PDA

View Full Version : Ptsd?

Eaglestrikes
01-11-05, 09:14 PM
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3989210 (Marine Suicide by Cop)

Marine 'Committed Suicide by Cop to Avoid Iraq Return'

By Mark Sage, PA, in New York

A 19-year-old US Marine committed “suicide by cop” rather than return to Iraq, police said today.

Andres Raya killed one police officer and critically injured another before being shot dead.

The gun battle erupted on the streets of the normally quiet Californian neighbourhood of Ceres on Sunday night after Raya apparently ambushed two officers.

After the initial ambush, police arrived at the scene in force. Three hours later a second gunfight erupted, with dozens of shots fired.

Ceres Police Chief Art de Werk confirmed that Sergeant Howard Stevenson, 39, was killed and officer Sam Ryno, 50, was critically injured with multiple bullet wounds.

Police told the Modesto Bee newspaper that Raya appeared determined to die rather than return to duty in Iraq.

“It was premeditated, planned, an ambush,” said Mr de Werk.

“It was a suicide by cop.”

Raya was finally gunned down as he ran towards a group of officers, and apparently reached for a second weapon.

Raya returned to the US in September after spending seven months in Iraq.

He used an assault rifle, similar to the one he was trained to use in the military, for the attack.

Julia Cortez Raya told the newspaper that her son served in Fallujah.

She said: “He came back different.”

Aside from saying, look where it was posted, I have no further comments at this time. I reread it. I am still rereading it.

TRLewis
01-12-05, 06:40 AM

Almost as good of an ad as using Lee Harvey Oswald to promote marksmanship. I feel for the families who have lost, but if the cops were insurgents he would have gotten a medal.

Mr.Rod
01-12-05, 01:00 PM
Kinda mind boggleing what combat does to people isn't it? Be real careful when dealin with combat Marines.

Namvet67
01-12-05, 01:05 PM
Does Marriage and Divorce qualify ptsd?

Mr.Rod
01-12-05, 01:10 PM
AND HOW ! ! ! !

JAG5150
01-12-05, 01:29 PM
Hell now a day anything qualifies as ptsd.

Mr.Rod
01-12-05, 01:56 PM
I hurt my lil pinkie......

JAG5150
01-12-05, 01:57 PM
You can probably sue the manufacturer of the key board. "I'm fearful to type now, my finger might get hurt again."

Mr.Rod
01-12-05, 02:03 PM
LOL........but this is sposed to be a serious thread i think

JAG5150
01-12-05, 02:09 PM
When have we ever stayed on the topic of a thread????

Eaglestrikes
01-12-05, 08:06 PM
LOL........but this is sposed to be a serious thread i think.
It's whatever you want it to be.

Mr.Rod
01-13-05, 01:19 AM
Ya JAG, i can remember a time when we did.........LMAO

Eaglestrikes
01-16-05, 04:32 PM
CERES, Calif. (AP) - A Marine who killed one town police officer and wounded another one was a gang member who was high on cocaine, not a combat veteran suffering from post-traumatic stress, police said.

Investigators said they are discounting a theory that Lance Cpl. Andres Raya, 19, may have instigated a "suicide by cop" - provoking officers to shoot him - because he did not want to return to Iraq.

"During our investigation, we found he wasn't due to go back to Iraq, never faced combat situations and never even fired his gun," Stanislaus County Sheriff's Deputy Jason Woodman said Saturday.

Raya shot the two officers with a rifle outside a liquor store on Jan. 9 before police returned fire and killed him.

Raya's family and friends denied he was involved with a gang and said he was changed by the seven months he spent in Iraq before returning in September to Camp Pendleton near San Diego. They said he became withdrawn and unable to hold a conversation, and told them gruesome stories of house-to-house combat and of watching Marines commit suicide. They said he questioned the war and said he did not want to go back.

But Woodman said investigators found that Raya's transport unit never saw combat and that he was recently transferred to a unit scheduled to be deployed to Okinawa.

The investigation also uncovered ties to the Norteno gang, Woodman said, including a safe in Raya's room containing a book by a member of the prison gang Nuestra Familia, photos of Raya wearing the gang's signature color red and making gang signs with his hands, and a shopping list for black clothing, body armor, assault rifles and ammunition.

"Based on the shopping list and the statements he made, it certainly seems like he had the intention and the desire to injure or kill police officers," Woodman said.

An uncle, Nicholas Cortez of Modesto, defended his nephew, saying "stress from the service" is the only explanation for Raya's actions. "The military trained him to kill," Cortez said.

SgtDvlDog3
01-16-05, 05:49 PM
I can't tell you how many times when I was on the job, the family was in absolute denial. The kids would have pictures of themselves on their walls wearing their gang colors and throwing gang signs and yet the parents would say that's just what kids are doing these days. So now what you will see next is the family filing a lawsuit against the police department and the Corps for what this young man chose to do. He wasn't a bad kid he was just misunderstood. Plausible deniability.

Eaglestrikes
01-16-05, 05:59 PM
I can't tell you how many times when I was on the job, the family was in absolute denial
I saw it at Municpal, County and Federal.
Didn't matter what level. "Not my kid"
Yeah, Right. What make yours so special?
The only thing this punk learned was how to be a back stabber.

Toby M
01-16-05, 07:46 PM
I had a feeling but who wants to admit their kid is a dirtbag! We'd all like to think we have great kids and I'm sure there was a collective sigh of relief when the kid joined the Marines. Goes to show, you just never know...

CAR
01-18-05, 04:34 PM
Not sure if the pictures made it to the internet yet but, I have recieved some photos (at work) of the gas station in Ceres where the officer was shot. It was typical gang graffiti with the "RIP Andy" and "We'll miss you Andy", "f*ck the pigs, 187 cops".... the typical crap. If this "kid" were not in a gang he sure has some buddies who think they are. I wish I could post the pics but don't know how to do it, sorry. I know the picture have been released to the media so it will make it out if it hasn't already.

Funny how the parents never "see" it.