PDA

View Full Version : Turned down again!

Master Sephiroth
01-06-05, 10:06 PM
As some of you know, I tried talking to a recruiter because I want to join the Marine Corps, but I had severe nerve damage done to my right hand during a surgery in 2001. I told the recruiter about it and he said I'm disqualified. I then talked to another one where my dad lives and he said the same thing.

I've always supported the Military, but the Marines have my greatest respect and I will not settle for any other branch.

But how does respect and support help? It doesn't! Respect and support doesn't do ****! In the words of my recruiter (second one I talked to), what the Corps needs is more men. I'm willing to be one of the Few and serve in Iraq or Afghanistan.

But, I've been turned down twice. What should I do?

HardJedi
01-07-05, 12:07 AM
well, buddy, not much you CAN do. If you believe in a god, then pray. Or if you believe in destiny, then maybe yours lies along a different path.

When I joind the Corps, I never planned on living to leave it. I just KNEW whithin 4 years, as an 0311, something would kill me. Taken me MANY years to find my path afterwards. just keep looking. you'll find yours.

Lock-n-Load
01-07-05, 05:53 AM
:marine: What does it take for you to realize ...you are not to be a Marine because of a hand injury you have...the two [2] Marine recruiters gave you a reality check, which you keep refusing to accept...try the Army...their physical qualifications are much less demanding than the United States Marine Corps....stop pi*sing 'n moaning about a lack of "Respect and Support" by 2 Marine recruiters...that has nothing to do with your infirmiry...what's all that gibbberish at the end of your post??...speak English in here..."Move on, kid, you're holding up the line". :marine:

ramy
01-07-05, 08:12 AM
Something you might want to consider, the homeland security dept is hiring guys like you for the home front. Its a great way to serve your country. I seen it on tv a while back. You might want to check up on that.

Good luck

DSchmitke
01-07-05, 08:45 AM
Time to try another Branch of service.

Good Luck

JAG5150
01-07-05, 09:25 AM
Try the army or another branch, if you still want to be a Marine do a lateral move after your time is done with them, it might be easier coming from another branch of service.

Master Sephiroth
01-07-05, 09:55 AM
Lock-n-Load: You seem to have misunderstood what I said about Respect and Support. What I said was that I have a great deal of respect and support for the Military (especially the Marines) but MY respect and support for them is no help.

I'll try out for the Navy or the NY National Guard then.

Bret
01-07-05, 01:17 PM
Hey Boaz! As you know, I wish you the best of luck tring to get in the Marines.
Now I dont know the full extent of your physical injury but from what I gathered is that the Marine boot camp training is very intence and will your injury cause you a problem in boot? As far as my physical problem goes, I see there being a very slime chance of something going wrong there. If you think the same way than do what im going to do(keep it quite).

SEE YA BRO:thumbup:

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 01:23 PM
I know its tough Boaz.. I am sorry to hear your problem.. If they have turned you down 2 times now, then there are other options for you to try. there is nothing to say that you still cant hold the up most respect for Marines.. But maybe if you want to join the military you should look into other branches. I know we all rag on one another in the different branches. but if it is something that you want to accomplish.. THEN GO FOR IT.. Pray about it..

http://www.wtv-zone.com/coplove/Cops/trprcar.gif

Lock-n-Load
01-07-05, 05:45 PM
:marine: Not everyone can be a US Marine....it's just the cards dealt you...good luck in your travels...Semper Fi:marine:

AshleyMS
01-17-05, 10:49 PM
Boaz,
Ok well I am sorry to hear about your hand and the fact that the Marine Corps is denying you right now, but there is still hope. Just like a fellow Marine had mentioned in a previous post, try another branch and maybe after your term is up you can transition over to the Marine Corps. As to the support and respect, it does alot actually, think about this...there are troops over in Iraq and various places that dont have anyone to write to them, no one to send them care packages and such, when there are people like that they get depressed. If you look around there are alot of ways that you can help those troops even with just letters and thank you notes. I have "adopted" a WM that is currently serving in Iraq, she had no one and I cant get into detail but basically I sent her letters until I was able to get enough items together to send in a care package. You wouldnt believe how thankful that Marine was, it made her day to get those letters and that first care package. It makes a big difference even to just send a little note saying thank you and keep up the good work. Just dont get discouraged and dont say that your respect and support doesnt do anything because it does. Well this was long enough so going to stop now...lol Semper Fi

al20852
01-18-05, 08:19 AM
Can't tell you how many wash out during boot camp or OCS because of physical problems that limit them or prevent them from passing various physical (and mental) tests and challenges. You do not want to expend the effort to go to boot camp only to find that you wash out at a late stage of the game. I guarantee you that, no matter how clever and motivated you are, this will be a problem. We can all be sympathetic, but there really is a bottom line here. Any physical limitation that might increase the risk of you or a fellow Marine getting killed or wounded is considered to be a problem and the Marines do not consider personal feelings in making the cut.

Fred Pfeiffer
01-18-05, 09:26 AM
Boaz,

Just some thoughts.

You said that you "had severe nerve damage done to my right hand during a surgery in 2001".

There is a lot being done in medical practice these days. I have heard of cases where individuals have overcome these kinds of nerve issues with a lot of hard and dedicated rehabilation. That is always a possibility for your situation. Thought it can be a lot of very hard work.

