PDA

View Full Version : Marines Help Rescue Driver After Fiery Crash

thedrifter
01-16-05, 07:18 AM
Marines Help Rescue Driver After Fiery Crash
Man Pulled To Safety From Burning Truck

POSTED: 8:52 am EST January 14, 2005
UPDATED: 8:57 am EST January 14, 2005

ELIZABETHTOWN, N.Y. -- A truck driver is recovering in Vermont after being rescued from a fiery crash by four U.S. Marines.

Last week, the Marines were driving south on Interstate 87 when they came across an accident where two trucks had crashed near Elizabethtown.

"There were a couple of people -- two or three around, and we figured we should get them back away from the fire because it was a fuel truck," said Pvc. William Patnode.

With no cellular telephone service on that part of the highway, two of the Marines drove off to call for help.

Two others acted on instinct when they found out the driver of the fuel truck was still on board.

Pvt. James Stewart said when he opened the cab door, the flames were dangerously close to the driver.

"It was just adrenaline," Stewart said. "I thought to myself that if I was in there, I wouldn't burn alive."

The Marines were able to pull the man to safety, with the help of another truck driver.

The driver, Cornelius Mahar, of Rensselaer, was injured in the accident and is hospitalized in Burlington. His condition is improving, doctors said.
Copyright 2005 by TheChamplainChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Ellie

fidgit52
01-20-05, 08:51 PM
These Marines and there Co and Master Gunny were in local paper today with Assemblyman Ortloff. Semper Fi Job well done