PDA

View Full Version : would i be out of line....

perfectcircle
01-06-05, 05:47 PM
if i had a marine corps flag decal in the back window of my truck? I saw those glassscapes with the different Marine Corps pictures and I thought it would be pretty cool to have but would I be out of line in doing so?

JAG5150
01-06-05, 05:54 PM
In my opinion until you earn the title don't fly the colors because you don't know what they stand for. Once you earn that title fly proud.

femalemarine_89
01-06-05, 05:55 PM
I have to say.. That I do not believe you should do that. Wait till you actually make it.. You have no idea what you are up against in bootcamp. You have no idea if you will make it thru boot.. JUST WAIT TILL YOU EARN IT.....

http://www.wtv-zone.com/coplove/Cops/trprcar.gif

drillinstructor
01-06-05, 05:58 PM
Come to me to earn the title hehe I will be waiting hahahahah

femalemarine_89
01-06-05, 05:59 PM
OMG Drill you do live.. Have not seen you in awhile.. You are gonna scare the poor thing.. LOL

bates_iyaoyas
01-06-05, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by perfectcircle
if i had a marine corps flag decal in the back window of my truck? I saw those glassscapes with the different Marine Corps pictures and I thought it would be pretty cool to have but would I be out of line in doing so?

Hell man, that's why Recruiters give you stickers..to paste them on everything you own to bring in referrals. Post them stickers, and decals.

StefanovicN
01-06-05, 06:32 PM
GySgt(drillinstructor) what company are you with @ MCRD... i just recently graduated Kilo (nov. 19 2004) was just curious :)

Pfc Stefanovic

perfectcircle
01-06-05, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by bates_iyaoyas

Hell man, that's why Recruiters give you stickers..to paste them on everything you own to bring in referrals. Post them stickers, and decals.

yeah that's what i thought which is why i was going to do it. I got two stickers (the logo and the word marines) they gave me but with the weather they're getting kind of sad looking.

I must say a lot of people at gas stations etc talk to me about it, and at school a lot of kids have been talking to my recruiter after seeing it and hearing about me so i figured what the hell lets do it up.

But it's what these other people are saying, don't wear the colors yada yada. I figure it's just advertising and showing support.

DrillInstructor - i'll be in PI August 1st, not Cali :(

JAG5150
01-06-05, 07:32 PM
Why the hell did you even bring up the subject if you had already placed them on your vehicle. You came here asking questions and kept quiet the entire time until you got an answer that you liked. Try this if you get to boot camp do something then ask if it is Ok, see what happens then. Perfectcircle, you haven't a clue as to what the Corps are all about.

bates_iyaoyas
01-06-05, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by JAG5150
Why the hell did you even bring up the subject if you had already placed them on your vehicle. You came here asking questions and kept quiet the entire time until you got an answer that you liked. Try this if you get to boot camp do something then ask if it is Ok, see what happens then. Perfectcircle, you haven't a clue as to what the Corps are all about.

and you don't have a clue how to talk to a poolees in a section SPONSORED by the United States Marine Corps RECRUITING command. Seriously, you all talk $hit, but this is the exact reason apathy is at an all time high, and Recruiters (like myself) have to put in frickin 18 hr workdays 7 days a week.

perfectcircle
01-06-05, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by JAG5150

Alright tough guy why don't you try reading my posts before you jump on me. If you weren't so arrogant as to skim through everything maybe you'd actually be able to make an intelligent reply...but I guess i'd be asking too much.

I don't have the flag on my vehicle. As stated in the original post I want to mount a marine corps flag decal back there covering the entire window. If you refer to my other post I replied (when i had the time, sorry I don't sit on my ass on the computer all day waiting for replies.) that i had stuck two stickers the Marine Corps Recruiters had given me (and I thus decribed which they were.)

Get off your high horse, just because you're a Marine you aren't god. Sorry i'm trying to show some respect for the Corps and not jump the gun.

GySgtRet
01-06-05, 08:30 PM
bates_iyaoyas,

Amen to the hours. And windshield time. A retaliatory strick by a poolee. Damn...!!! That sucks...!!!

