PDA

View Full Version : Announcement from Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk
01-10-05, 06:41 AM
Announcement from Sparrowhawk

It is with great regret that I am stepping down as a Moderator for this site.

It takes a lot of time to view all posting, to assure Leatherneck.Com's integrity is maintained and complied with at all times, while still allowing Marines to be Marines. I no longer have the time necessary to devote here, that Leatherneck.Com deserves, in order to be an effective Moderator.

This is a personal decision.

I thank everyone here for all of your support, your questions and the assistance I have been able to provide in the past.

While I will remain as a member, I will no longer respond to correct problems on the board (unless I start them, LOL). Please PM Jerry or Ellie for that.

SEMPER FIDELIS

Cook

garryh123
01-10-05, 06:55 AM
We all still love ya Cook! Brother!

Sgt Sostand
01-10-05, 07:15 AM
Sparrowhawk thank for your service as Moderator

Osotogary
01-10-05, 07:28 AM
I guess this is all because you're getting a new dog and all...isn't it? :) Seriously, thank you for all of your help and humor as moderator. I really appreciated it. And your book???? Keep me up to snuff on its release date. Okay?
Adios. Get some rest.

thedrifter
01-10-05, 07:45 AM
I can't words together at this time...

Hurting Yet...

Ellie

Lock-n-Load
01-10-05, 07:49 AM
:marine: Well Done, Marine...you rank as one of the best on this Marine website...you know best and smooth seas to you, FMF Marine...you're still in the squad...again, Well Done, Marine. Semper Fi:marine:

B A Hall
01-10-05, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the help you have given me.

USMC-FO
01-10-05, 08:01 AM
Well this is disappointing news !

In any event good luck and hopefully you'll stay close and continue to make a lot of noise on the site....your opins and humor are important elements to the sites success.

Semper Fi Cook !!

jinelson
01-10-05, 08:06 AM
Thanks for your service Cook, will you still feed us from time to time?

Semper Fi

Jim

Namvet67
01-10-05, 08:42 AM
I am sorry to hear this Cook. It will be hard for someone to fill your boots. Good luck! Semper Fi

DSchmitke
01-10-05, 08:44 AM
Cook Thanks for your time and service to the best Marine site.

mrbsox
01-10-05, 08:45 AM
Sorry to hear your decision :no:

But....

Welcome back to the
FREE FIRE zone :banana:

Terry

marinemom
01-10-05, 08:50 AM
Sorry to hear that, Cook - you have given time, talent and humor in the position.

But - like Terry and the rest - glad you are still going to be here with us.

Pat

yellowwing
01-10-05, 09:16 AM
Sorryto hear that, Cook. From the other "side of the aisle" you were fair compansioate and honst.

Semper Fi :marine:

radio relay
01-10-05, 09:21 AM
I haven't been posting much lately, but stop by everyday, because I enjoy coming here. Your input and commentary is always appropo, and entertaining. You're one of the reasons for the quality of this website, Cook.

I'm sure the new moderator will do fine, but they have big shoes to fill!

Namvet67
01-10-05, 09:29 AM
Cook... She wishes you would stay on but you gotta do what you gotta do. Enjoy your new found free time. cj

Toby M
01-10-05, 09:38 AM
Well, it looks like that fireplace is going to get more use...the hot chocolate will have to be re-stocked more often and the backs of your shoes polished again (from keeping your feet up)...enjoy the peace and quiet-HA!!!
Seriously though, I have enjoyed reading your posts. Your humor will be greatly missed!

JAG5150
01-10-05, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by gbudd
I am sorry to hear this Cook. It will be hard for someone to fill your boots. Good luck! Semper Fi
Yeah but think about the fun that we'll have breaking in a new moderator, Kind on like breaking in a boot butter bar.
But seriously Cook, you will be missed as a moderator but Iif I know you, you'll be on the site as much as ever and causing trouble for the new moderator.:marine:

jinelson
01-10-05, 10:40 AM
Now that makes me feel better JAG5150, that will be fun heehehe

JAG5150
01-10-05, 03:26 PM
Do we have any idea when the new moderator will be here or who it will be?

