message that what he has said in his letters (possible target school kids), he is capable of doing, what he wills at will, he will do.

The fact that he returned near the first shots may mean that he was leaving for the day from that area.

I expect him to come home to within a mile or two radius of this last shooting. He is fond of the woods and that maybe where he learned to shoot at small animals and other targets. So, he probably is not a DC character, but one that has enjoyed hunting.

His letters are a great source of information. If anyone lives with him, they would be able to recognize his handwriting and the word phrases, he uses. Should the police release them? They are leaking some information, but not all.

I believe it wont be long before he takes different steps to make his presence known on a larger scale or he is caught. I am surprised he has not targeted a police officer or a even a news reporter, that would send a terrorizing message to citizens that they really are not safe.

Where that arrest occurred yesterday of the two men here illegally may also offer a clue. As He seemed to be or have been involved in almost setting up the police, baiting them with others that may fit his profile. It maybe an area where he has often gotten gas, etc.

He hit on a Tuesday, and earlier than he has ever struck before, but the age of his target remains the same. If he does not live in the Arlington Area he might have a friend, a girl friend that lives in that area, where he may stay over at times. There is also a connection with him and route 95.

Perhaps the best time to catch this individual is not during those times of high alert when he has struck before. But, when he is about during the early morning hours when he maybe checking out a spot he knows about that he decide to use later. I would find a Michael’s craft store close to the freeway system and stay there during the night, staking it out, but in a hidden position where he won’t be able to see you. The same time for schools near wooden areas.

If he is now demanding money, it may mean he has done so before, or has asked for other things before and what the police are not telling us, from his messages may indicate that he has asked them not to disclose other information, because if they do, he may have told them that he would target other more valuable targets, children at school etc.

In Nam, the gooks often used the same trails, and their smell would linger there for days. You could almost smell them coming back, you certainly could sense they were coming. But it wasn't until they opened fired that their location was revealed. We need to have everyone out searching for him every off duty police officer, and authorized law enforcement officer, snooping and looking for him in regular clothes. Humm, especially young looking officers.

Just my thoughts.....

Sparrowhawk
10-24-02, 07:08 AM
When I first posted this tread, I had read this article in a search I had done, for a .223 weapon used ina crime. When I read it, I was disturbed, or maybe it was my six sense that kicked in. Now...