PDA

View Full Version : MCCDC corporal beats out three sergeants for Marine of the Year title

thedrifter
01-15-05, 07:33 AM
MCCDC corporal beats out three sergeants for Marine of the Year title

by Cpl. Justin Lago
MCB Quantico

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. -- Cpl. Marcus D. Gilmore, a company grade officer assistant monitor with the Marine Corps Combat Development Command, competed in and won the 2004 Marine of the Year title after the final MOY board, where he competed against three sergeants.

The board was held Dec. 15 in the commanding general's conference room of the MCCDC building where the four selected 2004 Marine Noncommissioned Officers of the Quarter were individually observed by a panel of seven sergeants major.

The panel was lead by the MCCDC sergeant major, Sgt Maj. Richard L. Arndt. The panel's agenda involved testing the four Marines on military knowledge and observing their bearing and ability to compete under pressure.

"You have to stay at ease, stay sharp -- don't be nervous or ask questions," said Gilmore. "I was nervous upon entering the room but after the first few questions, I was a little more at ease in front of the panel."

Gilmore admitted he had no knowledge of some of the operational risk management questions asked during the review.

"I had no idea how to answer that question," said Gilmore.

Gilmore had been on roughly 12 boards prior to the MOY board. "It helped prepare me for this one," said Gilmore. "I studied for it here, a little, at work but I did most of my studying at home.

"I was recommended by my shop to go on the board and they were all pretty happy to hear that I made the title when I got back," said Gilmore. Gilmore's words of advice are to just stay calm on boards and don't wait for last minute cramming get the answer you might need, he said.

Gilmore's fellow Marines give him a lot of credit.

"I think the world of him. He handles responsibility well, like any good staff [noncommissioned officer]," said Maj. Keith Kopets, head of ground company grade assignments. "I wish I had five Gilmores running around here; it was an award well-deserved."

Maj. Tom Lacroix, company grade infantry monitor, explained how Gilmore has filled the shoes of former staff NCO assistants in the shop. This young Marine never ceases to amaze me, said Lacroix. "He absolutely accomplishes the mission."

Gilmore's title has guaranteed him a seat on a future sergeant promotion board.

http://www.dcmilitary.com/marines/hendersonhall/newspics/2116_1e.jpg

Cpl. Justin Lago
Cpl. Marcus D. Gilmore, a company grade officer assistant monitor at Marine Corps Combat Development Command, performs his daily tasks at work, after winning the 2004 Marine of the Year title Dec. 15, at MCCDC. Cpl. Gilmore beat out three sergeants in the competition.

Ellie

yellowwing
01-15-05, 09:15 AM
Congrats to this fine Marine!

Maj. Tom Lacroix, company grade infantry monitor, explained how Gilmore has filled the shoes of former staff NCO assistants in the shop.
Are things really getting that tight on manpower?

It does show that our Marine culture grooms us all to do what ever job we have to!

Semper Fi