More often I have seen individuals who have asked for (prayed) and received a divine healing. I know that God, more often than not, intervines into our affairs when we ask Him, because He loves us. Not always, but often enough to know it is not simply luck or chance or something like that. Check out your relationship to God and Jesus Christ and ask Him to heal your hand. He often answers in the affirmative to those who ask in faith. If He doesn't answer with a divine healing, continue to seek Him for His strength, wisdom and direction in your life.

You have a good name 'Boaz', the great grandfather of King David of Israel and a man of faith. Your name 'Boaz' means 'strength'. Live up to your namesake, be strong with God's help and blessed.

Semper fidelis (Always Faithful),
Fred

Master Sephiroth
01-18-05, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Lock-n-Load
what's all that gibbberish at the end of your post??...speak English in here..."Move on, kid, you're holding up the line". :marine: [/B]

If you mean my signature, It means: "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness...bind them." I'm a Lord of the Rings nerd.

Sgt. Pfeiffer: The Captain is right. Though I do have a lot of faith and I'm exercising my hand, he does have a point. I do not want to put other men in more danger because of a physical limitation.

HardJedi
01-18-05, 10:14 PM
good lord, the language or Mordor! thats not allowed in here LOL

Master Sephiroth
01-19-05, 11:57 AM
Silence, Snaga!

Namvet67
01-19-05, 12:03 PM
Jedi...you hitting on all 8 cylinders today?

lprkn
01-19-05, 02:12 PM
Never before has the Black Speech been uttered here.

Toby M
01-19-05, 03:00 PM
GBudd my friend, it looks like you and I will have to take a class to learn the language being spoken here today! LOL I have seen all of the LOR movies and still have trouble following them...gotta be that language barrier!

Namvet67
01-19-05, 03:05 PM
Thanks Toby...I thought I was all alone here.

BHABIT
01-20-05, 08:50 AM
AL20852 is right...I know you want to be a Marine... but when you wash out, and you will, you will be in the same possition you're in now. You have to earn the name 'Marine' and with your disabilities that you have you aren't going to make it.

You need to loose the lord of the rings mental affliction... That's a worst disability than your hand!!

Master Sephiroth
01-20-05, 05:03 PM
Uh, I just acknowledged that the Captain was right. The only reason I mentioned LOTR was to explain what my signature meant...sir.

arnoldyG/2/5
01-25-05, 09:47 AM
BoazNaiman

If you can rehabilitate your hand, keep trying!!!! I was turned down twice by 2 different recruiters for having pins in my knees. Third time was the charm, my recruiter overheard another recruiter discussing one of his poolees who had pins in his shoulder and the rest is history. Don't give up until you have exhausted all of your options.

snipowsky
01-25-05, 11:43 AM
You two aren't the only ones trying to figure out what's been said here. What the **** is a snaga? That sounds ****ing snafu! Someone clean up this cluster ****!
Originally posted by gbudd
Thanks Toby...I thought I was all alone here.

snipowsky
01-25-05, 11:45 AM
I second this!

Originally posted by Toby M
GBudd my friend, it looks like you and I will have to take a class to learn the language being spoken here today! LOL I have seen all of the LOR movies and still have trouble following them...gotta be that language barrier!

Master Sephiroth
01-29-05, 09:46 PM
There is no point discussing this. I do not want to put young men in more danger than they have to be because of a problem with my hand.

jo1753
02-02-05, 05:16 AM
When uncle sam agrees to recruit someone into the military. That means they( The Military ) owns every part of that person, and agrees to any health issues that person may have at the time of enlistment.

So lets say you were accepted into the Corps with that hand the way it is.........And lets say you did somehow make it thru boot camp. For example you've served two years out of a four year hitch. Then for some reason your hand started acting up again...........Guess who is going to pay all the bills on that........???? Any clues...?

I'd say that my young friend is the biggest reason Uncle Sam is so cautious when it comes to prior injuries. I'd have to say it more a money issue then a safety one. After your boot camp and schooling is all finished.............Do you have any idea how much money, will be tied up in your training?

They look at it as a gamble.........A unnecessary risk.? Perhaps if the fighting continues along enough.........The powers-that-be will have to re-think things, according to the able bodys available at that time.........Good luck to you................Semper-Fi

Master Sephiroth
02-02-05, 06:41 AM
off topic: The physical part of boot is not what worries me. Nor is it being reprimanded all the time. It's remembering certain things by heart, like the General Orders that worry me.

On topic: I'll try talking to one more recruiter. If he turns me down, I'll accept it.

jo1753
02-02-05, 07:31 AM
As some of you know, I tried talking to a recruiter because I want to join the Marine Corps, but I had severe nerve damage done to my right hand during a surgery in 2001. I told the recruiter about it and he said I'm disqualified

BoazNaiman...that was a small part from your first post when you started this thread...............So for you to tell me or anyone else

off topic: The physical part of boot is not what worries me. Nor is it being reprimanded all the time. It's remembering certain things by heart, like the General Orders that worry me.

What is it........????? Bud your going to have to find your own way because like the old saying goes.Your speaking out of both sides of your mouth at the same time.

CrazyBrave83
02-03-05, 11:40 PM
Best of luck to you in whatever path you take, Boaz.