Namvet67
01-10-05, 03:33 PM
Any volunteers? Requirements: 1. Retired 2. Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound 3. A Marine with experience 4. A sense of humor 5. Thick skinned 6. Speaks English 7. Can spell 8. Knows women as well as men 9. Can speak to young and old alike...and the number 10 reason.....any suggestions?

vfm
01-10-05, 04:06 PM
Outstanding job Cook.Will miss all of your insight & humor.
SEMPER FI!!!
vfm

Sgt Morales, AM
01-10-05, 04:14 PM
Cook...
I am honored to have met such a well rounded person/Marine like you. Even though your time as a moderated has come to an end, I am overjoyed and relieve to know that you will still be around to crack some jokes. Good luck in your new endeavors and my God bless you for being such a great friend to all of us!
See you in the funny papers!

Ann

MillRatUSMC
01-10-05, 05:08 PM
You'll be miss, as a moderator, but you'll still be posting.
So we can still look for posts from "Cook the Gunner aka SparrowHawk.
"Whomp, Whomp"...
Is that a chopter, I hear coming in to take us on a "SparrowHawk"?
Shades of Nam.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
01-10-05, 05:10 PM
God!, what a post for my 1600 message on this message board.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

greensideout
01-10-05, 06:37 PM
Later Sparrowhawk. Thanks for the humor you share, the kindness you give and an encouragement that you bring to us to view the light side of life.

See you next "saturday".

Semper Fi,
GSO

HardJedi
01-10-05, 06:42 PM
awww, were we THAT much trouble? really? :D

rsta
01-10-05, 06:43 PM
You ought to get a meritorious mast, or something! Attaboy, Cook, for a job well done. As moderator, we're gonna miss you. I, like many others, appreciate your input and humor that you contribute to this site. Look forward to hearing from you.

Semper Fi,
Bob

femalemarine_89
01-10-05, 06:46 PM
I hate the fact that you are stepping down Cook. We all love ya and you do a hell of a job. You assist in areas that you can assist in. But the good part is that you will still be here with us.

Sparrowhawk
01-10-05, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by MillRatUSMC
God!, what a post for my 1600 message on this message board.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Outstanding Hermano....

I think we, both need to get a life... LMAO

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

As mrbsox said, like entering a FREE FIRE ZONE...

I feel a great sense of FREEDOM.

Click on the picture...

http://www.magicdragon.com/Wallace/melblue2.gif (http://161.58.5.90/bravehrt/freedom.wav)

LMAO

Timber
01-10-05, 06:54 PM
Cook I have not been here long, but I do hate to see you go. See you around. Semper Fi

JAG5150
01-10-05, 06:59 PM
Does this mean that we can talk bad about Cook? Oh wait, we already did that.

JAMarine
01-10-05, 07:10 PM
Caring on Marine. We'll keep up the post. You come back whenever ya can. We'll miss ya but your not gone.

Sempers Brother

clavos
01-10-05, 08:01 PM
Semper Fi, MARINE

garryh123
01-10-05, 08:06 PM
He is just giving up his moderator job.....Doesn't mean he won't stop posting.....and annoying us.....and giving us all a hard time....ROFLMAO.......we all luvz ya Cook!

yellowwing
01-10-05, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I'm sure if I post any of my my Liberal drivel, Cook will have something to say about it! :banana:

Arlene Horton
01-10-05, 10:40 PM
Cook: In the short time I've been a member I always appreciated your posts, especially when you made me laugh about my computer "boo-boos". Happy you'll still be around. Enjoy your life and your lovely family. Thanks and SEMPER FI, MARINE. Arlene

Sparrowhawk
01-11-05, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing
Yeah, I'm sure if I post any of my my Liberal drivel, Cook will have something to say about it! :banana:

Now, you tell me.

