PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Oki is OK

boodrowusmc
01-11-05, 11:24 AM
I just got my orders and it turns out that I'm going to be shipping to Okinawa in May. Has anyone gone over there yet? Any tips to make the move as smooth as possible?

More specifically, I'm taking my wife with me for a three year tour. Does anyone have any experience with that? What should I expect? I'm trying to plan this as well as I can. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pfc. Crowell

Namvet67
01-11-05, 11:28 AM
Well, I was there 8 times...but that was before they opened a McDonalds...Used to be a staging area for Vietnam. I was there in 1967,1968,1969 and 1970. I would love the chance to go back.

al20852
01-11-05, 11:36 AM
Was there in 1979-80. We had a McDonalds as well as a Baskin-Robbins. Went there just after my wife and I married. We expected the worst, mostly because of the stories you hear from senior officers who didn't want you to bring over a wife. It was a great year, and one we wouldn't trade for anything.

jinelson
01-11-05, 11:46 AM
Pfc Crowell I was there 4 times as well 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1971. You should be going to MCB Camp Butler here is the link for it

http://www.mcbbutler.usmc.mil/default.htm

All the info that you could possibly want is there I checked out.
Enjoy your tour.

Semper Fi
Jim

DSchmitke
01-11-05, 11:48 AM
Was there twice in 77-78 & 83-84 the best times Camp Butler & Naha areas.

al20852
01-11-05, 11:52 AM
Finances can, however, be an issue. When I was there, you got maybe twice as many yen to the dollar as you do now. We lived on the economy and not in base housing, and it was expensive. If you have base housing, rent won't be a problem but be prepared to pay about five times more for a Big Mac than you ever have before. Still, Naha is a big, metropolitan city and a lot of fun to just explore. There is a lot to do on the island that costs you nothing, and if you take advantage of these opportunities it will be three years that you and your wife will never forget and certainly not regret.

law_student
01-11-05, 12:14 PM
I was there from '98 to '01. My advise is to help your spouse get involved in some things once you get there. Oki can be a boring place for a spouse that is home all day (assuming she won't be working over there). The command should have some support organizations for spouses, make sure you ask about them.

Going overseas can be stressful on a relationship. You might consider finding some activities to do together (dive classes, Japanese classes, University of Maryland courses, classes at the gym offered by MWR etc). There are a ton of things to do. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF AS MANY OPPORTUNITIES AS POSSIBLE.

Make sure your spouse gets a driver's license early. I think we had to take the Driver's Improvement Course (DIC) first. When I was there the command only allowed NCO's to drive...I'm sure there are exceptions for married Marines.

Once you get there, get a feel for the deployment schedule. Oki Marines deploy a ton of places all year long: South Korea, Thailand, Australia, MEU's, etc. Every year, I probably spent half of my time deployed, but I also jumped at every chance to go somewhere. It might be stressful on your spouse if you get there and deploy and they are stuck on the Rock not knowing anybody. Keep the spouse informed.

Enjoy your tour, Okinawa has alot to offer. Keep planning ahead...

Semper Fi,
Dan

Namvet67
01-11-05, 12:29 PM
What happened to Camp Hansen or was it Hanson? That's were I was.

DSchmitke
01-11-05, 12:36 PM
The last time I was over in Okinawa it was still there up north.

jinelson
01-11-05, 01:05 PM
gbaudd I wondered the same thing I was at Camp Hansen, and Camp Schwab on Oki going to and from Nam also, my guess is they are all part of MCB Camp Butler. I did a google search and Camp Hansen, Camp Foster, Camp Schwab, Camp Courtney and Camp Kinser all show as MCC,s and list as training areas and have no official Marine Corps website like Camp Butler has.

Namvet67
01-11-05, 01:15 PM
Ok thanks jinelson.

Jarhed
01-11-05, 03:52 PM
Hey Pfc,

Like I said in the other forum, please be sure to send me a couple pics of Camp Kuwah hospital in Naha if you can. I was born there in 64 and have never really seen where I was born.

pretty please? :yes:

boodrowusmc
01-12-05, 11:48 AM
You got it, jarhed! :)