PDA

View Full Version : Leatherneck vs Gazette

Fred Pfeiffer
01-14-05, 02:51 PM
I have a discussion question.

Can anyone describe the differences between 'Leatherneck' magazine and the 'Marine Corps Gazette' magazine?

Is it simply the intended audience: 'Leatherneck' for enlisted and 'Marine Corps Gazette' for officers?

What are the pros and cons of both?

Which one would you subscribe to if you had only one to choose from?

Would you subscribe at all?

Semper Fi

thedrifter
01-14-05, 02:59 PM
I get 'Leatherneck'

Difference I can't say...
I have read both, and they both have had good articles

Ellie

jinelson
01-14-05, 03:25 PM
Hi Fred, I have noticed you have been spending a lot of time here lately and thats a good thing. Your question is a good one. I subscribe to both and would say without any hesitation that of the two Leatherneck is my favorite. Leatherneck has not really changed its format since back when you and I were boots, and I think Christ was still a corporol then. It keeps me up to date on the changes that our Corps has under gone during the years. They usually have one or two stories each month about past operations Nam, WW-II, Desert Storm etc. There's a board that posts reunions, a page of jokes called leatherneck laffs and sadly a casualty list. The Gazette on the other hand is more for officers and staff NCO's pretty much heavy on tactical ops and text book war fighting. They have some good stories as well, my favorite was called "Bringing Chance Home" a real tear jerker that also left me so proud of the Corps and the emphasis that it puts on returning our KIA Marines with pride and honor. Look it up on the internet you will agree. Well I hope this asnwers some of you questions. By the way how is the new job going?

Semper Fi

Jim

Fred Pfeiffer
01-14-05, 03:55 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I hope others will give their views also. I am considering a subscription to one or the other.

The new job is working out well. I have been working 10 hour days since before Christmas. A bit tiring, but I do get paid hourly, so that is good.

All in all, things are working out OK. Janiece and I had a good vacation in the Caribbean just after we saw you at the USMC Birthday ball. By the way, do you get your money from the Gunny? I should have checked on that before this. Forgive me.

While we were in the British Virgin Islands, I got my bareboat charter certification, like I had planned. I had to pass 3 written tests and 3 practical tests in order to get it. A lot of work, but I passed.

I have been monitoring the discussions here a bit more than usual for a couple of weeks now. I come and go depending on my work load.

Anyway, I'll see you around and good to hear from you.

Semper Fi,
Fred

jinelson
01-14-05, 04:06 PM
Fred, yeah Gunny Rielly took care of that on that Monday morning. It took him a couple weeks to get it squared away with RS HQ though but everybody is square now. That sure was a great evening. That aussie Marine was a real character.

I am looking forward to attending the Leatherneck reunion in Washinton DC in May and then in June I am travelling to Copenhagen Denmark and then going to Sweden to visit a friend so life is good me as well.

Give my best to Janiece
Jim

Phantom Blooper
01-14-05, 04:15 PM
I wrote a book review for an author on this site and sent it to the Gazzette magazine. They accepted the review then wrote me a letter after I signed the release,stating that they would not publish it due to controversial material. In my dealings with the Gazzette I was forwarded to the Leatherneck office and back an forth to the Gazzette as they both have the same building just different phonelines and office's. But I believe only one receptionist.In my letter from the editor of the Gazzette it was stated that they regretted their prior decision and that the magazine dealt mainly with technical and high calibur individuals. Since the Leatherneck is published in the same building it was decided it would be a farce to continue with that venture.
I do live in the Camp Lejeune area and although I don't subscribe to either magazine,each month when I go to the commisary I pick up a copy of each and I enjoy both. The Leatherneck is more down to earth and informative with issues of today and yesteryear. The Gazzette is techno and modern weapontry and testing of equipment and such.Good reading & interesting but,to me some could be hum drum unless one is able to feel the steel of the weapon. Just my opinion. Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall:marine:

enviro
01-14-05, 04:23 PM
Leatherneck is a monthly news publication.

Gazette is a professional journal.

I know we all know what a news publication is but what is a professional journal? Well, simply it is a collection of articles written by professionals in that particular field. For example, the New England Journal of Medicine is written by professionals in the medical field. The Marine Corps Gazette is written by professional Marines (occasionally another military professional submits an article)

I have been published in the Marine Corps Gazette twice now. Most Marines would like Leatherneck better because it is news. The Gazette is liked better by "military nerds" that have a better way of doing things or know how we have been screwing it up.

Koble_USMC
01-14-05, 04:42 PM
The easiest way to break down the differences, not that you did not do a fine job enviro, is that the Gazette is more geared toward enlisted Marines, mostly NCO's. The Gazette is geared toward officers more. Thats not saying that you cannot be an enlisted Marine and get the Gazette or vice versa. Actually, I get Leatherneck. Hope that helps, and enviro, excellent explaination!!

Ductus Exemplo,

LT

Fred Pfeiffer
01-14-05, 05:35 PM
Thank you one and all.

These explainations have been very helpful.

I still need to ponder the question of my own needs a bit before making my subscription decision.

If anyone has anything to add, I am still listening.

Semper Fi,
Fred

dibob
01-14-05, 07:49 PM
I have been receiving both magazines for many years. I have been published several time in both magazines. If you follow the writer's guidlines to the letter, you will be published. The best way to do it is to submit a query letter asking if they would be interested in the article you contemplate writing, or have written. Remember you are competing with many officers who seek to advance their careers by being published in the Gazette.
As a former member of the Leatherneck staff, I know that they are always scrabbling every month for well-written, informative articles. If you are weak on grammer and structure, take a course at a local community college, or buy yourself a book on writing, such Writing for Dummies (no insult intended), or study the writing style of articles already published.