MillRatUSMC
01-06-05, 08:32 PM
perfectcircle, get use to it, a question was asked, and answers were given to what you post.
They can see you neither can you see them.
If you're to survive in the Corps, you can have a "thin skin".
As the Drill Instructor will attest, things will be harder through you tour or tours in the Corps.
JAG5150, is a NCO or Non-Commission Officer in the Corps and he earn the right for some respect.
No he not God, but many give thanks to God that there many more like JAG5150.
My opinion place that Marine Corps Flag decal on your truck.
No harm, no fault.
There rigs on the road with ads for the Marine Corps recruit.
I'm sure all those truck drivers were not all Marines.
They just support the Marine Corps.
One think that I learn while I was active....RESPECT...for all from the lowest to the highest.
I never address an Officer by his or her first name, unless they give me instructions to fore go addressing them by Sir, or Ma'am.
A Drill Instructor is address that way by me never as a "DI".
They earn that title, and thet deserve to be address as a Drill Instructor.
Well so much for that, take care and may God bless you, whereever you go in life.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

bates_iyaoyas
01-06-05, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by GySgtRet
bates_iyaoyas,

Amen to the hours. And windshield time. A retaliatory strick by a poolee. Damn...!!! That sucks...!!!

Good dam thing a poolee doesn't talk to me like that. However I wouldn't give him a reason too. I'm sure Jag will unload on the kid, and the kid deserves the a$$ chewin, he didn't however deserve to be disrespected in the first post though

To the kid, you do need to get thicker skin. Sometimes old crusty's will say stuff that will pi$$ you off, but they have earned the right to be a little crass or cocky.

cjjohnson
01-06-05, 08:55 PM
perfectcircle...put them decals on...and show your support for the United States Marine Corps...You can't wear the uniform (yet) but you sure can show em what team you are on.....cj

femalemarine_89
01-06-05, 08:56 PM
Well I would love to hear him speak to a DI like that.. He needs a good ass chewin, and I agree I am sure that Jag will give him one when he reads this..

GySgtRet
01-06-05, 09:09 PM
perfectcircle,

Son I have no problem with you putting stickers and Marine Corps stuff on your vehicle just don't modify it to be disrespectful. Good luck and grow some thicker skin. And do ask the Drill Instructor any questions that you don't want the answer to. In other words keep your head and eyes to the front and just stair 1000 feet in front of you.

JAG5150
01-07-05, 11:06 AM
Alright, now you want to be disrespectful and you haven't even left your mama's side. I have been places and done things that you don't even have nightmares about. It is because of men like me that you have the opportunities that you have (Female Marines not excluded). I may have misunderstood your origional post but there is no mistaking your complete lack of respect, go ahead and head to boot camp with that attitude. And just to clarify what colors are, they are the Gold and Red that you do not know what they stand for, not Old Glory. This is not the place or time for you to try to become a man, you will lose every time.

Sgt. Smitty
01-07-05, 12:29 PM
It really saddens my heart to see a future Marine get ragged on. The boy made his choice to fly the logo and stuff given him by Marines, and is headed to boot shortly, if i got the right meaning from his post. He's made his choice and asked an honest question lookin for an HONEST answer and from what i can gather from all this all he got was flak. Is this the way we deal with future Marines and those who support us? WTF is goin on here?

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 12:37 PM
Smitty.. what the original post was about the full window cover for the rear window of the vehicle.. If he didnt want peoples honest opinion of the situation he never should have asked.. The post was not about stickers.. I dont have a problem with stickers.. I have a problem with someone who is not a marine to use it across his whole window.. Its trying to show that hes something that he has not yet accomplished.. Oh by the way smitty.. Good mornin.

JAG5150
01-07-05, 12:53 PM
Now I have no problem with the sticker but when you talk about a full glassscape covering the entire rear window, I feel that you need to earn that privlidge.

Sgt. Smitty
01-07-05, 12:54 PM
I can see everyones point in here, trust me, but it still irritates me when someone wants to show support for the Corps, not matter how, that he gets ragged on. My oldest boy had the biggest Marine Corps globe and anchor on his car that he could find because he was proud of the fact that his dad was a Marine. If this boy wants to cover his entire back window with OUR logo and show his support for it then why the hell put him down? Ya'all got me goin on this one now. If i saw his truck with the eagle,globe and anchor in the back window it would make me proud and happy that someone shows the support for the Coprs that this boy is tryin to do. The Corps gets picked on and cut down enough without us trying to tell a young person that wants to show his respect and admiration and support for the Corps that what he wants to do is aggrevating to Marines. I say SUPPORT this boy and be thankful that he takes enough pride to fly the eagle globe and anchor, not rag on him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 12:57 PM
Was not ragging on him Smitty.. No matter what everyone has their own opinion of the situation. I am not trying to make waves.. But we all have our own opinions and this boy asked us..