I just figured you; was a bit ... a bit, a bit,

well you know..

touched in the head.. LMAO

http://marines.bizland.com/liberal.jpg

yellowwing
01-11-05, 08:02 PM
Well yeah, a bit! :D

Sparrowhawk
01-11-05, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by gbudd
Any volunteers? Requirements: 1. Retired 2. Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound 3. A Marine with experience 4. A sense of humor 5. Thick skinned 6. Speaks English 7. Can spell 8. Knows women as well as men 9. Can speak to young and old alike...and the number 10 reason.....any suggestions?

I don't know gbudd, but when Roger nominated me for moderator; he emailed Jerry my qualifications; LMAO

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/eyes.gif

My name's Cook Barela, blood kin to the grizzy that bit General Westmoreland's ass!

I was born on Veterans Day, cause my papa got horny on Valentine’s Day.
My grandma has drank more whisky than there is in all of Kentucky, My grandpa rode lightening bolts every year in New Mexico for the 4th of July fireworks show and I was there in Oklahoma when they hung the jerk, who invented work.

I can fart in my sleep a fireball high into the sky, my skin is tougher than a desert tortoise, and I have peed in the Rio Grande and the Mississippi at the same time. I've ridden the mule that kicked holes in the sky, and shook off Paul Bunyan and its saddle. I’ve slept with slavering wolves, and shared a meal with lion’s in caves as dark as hell’s back door. I have mean black panthers eyes and have clobbered bark off a gum tree faster than the biggest brown bear in North Dakota.

I smell like insect repellent, I'm half horse, half gator, with panther, tiger, jungle cat, jackal and hyena thrown in and have a touch of California earthquakes in my head. I have danced with the prettiest women, and have the fastest goat, and ugliest dog this side of hell.

I can out-jump, out-run, out-eat, throw down, drag out and whip any man in all New York City.

I ain't never seen them, but my common sense tells me the Andes is but foothills compared to the jungles of Nam. The Alps are for old women and children to climb in comparison.

The deep sea is where God has done he's finest sculpturing and I aim to visit them next times I goes swimming.

I knows that there ain't no asylums for crazy Marines! And there ain't no churches except right here on this here site. There ain't no priests excepting squawking Blue Jays.

I am a Vietnam Marine Machine Gunner, sing in the shower, don't wear skivvies and I'll live until a woman breaks my heart or a bullet finds me and there ain't no laws for brave Marines!

<EMBED SRC="http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Animals/Tiger.wav"Hidden="FALSE" AutoStart="TRUE" Volume="75" Loop="FALSE" Height="24" Border="0" Width="145" Controls="SmallConsole">

greensideout
01-11-05, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

I don't know gbudd, but when Roger nominated me for moderator; he emailed Jerry my qualifications; LMAO

http://cookbarela.bizland.com/eyes.gif

My name's Cook Barela, blood kin to the grizzy that bit General Westmoreland's ass!

That "kin grizzy" didn't bite hard and long enough.

thedrifter
01-11-05, 10:12 PM
Cook,

I remember Your words to Roger when he said something to You.

What do I have to do?

"The Last time I Volunteered, They sent me to Vietnam"...LOL

Ellie

cockscap70
01-11-05, 11:33 PM
Cook, Having been on a sparrowhawk a time or two out of An Hoa and LZ Baldy, it has been a privilege to read and respond to some of your posts! Semper Fidelis Marine!

snipowsky
01-12-05, 04:12 AM
Damn...

Only been gone a week here and a week there and the **** hit the fan and it hit hard.

That sucks Cook! Glad to hear you aren't totally leaving us though.

kentmitchell
01-12-05, 04:36 AM
I'm sure the job takes over your life. That's why I'm not volunteering to replace you.
Great job while you were at it.

