PDA

View Full Version : dog tags

perfectcircle
01-14-05, 08:12 PM
I've heard stories but non confirmed...why are/were the dog tags notched?

CAR
01-14-05, 09:07 PM
My understanding:

Used to be notched so that if killed in action one could be placed in the mouth and jammed between the teeth so you couldn't loose it.

If someone else knows of another reason , would love to hear it. This is what I've been told over the years.

SgtDvlDog3
01-14-05, 09:12 PM
That's how I understood it as well and the second was to be placed around the big toe.

Sgted
01-14-05, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by SgtDvlDog3
That's how I understood it as well and the second was to be placed around the big toe.

One in the mouth.....One on the toe.

My dogtags were issued with one being hung on a long chain, the second on a small additional chain (just right for a big toe).

jinelson
01-14-05, 09:23 PM
Thats what I understand as well, the VC and NVA knew that we placed great value in our dead and misssing and always retrieved our fallen so they would take the dog tags as trophy's and we had no way of positively identifying the remains. DNA hadnt been discovered yet. We never were issued the notched ones so we improvised and wore them in our bottom boot laces so they would remain with the boot in case of dimemberment and that also kept them from making noise.

hrscowboy
01-14-05, 09:41 PM
yep one in the boot and one on your neck thats the way i wore them

jinelson
01-14-05, 09:56 PM
I have noticed that many seperated veterans have one of there tags on their key chains I am one of them. I have one on mine and its my MCRDSD original issue how about any one else?

tasslehof
01-14-05, 10:07 PM
I have one on my keychain as well and I believe it is one of my originals. Just something about not having one that feels "wierd"

devildog21345
01-14-05, 10:28 PM
I keep my original on a chain on my mirror in the van issue date July 1962

SSgtOfMarines
01-14-05, 10:35 PM
To answer the original question:

The notch on the old dogtags were for placement on the dog tag machine. The notch prevented slipping. Every other reason is urban legend.

Toby M
01-14-05, 10:43 PM
I still have one of mine. My first wife had it and gave it back to me a few years ago. Seems like her husband couldn't figure out why she still carried it. It now hangs on my key chain. Not sure whatever happened to the other one...got it in 67.

jinelson
01-14-05, 10:50 PM
Hey Toby M thats when I got mine too PLT 2218 2ndRTR MCRDSD
It does PO me if I let the doggies BS'd me though

AshleyMS
01-14-05, 10:56 PM
That is how I have always known it to be one for the mouth and the other for the toe.

USMC-FO
01-15-05, 02:49 AM
I still have both of my orginal dog tags issued in August 1962. One is on my key chain and the other hangs of a hook in my office like some ancient tailsman with other trinkets from my active service years--a .50 cal slug, a c-ration can opener, and a piece of shrapnel from a too close mortar round.

Wyoming
01-15-05, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by SgtOfMarines

The notch on the old dogtags were for placement on the dog tag machine. The notch prevented slipping. Every other reason is urban legend.

I got beat to the punch and the question has been answered.

Still have mine. Both hanging in a proper spot behind me bar.

Issued September 1965 at MCRD, San Diego.

marinemom
01-15-05, 07:33 AM
According to several relatives who served in WWII and Korea, one dog tag was placed in the mouth and the second was held by the unit for an accurate count of casualties.

MelloYello
01-15-05, 06:29 PM
Well a Recuriter at my RSS told me that Grunts put one in there left boot and one around thier neck.

Incase your upper body gets blown off you still will have a boot or vise-versa.

DeLong1
01-30-05, 02:00 PM
Got one of my origionals on my keychain as well.............don't really know why, it just has to be there! 254xxxx

lucien2
01-30-05, 02:06 PM
We flew alot so one around the neck and one laced into the boot.

TRLewis
01-30-05, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by jinelson
I have noticed that many seperated veterans have one of there tags on their key chains I am one of them. I have one on mine and its my MCRDSD original issue how about any one else?

I'm guilty of that too, and after i rejoin the fight. I'll have a 3rd dog tag on my chain. Gotta keep the PI one.

jinelson
01-30-05, 03:21 PM
Im just glad to know that Im not the only one who improvised regs. Hey Lewis are you in the army yet? If so are you at Fort Bragg now? I was at MCAS Cherry Point for a while and drove convoys of gear there.

Sempers Bro
Jim

brettt
01-30-05, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by SgtOfMarines

I used to think it was for between them buttery yellows as well, but the Good Ole Gunny on Mail Call backed up SgtofMarines knowlege.

jinelson
01-30-05, 03:51 PM
I saw that mail call too, and the Gunny wouldnt lie. I was BSed for a couple decades along with many others. Until I read SgtofMarines post I never questioned it.

HardJedi
01-30-05, 05:07 PM
I HAD both of my original tags untill I got married. Then my ex wife claimed em, and when I booted her butt to the curb, she wouldn't give em back.

Women, i tell ya ;)

Ed Fleming
01-30-05, 07:52 PM
I have one of my original issue from Parris Island in 1955. My Grandson found it and was toting it around until I saw it and he does not touch it now. Its tucked away in my dresser and will go into my casket when I leave this earth !!!

yanacek
01-30-05, 07:55 PM
SergeantOfMarines is correct about the purpose of the notch on "older style" dog tags being used to prevent slipping on the dog tag machines.

Regarding what is done with the dog tags on a Marine who has been killed, both tags are to remain around the neck. When the casualty is to be buried in a temporary grave, whoever conducts the burial removes the dog tag on the small chain. This dog tag is mantained by the Graves Registration folks along with information pertaining to the exact location of the remains. The dog tag which remains with the body should be left around the neck. When the body is disenterred by Graves Registration to be shipped to a permanent cemetery, the dog tag maintained with the Graves Registration records is matched to the one around the neck on the remains to ensure that the remains have been correctly identified. It is then re-attached to the chain around the neck before the remains are shipped to a permanent cemetery.

As for the dog tag in the boot, I knew Marines who did this, however, they did so with an additional dog tag as they always wore two around there neck.