B A Hall
01-07-05, 01:01 PM
The only thing I want to say is my son graduated in Nov. And they had 24 recycled or kicked out.Marine aint an easy title to earn and is not for every Joe.Don't be so quick and cocky,Good Luck.Semper Fi.

JAG5150
01-07-05, 01:02 PM
O.K. Smitty I can see your point if view but my major problem with this kid is his lack of respect.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 01:03 PM
that he does.. that he does Jag..

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 01:15 PM
Listen guys. I think a lot of you (femalemarine_89) are a bit confused. No where in here was I upset about someones opinion. No where. I asked, and I respectfully accepted each and everyones opinion. I wanted to know what you guys thought about it. No where did I say "well im doing it anyways."

Moving on, I have no problem with respect. I could tell you all about myself but there is no need for that. I respect everyone who respects me. Will I talk to my Sgt's like that, will i talk to my DI like that? No, why? Because they respect me. They're doing their job.

JAG5150 decided to skim through the posts and rag on me for the little information he gathered from his speed reading. It is not my fault that he did not get the point I was trying to make in my post, nor do I apologize to him. It was in fact arrogant of him to rag on me like he did. What I do apologize for is for offending anyone else on this site, and disrepecting them if any way shape or form by my words in this thread or by carrying the Marine Corps logo on the back of my car.

Maybe it is so that I have thin skin, I have always thought of myself as pretty laid back. Maybe that isn't the case, but if someone wants to show respect for me, I will gladly show respect for them, and vice versa. That is the only thing that I am guilty of.

Much thanks to each and everyone of you who properly gave their opinion and who have been on my side during this ordeal, you have my gratitude.

JAG5150
01-07-05, 01:18 PM
I am done with this subject and this civilian, it is not worth my time or thought.

Namvet67
01-07-05, 01:19 PM
Perfectcircle does have a little edge on him but..except for one outburst...he appears to me to have the right attitude and motivation to join our Corps. His thin skin will get thick soon enough. Put them decals all over you vehicle if you want. I like seeing them when I'm going down the road. Come on back to the thread perfectcircle...most of us are here for you. You are dealing with a rough crowd here and it takes guts to show up and talk to us. Good luck

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 01:19 PM
No offense perfect.. But you can not have thin skin in the Corps.. You have to grow thicker skin.. What we say in here is nothing compared to what you will hear out there. I never once seen in here where you were not respected. I think sometimes things get out contact once in awhile. But back to the point. I do not see a problem with putting stickers on your car.. GO FOR IT.. as for the huge window idea.. Just wait until you make it thru boot. Then that will have more of a meaning for you..

Timber
01-07-05, 01:27 PM
Perfectcircle when you ask for an opinion from Marines you will get them good, bad and indifferent. First let me tell you that no DI is going to show you any respect until you earn it and then it will not be much. Even after you earn the title, if you earn it, you will still have to earn the respect of Marines through your actions. As time goes on you will be given respect from others as they get to know you. Just remember you don't deserve respect unitl you earn it.

Timber
01-07-05, 01:27 PM
Perfectcircle when you ask for an opinion from Marines you will get them good, bad and indifferent. First let me tell you that no DI is going to show you any respect until you earn it and then it will not be much. Even after you earn the title, if you earn it, you will still have to earn the respect of Marines through your actions. As time goes on you will be given respect from others as they get to know you. Just remember you don't deserve respect unitl you earn it.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 01:30 PM
oops Timger.. You posted twice.. For a minute I thought my eyes were decieving me.. Nope... LOL

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 01:39 PM
JAG5150 - I actually respect that decision. Thank you for not trying to carry this on any further.

gbudd - Thank you. I'll be sticking around the board none the less. I'm not scared away just yet ha.

femalemarine_89 - I know what i hear here is nothing compared to Parris Island. We have Marines come down to our Poole functions to give us a taste of it and it is nuts and I love every second of if believe it or not. My Recruiter doesn't understand it but he loves that I am that motivated. When I get yelled at down there it's different, it's there job and I respect and thank them for what they are doing for me. I have no problem with that, when we are done with our Poole functions EVERY night I will not leave until I personally shake the hand of and t hank every marine there for giving me the privalage and opportunity to be with them.