Koble_USMC
01-12-05, 05:58 AM
I have only been reading daily for a couple of months, but from what I have seen and what I can gather from the rest of the Marines on this site, you have done a wonderful job. Thank you and hopefully we will still see posts from time to time.

cjjohnson
01-12-05, 07:32 AM
Cook did do an excellent job and I am speaking for the non Marines on the site.....cj NOT A MARINE BUT RAISED BY ONE I like the requirements as posted by gbudd...That is Sparrowhawk. The number 10 requirement? I don't know but I think a law enforcement background is a plus...There you have it...all10 point directly at Cook Barela. cj out

airframesguru
01-12-05, 09:33 AM
Hell no you can't go (chant)

Sorry to see you go sir! hope you will be around more often than not.

Semper Fi,

Mike

mrbsox
01-12-05, 09:40 AM
Maybe he is just freeing up some of his time....

to prepare....

to run....

for GOVERNOR of Calif :banana:

Beware !!
The 'SPARROW-nagger'

thedrifter
01-12-05, 09:44 AM
Terry

He is always in the thick of everything....;)

That's Our Cook!!!

Ellie

femalemarine_89
01-12-05, 09:49 AM
Well I think Cook was the best one that there was, and ever will be.

Mr.Rod
01-12-05, 12:54 PM
Cook, I don't know if Ellie forwarded my apology to everyone concerned in this situation or not, but it was meant for you also. I got lost in a different place and time for a while back there and kinda, sorta came unglued a little. I'm sorry things turned out the way they did, but maybe it was for the best, I hope. Take care........Rod

JAG5150
01-12-05, 01:35 PM
I'm getting all teary eyed in here.

Mr.Rod
01-12-05, 01:39 PM
You LIE........I know how you cold-hearted, beer drinkin, ****-mixin Marines are.........LOL...........whattup JAG?

JAG5150
01-12-05, 01:45 PM
Seems like a good day to do whatever you desire.

JAG5150
01-12-05, 01:46 PM
That is as long as I am not your desire, I don't believe in the don't ask don't tell rule.

grayshade
01-12-05, 01:55 PM
Hey there, Cook, Semper Fi, brother. Been a pleasure ta have ya as moderator, still hope ta talk to ya from time ta time. Been a good guy, naked or not, carry-on carrying on. I'm getting all teary eyed like ol' Jag. Excuse me a moment. :(

Mr.Rod
01-15-05, 11:24 AM
Guess apologies don't mean much in here...but that's cool too, did my part as a man but guess it fell on deaf ears......Oh well

Mr.Rod
01-15-05, 11:44 AM
It's only common coutresy that if someone is man enough to apologize to someone that they either accept or deny the apology on a man to man basis.......either that or they are not a man as far as i am concerned. Know what i mean Vern?

Mr.Rod
01-15-05, 11:50 AM
So ya see, if I screw up and apologize to someone and they either ignore it, or have someone else do their talking for them, then that POS isn't worth wastin my time with.

Mr.Rod
01-15-05, 08:30 PM
then let them tell me that to my face

Mr.Rod
01-15-05, 08:37 PM
besides, it's not me that's confused, ya see....I deal with things straight up and face to face like a little boy playing with his little toy.

paul g fleming
01-15-05, 08:43 PM
GOOD LUCK

yellowwing
01-15-05, 11:24 PM
Oh, chr*st, as in all of life, it's not as you want and desire, it is 'What It Is'. Adapt.

F*ck, I'd love to meet all my Brothers and Sisters at Leatherneck for the daily Seven, and a 6k run.

Then after an honest day's work, we could meet up for a cold one. But that is not reality, Bro.

G'Dammit! Respect is in the giving as well as the expecting! We have all given way much more the than average Joe citizen for our Country. From the new Pvt at Grad Ceremony to all Fmr CMCs.

Just take 24hrs and think about what you can contribute, rather than what is owed.

