PDA

View Full Version : Made in Taiwan?

Nagalfar
01-11-05, 11:58 PM
It's been an open secret for a while now that the U.S. military is running low on ammunition. But a new supplier may be emerging, if foreign press reports are accurate. America may start buying some of its bullets from Taiwan.

According to Taiwan's United Evening News, the Pentagon is preparing to buy 300 million rounds of 5.56mm caliber bullets, straight from Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense.

According to an unnamed top level military official, this marks the first time America has sought to purchase from the Taiwanese defense establishment. The official said that Taiwan seeks only to recover production costs on the deal, and that should any profit be made it would go towards factory expenses.

Production will take place at Plant 205 in Kaoshiung, which is part of the Ministry of National Defense’s Bureau of Armaments and Acquisition. The absence of large-scale military conflict in the Taiwan region over the past decades has led to surpluses and storage problems at this facility. The gradual decline in demand has resulted in Plant 205 operating at a fraction of capacity, so the deal with the Americans will be like a deluge after a long drought.
-------------------------------------------------
My thoughts... Israel offered to supply us with ammo almost a YEAR ago.. BUT, the smart guys in the pentagon though it would be best if Israels offer was denied do to the fact we (America) thought the rags would find it offensive that we would be shooting them with bullets marked "made in Israel".. if you can believe that crap, so now we are going to get them from Taiwan? I have a stupid question, if this is America, we feed and clothe and pay the bills for half the world, we lead the world in tech, but we cant make enough damn bullets to feed our own military???? what am I missing here? anyone?