I only want the sticker/decal to show my support, I have the little desk flag. I love anything that says Marines on it. But I do not go anywhere wearing like cammies with my name tag on it, I know the difference between supporting the Corps and suggesting im IN the Corps. But with the decal, I was in between and wanted to be sure. It seems like I have the Majorities support, and they give good arguments. But I still have to think about it.

I don't mean to get mad easily and snap at someone. I'm trying my best to take it calm but the past few days in class we're debating about Flag burnings and why it's alright/not alright and I get p***** about that. And get short tempered after.

No hard feelings guys?

Timber
01-07-05, 01:44 PM
Sorry about that FM_89. doulbe clicked this slowa** computer @ work.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 01:50 PM
lol.. Im sorry timber.. I cant type today.. LOL

as for you perfect.. Then go for it.. Put the stickers on your car to show you support.. IF when you graduate Boot and earn the Title of Marine and you want to do more.. Then go for it.. There is nothing wrong with showing support.. Just some people take it too far.. I actually ran into someone at a rest area in SC.. They had the whole back window thing, and I asked them if they were in the Corps.. Their response to that was no man I just thougth it looked cool.. Its people like that we dont need. Sometimes things get alittle confusing in here.. But for the stickers.. I say use them..

Sgt. Smitty
01-07-05, 02:33 PM
Well put Tammy.......oooorrrrrraaaaahhhhh and as for you Perfect, there are a lot of hard core Marines in here and some of us tend to get a little cranky at times. That comes with age i guess. But 89 had a good point, fly the smaller ones for now and when you finish boot camp, then fly the hell outa that big one cause it WILL have a totally new meaning for you then, trust me on that one. Semper Fi........Smitty

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 04:28 PM
Sounds good. I run into a lot of people already with just the two on there from the recruiters. I'll do some thinking it over, and see what I come up with. Thanks for the input guys.

Sgt. Smitty
01-07-05, 05:00 PM
No problems..........just be a lil more careful of the questions you ask OK? LOL Smitty

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 05:04 PM
haha i'll try and think them through first and see if they'll cause a riot or not before I post

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 07:35 PM
Thats all thats to it perfect.. You have to watch how you word things, everyone takes things into a different context than other people.. SO not everyone sees things in the same way.. Good luck with everything..

bates_iyaoyas
01-07-05, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by perfectcircle
haha i'll try and think them through first and see if they'll cause a riot or not before I post

atta boy...learning has occured. :marine:

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by bates_iyaoyas

atta boy...learning has occured. :marine:

do I get a cookie?

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 09:05 PM
NOOOOO.. YOU DONT GET A COOKIE.. GO DO SOME PUSHUPS.. LOL

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 09:11 PM
hey do I have to stay in this section of the board or can I mingle around?

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 09:13 PM
I guess mingle if you want.. I have seen other poolees in other posts.. Just becareful of what you post..

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 09:15 PM
sweet. It's like new territory.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 09:16 PM
LOL...

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 09:41 PM
well i just tried and my post disapeared so i quit for now lol. Tomorrow i'll venture out again.

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 09:43 PM
where did you try to post at??

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 09:45 PM
Nevermind. I'm not allowed to post on the board. i can, " have an opinion but its not allowed on this board."

oh well.

btw it was, open squad bay (half mast thread)

perfectcircle
01-07-05, 09:49 PM
I'm not allowed to say anything according to "thedrifter". Rumor from him has it i'm allowed this forum and only this forum because my thoughts don't count anywhere else. He deleted my posts...

femalemarine_89
01-07-05, 09:49 PM
thats what i though too jedi.. but he says he was unable to post...

SuNmAN
01-09-05, 03:16 PM
With respect, I think you all need to just relax. If he wants a Marine Corps decal on his car, so be it. Its a reflection of what he wants to be. Just like I'm sure if someone wants to be president he'd have Ronald Reagan posters in his room, or if someone wanted to be a singer he would have pictures and stickers of his favorite singer.