You know in your heart, we will NEVER be repaid what is truly owed to us as MARINES! GWB can't do it, Shaffer and Ellie can't do it, "Frank Smith" of Ogden Utah can't do it!

Semper Fidelis! :marine:

hrscowboy
01-16-05, 03:31 AM
well i can say that this site has kept my sanity together thats a real deal for sure. I have spoken with vets that are in Iraq in this site and they have told me the real deal. Try having 2 sons in that war and not hearing a damn thing except whats on the boop tube and wondering and hoping my Marine brothers dont come knocking on my door to give me and the wife a death message. yes there are times when we all dont see eye to eye on alot of things but the bottom line is where still brothers and no one can take that away from us and i mean NO ONE. Too be very blunt there isnt a Marine here if i knew he needed help I would do everything in power to get him the help. enuff said i am pullin out the soap box.

Sparrowhawk
01-16-05, 08:38 AM
police force. I turned in a Vehicle Impound Report without getting it signed by the Supervisor on duty.

It was a new policy read to us during roll call that morning, which the sergeant hadn't bothered to read. The following morning, that sergeant called me in from the field to chew my ass off for not having him sign it.

I referred him to the new special order but he refused to acknowledge that he was wrong and said he was going to write me up. I think there was a bit of jealousy in him, since I was dating a girl he had tried to hit on, but she had turned him down. Sometimes there are other motives behind an individuals actions.

I told him to go ahead and write me up, but that I would want a meeting with him and the lieutenant. The lieutenant wasn’t all there, but he had to agree with me and as we walked out of the office the sergeant was fuming mad. As I stopped to drink water from the water fountain next to our office that sergeant came up next to me and said;

“Barela, I’m going to get even with you.”

I turned and looked at him, and a though came to mey mind;

“This fellow has no concept of what life is all about.”

The thought of what John Niedringhaus my a-gunner in Nam, had said to me so many years ago flowed through my mind.

“For those that have fought for it, life has a flavor, the protected will never know.”

I don't know if John made up those words but he's is the earlies recollection of that saying that I have found (June 1967).

There are some people that can never walk in our shoes that have never tasted the pains of sorrow, hunger, death and destruction in the battle field. Who have never struggled in life, here at home, whose priorities are so minute compared to the realities of life that it’s useless trying to share with them a common bond with those who have.

I always take my problems with others here and in life to the back burner and discuss them in private. If we don’t come to an agreement or I see we’re not going to get anywhere, I chuck it up for experience, and move on. I have decided long ago, to choose my battles in life and some are just not worth my time or efforts. I ignore such people or the topic he/she wishes to discuss, in front of others.

After all they have every perfect right to be wrong; I fought for their right, and my right for it to be that way. I’ll live my life for those who lost theirs by my side in the rice paddy fields of South East Asia and for what brings me pleasure.

Of course every once in awhile its good to stir the blood up, and to fight a good fight. It is then that I lock-n-load and before the person realizes it, they have made themselves to look like a fool, then I quietly walk away...

Just my thoughts on misunderstanding...

Semper Fi

Cook

Sparrowhawk
01-16-05, 08:45 AM
The sergeant did get even with me. Four years later, he attended a funeral I was called upon to conduct as one of the police departments chaplain, for an officer that I was there for had committed suicide.

That sergeant that said he would get even with me was there in attendance. The sergeant wrote up a complaint note to the chief of police to say that I hadn't conducted it in a professional manner as I had showned too much emotion.

When the chief asked me about it; I said;

I didn't preside over that service to please Sgt. Edwards; I tailored the services to meet the needs of police officers' relatives.

SF

Cook

PS on the PS

Service to others is one of the greatest joy one can receive in this world.

yellowwing
01-16-05, 10:13 AM
...Shaffer and Ellie can't do it... I was in wrong on that one. Shaffer and Ellie can, and do give us a measure of payment, just by being family.

Semper Fi! :marine: