PDA

View Full Version : Would the PM posts be best addressed in a PM

Namvet67
01-13-05, 04:20 PM
I was wondering about how private the private messages (PM) are. Has anything ever got back to you from something that was posted on PM? Just a thought....not directed at any one person.

yellowwing
01-13-05, 05:31 PM
You mean like a Private Message's subject ending up on the open forums? No, nothing personal.

I only openly posted a PM once, and it did not contain any peronal information. It was only a sea-story (that I shared) that had relevance to a discussion.

Namvet67
01-13-05, 05:38 PM
Yellowwing...so you think they really are private...ok thanks for your reply. You don't think the house detectives could take a look see?

JAG5150
01-13-05, 05:52 PM
It's hard to say, truthfully there is no expectation to privacy when you're on line so I don't know if the administration on this or any site could see what it written in a PM.

yellowwing
01-13-05, 06:01 PM
You'll have to ask the staff on that one, or read the Terms of Service (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/legal/tos.html) and Privacy Policy (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/legal/privacy/privacy.html). They have contact info if you have specific question not covered.

femalemarine_89
01-13-05, 06:02 PM
I Think that the ones that I have had PMs with that they remain private. Sometimes I am not sure if they make their way to open. No matter what, In my opinion what is said in a PM should be kept in a PM.

JAG5150
01-13-05, 06:14 PM
Agreed, if what you to say to somebody in the PM is between the two talking, if you wanted the entire site to know then you would put it out for everybody to read.

femalemarine_89
01-13-05, 06:16 PM
Thats what I mean. I know the people that I pm with its all good. But there are some that I am not sure of. Its like this. If I wanted it shared with every tom, dick and harry I would share it with them. The only time it should be taken anywhere else if it is offending or whatnot.

JAG5150
01-13-05, 06:18 PM
I just say that there are some things better kept between the people that you trust that nobody else needs to be prevy to that information unless you want them to be.

femalemarine_89
01-13-05, 06:21 PM
thats exactually it.. How secure do you think all your information is on any site like this.

JAG5150
01-13-05, 06:25 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking patient client privledge, confessional privledge, or attorney client privledge or anything like that. I just wonder how secure these private messages are and who if anybody has access to them besides the person or persons who we sent the message.

Timber
01-13-05, 06:25 PM
You are absolutely right Jag and FM89. A private message should be just that "PRIVATE" only for those it is addressed to. And then it should not get out unless all parties agree to making it known.

femalemarine_89
01-13-05, 06:29 PM
Well somethings will never be known.. Its bad when you have to come to these conclusions about messages. Hey Timber welcome back..

Timber
01-13-05, 06:42 PM
Just caught the breeze from your PM will send stuff to you Im

Sparrowhawk
01-13-05, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by femalemarine_89
... In my opinion what is said in a PM should be kept in a PM.

That's in Vegas!

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas," I've seen the commericials.

LOL

usually when I say something in a PM to someone and it pi sses them off, they post what I said to them in a PM on a tread...

Some people have no sense of humor!!!

HardJedi
01-14-05, 12:21 AM
is the question here " can the person who owns this website read your pm's?" If THAT is the question, thenI am sure that the answer is PROBABLY yes, I am sure he could if he needed to or wanted to, but lets face it, most of hat all of us have to say is pretty boring, who would WANT to do that ;)

Sparrowhawk
01-14-05, 06:02 AM
But an administrator can go into any personal account to make necessary changes, and your pm messages would be there, if you don't delete them.

Humm, better go clean out my pm box. LOL

I couldn't change my moderator status myself. I had to have Jerry do that.

Best way to find out about any site you visit what an administrator can and cannot do, as if you were interested in purchasing a liscense or their services. Look up the administrators capabilities for that web site.

You can certainly email the providers of the service like ezboard, bizland or what ever to see what capabilities you would have should you have your own web site using their services.

AOL can read your emails, so can mSN so, a pm can probably be read by others.

What I say in a PM to someone else, about anyone, if negative; I would probably say or have already said to that person.

Of the web sites I've tried I've never have had to use any tools other then to ban or delete an individuals posts.

I don't know about this site, never bothered to read the fine print but then again that's what got me to Nam, not reading the fine print. LOL

Namvet67
01-14-05, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info from all of the above...I have a better understanding on PMs now....I believe that they can be read by the ownership of the site but not by the other members unless sent directly to them...I like Cook's suggestion...send em and delete em.

Mr.Rod
01-14-05, 09:57 AM
No get me goin this mornin Gary........LOL

Namvet67
01-14-05, 10:01 AM
Ok Rod...I've already been told to quit beating dead horses...so be it...I'm going to the thread on how to prepare deer meat..won't get in trouble there....or could I?

Mr.Rod
01-14-05, 10:03 AM
LOL.........with this crew, I don't think there is ANY safe place

Mr.Rod
01-14-05, 10:52 AM
but back to the question, if two people are talking in PM, and i take that to mean PRIVATE MESSAGE, and someone that it is not addressed to goes in and reads it and then has a lil God complex and changes it's content, then they should be reported to the authorities, have their butt whupped and be barred from ANY site on the web. PM is just that, PRIVATE MESSAGE, does the phrase Invasion of Privacy ring any bells?

Timber
01-14-05, 10:59 AM
I see an ore in the pot

thedrifter
01-14-05, 10:59 AM
Mr.Rod

That is what it is meant...PRIVATE...

Only when the party shares it with other folks is when it is not.

Ellie

Mr.Rod
01-14-05, 11:10 AM
But if it is shared in a PM then how can someone change the content?

Timber
01-14-05, 11:26 AM
Don't know how. I didn't know you could change the wording in a post once it was submitted either but it can be I guess.

Mr.Rod
01-15-05, 11:04 AM
There's a big difference between a post and a PM tho

Mr.Rod
01-15-05, 11:31 AM
Not worried one little bit, ain't nothin in here that scares me or makes me worry in the least little bit.

Namvet67
01-17-05, 11:26 AM
Measure twice and cut once....loud and clear. Nothing private about a PM.

Sparrowhawk
01-17-05, 12:52 PM
That is why I have many different email addresses.

Talk about money laundering, by the time I get my messages, they have gone through such a decontamination process that the FBI and CIA would be proud... LOL

Namvet67
01-17-05, 02:16 PM
LOL Cook....food for thought!