My philosophy is - if you don't think you'd get an answer you like, dont even ask. I had a Semper Fi bumper sticker and a USMC emblem decal even before I enlisted in the DEP. If your recruiter gives them to you, he obviously doesn't mind you putting them on your car. Furthermore, there are many CIVILIANS with no association with the USMC who sport these decals and stickers, that just shows their support and respect of the United States Marine Corps.

With all due respect to the NCOs and SNCOs who disagree, I believe there is no harm done whatsoever. Just put them on. Show your support and respect to the United States Marine Corps.

snipowsky
01-09-05, 03:36 PM
Personally I can't stand to see someone flying our colors unless they are one of us or a family member of one of us. I've drove past people with Marine Corps stickers and yelled "Semper Fidelis" to them and they just look at me like I'm nuts. It's easy to spot the wannabes and the non-hackers. Makes me sick seeing someone flying our colors who doesn't rate. Same goes for our t-shirts or anything else that says U.S. Marines or Marines for that matter.

Earn the title first, then fly our colors!

enviro
01-09-05, 04:52 PM
Stickers, shirts, and flags don't make the Marine.

I have never assumed anyone was a Marine because they have a sticker on their car. No one gets that respect until I confirm your status (normally just by talking to you).

My daughter wears Marine Corps clothing all the time. She's 6. She loves the Corps. Her Daddy and Mommy were both Marines and she wants to be one when she grows up. Great.

Anyone ever wear their favorite football team's sweatshirt or ballcap? Are you a poser or do you just support your team?

femalemarine_89
01-09-05, 06:40 PM
I agree with that enviro.. Makes alot of sence. Heck my mom and dad and my little brothers for that matter wear the Marine Corps clothes. They are proud.. There are times you can never be for sure if someone is related to a Marine, they could be dating a Marine, they could be related to a Marine.. Just because they want to wear them dont mean that they are trying to be posers..

drillinstructor
01-09-05, 07:05 PM
I dare someone to tell my mother she can not support her son.....My mother wears it proudly.....and no she was not a Marine but supports me...and yes if someone yells Semper Fi at her she probably will look at you like you are stupid but hey......its all good

garryh123
01-09-05, 07:13 PM
My Mother is the wife of A Marine...my Father....and she is the Mother of A Marine! Me!. I could not be a lifer because I f'd my foot up( was attacked by a nail stickin out of a lawn chair while divin in a pool..nerve damage)......If anyone ever questions why she has Marine Corps stickers on her car......they will have double hell to pay!

bates_iyaoyas
01-10-05, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by snipowsky
Personally I can't stand to see someone flying our colors unless they are one of us or a family member of one of us. I've drove past people with Marine Corps stickers and yelled "Semper Fidelis" to them and they just look at me like I'm nuts. It's easy to spot the wannabes and the non-hackers. Makes me sick seeing someone flying our colors who doesn't rate. Same goes for our t-shirts or anything else that says U.S. Marines or Marines for that matter.

This is ridiculous. If I wear an Indianapolis Colts jersey, does that make me a poser because I am not a football player? Someone else made this point, and I think it is an excellent point. I hate the term "doesn't rate". Since when are we the "rate" police? People rate to do whatever the hel! they want to do within the confines of the law. They pay our salaries, and if they want to support us by wearing our slogan or colors than so be it. I don't need someone to know what Semper Fidelis means to appreciate thier support they give me by wearing our slogan, or insignia. The Marine Corps is as much of a brand name in todays world, as it is an institution, whether we like it or not.

Namvet67
01-10-05, 10:06 AM
Fly the colors, put on the decals...window,bumper,front yard,T-shirt etc......Sort of like wearing a Harley Davidson jacket....don't mean you own one but you want one. Just don't put on the uniform or any way shape or form try to pass yourself off as a Marine. Once you become a Marine...you will become a walking billboard of the Corps....it will show from the inside out. Semper Fi

JAG5150
01-10-05, 10:54 AM
I would just like everyone to know that Perfectcircle and I worked out our differences through PM. Perfectcircle has my full support and I think that the kid will make a good marine, he already has balls that clank. It takes a real man to stand up for their beliefs and perfectcircle is on his way.

perfectcircle
01-10-05, 04:36 PM
Thanks again JAG5150, and everyone else who was on my side through the little dispute......I think this thread turned out quite well, it's really interesting to read everyones thoughts on the little debate, and hearing the stuck up guys to the laid back ones haha.

