PDA

View Full Version : I Got A Bad Feeling On This

jinelson
01-11-05, 01:34 PM
I found the story below on another web site.. Lets hope that the local muslim rebels who are aligned with Al Quiada don't decide that our brothers are an inviting target. I have no use for political correctness. What say ya all?
Jim

MARINES DISARM TO AID VICTIMS
Associated Press
January 11, 2005

ABOARD THE USS BONHOMME RICHARD - Cpl. Sean Foley looks around the ship's main armory and takes a quick inventory. The room is overflowing with guns. Pistols, sniper rifles, machine guns, grenade launchers.
But for the time being, it's all staying right here.
In an effort to ease the fears of local officials, Marines participating in the humanitarian mission to help Indonesia recover from the earthquake and tsunami that have killed more than 100,000 people on the island of Sumatra have agreed to leave their weapons behind whenever they go ashore.
For many Marines, that's tantamount to traveling naked.
"They didn't even want us to have protection like helmets and body armor, let alone weapons, because it might look threatening," said Foley, of Erie, Pa. "That's crazy."
His concern isn't unfounded.

Though the nearly 2,000 Marines on this ship and another nearby have only just begun to trickle ashore, and are generally returning to the ship each night, the area in which they are operating presents some significant security threats.
Rebels have long been active in this region, so much so that the Indonesian government had largely restricted it from foreigners. Though a lull followed the Dec. 26 disaster, firefights near the provincial capital of Banda Aceh have been reported recently.
"We are concerned," said Col. Tom Greenwood, commanding officer of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which was diverted from duty in Iraq to join in the humanitarian operation. "The Indonesian government is taking it very seriously."
But Indonesian officials have also been reluctant to let the Marines come ashore with their weapons because of the image that might project.
"We are very concerned about force protection," Greenwood said. "But if you go in there and look like an invading force instead of a humanitarian force, that could be just as detrimental as having no security whatsoever. So you have to balance it."
In the devastated city of Meulaboh, where the Marines are expected to do much of their work and unload the bulk of their relief supplies, heavily armed Indonesian soldiers provide security.
In an exception to the no-weapons orders, Marine helicopter pilots have been allowed to carry their standard protection. Marines have also been careful to maintain close communications with their ship.
Officials stressed, however, that security was in the Indonesians' hands.
"We have full confidence in their ability to provide adequate force protection," said Gunnery Sgt. Robert Knoll, a spokesman for the Marines.
"We won't be using any of these," Cpl. Jeff Austin, of Salt Lake City, Utah, said as he set up a .50 caliber sniper rifle in the armory. "I guess the no weapons rule is understandable, since this is a humanitarian thing. But it's quite a switch for us. Usually, we never leave home without them."

Sparrowhawk
01-11-05, 01:44 PM
They should have a security detail standing by, close by, that is real close by that is armed and ready to react.

These are Muslims, anti-American Muslims that see our charity contributions as nothing less then another weakness of our form of government.

I see this whole effort as casting pearls before swines. We should ahve challenged all the Muslim countries that we would help by matching what amount of goods (not money, but American goods) they contributed to this effort.

What Muslim countries have contributed to this effort?

Your right jinelson, I 've had that same feelings ever since they first came off the choppers unarmed.

SF

Cook

Namvet67
01-11-05, 01:50 PM
DUMB DUMB & DUMBER....DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT EM

JAG5150
01-11-05, 01:50 PM
What a crock, we are out there in the middle of enemy territory and unarmed, I would not blame any Marine for refusing this order. We don't even have our own security forces. At minimum we should have a truck full of weapons right there and several snipers covering our Marines. There is a huge difference between a humanitarian mission and a suicidal mission. Somebody needs to kick the CIC in the ass and ask him what the hell he is thinkng agreeing to this. This is nothing but a recipe for disiaster.

kentmitchell
01-11-05, 02:21 PM
Let 'em take care of themselves then.
Somebody should send some blue darters to CMC and DOD about it.

yellowwing
01-11-05, 02:26 PM
There is still a low level civil war in the Aceh region. A few days ago the Indonesian Army shot 3-7 rebels, even though a cease fire has been declared.

Dang, we are the best fighting force and now we have to depend on a 3rd world 'army' full of corruption to cover our ass?

gwladgarwr
01-11-05, 03:01 PM
Wait a minute: these to-the-curb countries who got pounded by the biggest flood since Noah and desperately need our (read "Western) help but somehow find the gall to put conditions on their request to US?!

Civil war in Indonesia and Sri Lanka, Muslim riff-raff in the Philippines, and they want American military personnel who have come to help them STRIP OFF THEIR BULLET-PROOF ARMOR AND LEAVE THEIR WEAPONS AT HOME?! What are these Third-World simpletons thinking?!!

I say: pull out all American military personnel who have come to help, leave a few MREs and bottled water on the beach, and shove off. Just pull up anchor and make like Enya: sail away, sail away, sail away...

Screw 'em! They want us dead, but they want us to come and pull their indigent a**es out of the water? Doesn't take much brainpower to decide what the best thing to do is.

JAG5150
01-11-05, 03:15 PM
Why not just open our homes and let them all come live with us.

Better be careful what I say, some liberal government official might read this and pass it into law.

That's all I need, the JAG5150 act of 2005.

jinelson
01-11-05, 04:10 PM
Thanks all for affirming that I am not crazy after all, I needed the reassurance. I can't believe that CMC would allow this and I bet there has been some disention among the troops and officers,more than the article refered to. What nerve. I also agree with your posts.

Again Thanks
Jim

JAG5150
01-11-05, 05:03 PM
Honestly, I don't know how anybody prevy to this information can not have a bad feeling about this. You don't have to have been in the military not to like this situation. Anybody with half a brain can tell you that this isn't right.
I guess that this just shows how much brain power that we have in Washington.

Toby M
01-11-05, 05:53 PM
JNelson, you're from California and I was wondering if you folks have had any of these Muslim groups volunteer to help clean up any of the flooding (or mud) going on in your state??? It's okay, you don't have to answer-it was a silly question anyway! They can only think of themselves and what others can do for them...

Timber
01-11-05, 06:57 PM
I'm not the brightest bolb inthe lamp.... but this has got to be the dumbest thing I have heared of. Time to bug out and let them mop up their own mess.

HardJedi
01-11-05, 07:41 PM
typical. just typical. :(

Eaglestrikes
01-11-05, 09:24 PM
Don't you just love Politicians that don't mind conducting PC experiments with real live expendable Troops.
Let's send all the Members of the Senate, and the House of Represenatives along with all the DODO's at the State Department (I know their fine hand is in this) over there to perform Humanitarian Acts.
This Sucks. Better not be one Marine that dies.

Lotus_fire1
01-11-05, 10:32 PM
In reading the original post and the following posts one can only say that God be with the men and women who are there to help out in time of need. The outcome wether predictable or not is not always best. I pray thatGod will look after these fighting men/women and bring them home safe. Just my opinion but rahter God be the real judge. I can pray that ALL come home safe.

snipowsky
01-12-05, 04:23 AM
Marines shouldn't disarm for ****! Anyone remember Beriut October 23, 1983?

Bad effin idea!