I like the sports jersey idea, I wish i had thought of that.

jinelson
01-10-05, 04:43 PM
Now thats the way a dispute should work out. Its too bad that the Isralies and Palistineans dont have men like you two as their leaders. My utmost respect and admiration to the both of you.

Jim

Amanda
01-11-05, 05:21 PM
Hey all! I know i am just a civilian nasty! : ) But i hear many people in the military complain about how they are not supported enough or they are frusterated with the majority of Americans view of the military. Then when civilians do something large or small, it is still not good enough. I am not being arrogant or rude. I am just asking, because i want to know. Maybe if we were given a script or some ideas on how to support without offending. Because most of the civilians think that flags/stickers, ect. will encourage and show the Marines and other military members that they support them. I do not believe that it is their intent to aggrivate or be wanna be Marines. Just wondering.

DuckSauce
01-12-05, 10:21 AM
In on this late but as a fellow Poolee I support your ambition for the Corps. I have the colors hanging over my bed in my room and a USMC decal on the hatch of my vehicle.

Your decals, your truck, and the way your headed, your future title.

Keep it up.

Namvet67
01-12-05, 10:49 AM
It's your motivation Poolee Welbaum...."I'll see it when I believe it" not "I'll believe it when I see it"....I'm all for flying the colors..whatever your personal reason is.

enviro
01-13-05, 08:41 AM
No need for a script. A simple "thank you" does wonders. Not needed, but appreciated.

I interviewed a contractor yesterday in my office. He is trying to get my business in inspecting my fire system throughout the plant. Big contract! My office is adorned with the usual USMC stuff; posters, pictures, awards, plaques, k-bars, grenades, bulldogs, etc. The guy just couldn't stop saying thank you and how much he appreciated the service of our military members. It felt good.

The Marine Corps plasters their emblem on everything. I have an hour drive to and from work every day and I see the Eagle Globe, and Anchor several times. "My son is a U.S. Marine" "My daughter is a U.S. Marine" "Semper Fi" etc. I never see Navy or Air Force stickers. I (on a rare occasion) see "Yo Soy El Army" stickers (what the hell is that about?).

For being the smallest service, we are well advertised.

Toby M
01-13-05, 09:08 AM
Enviro, maybe it's because our stickers and colors are the most recognizable. It's like a "high and tight or spit shined shoes"; you see one and you know automatically, there's a Marine in there...

Namvet67
01-13-05, 09:41 AM
It's a Pride thing. No other branch of service instills it like the Marines do. We have to work harder to achieve the title and the Corps is the best at making you believe you are the best. They push the civilian out of you, break you down to failure and then re-build you into a Marine that will never quit (ever). It's a transformation that doesn't occur in any other branch of the military...you are then free to go about the rest of your life without fear of anything....and all others will certainly fear you.

SuNmAN
01-14-05, 04:28 PM
well...I guess that poolee got his answer :-)

SuNmAN
01-14-05, 04:34 PM
Oh...and about the question of "rate or not rate"

Over my young Marine Corps career (5 months and 27 days) once in a while I'd run into a sh!tbag Marine who runs a 30 minute PFT (yes ! 30 minutes !) or one that hates the Marine Corps. In our 3531 MOS class we had 2 "Marines" (if you can call them that) that went UA. One of them on 3 different occasions. One of those Marines ran over 30:00 in the 3 mile run. We had another 2-3 PFT failures too. In addition to that, we have about 10% of the class who make it their business to disobey orders behind the NCOs backs.

I'd take a patriotic civilian over a sh!tbird Marine who dishonors my Marine Corps anyday.

DuckSauce
01-17-05, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by gbudd
It's a Pride thing. No other branch of service instills it like the Marines do. We have to work harder to achieve the title and the Corps is the best at making you believe you are the best. They push the civilian out of you, break you down to failure and then re-build you into a Marine that will never quit (ever). It's a transformation that doesn't occur in any other branch of the military...you are then free to go about the rest of your life without fear of anything....and all others will certainly fear you.

Staff Sergeant, You could make a killer recruiting pamphlet:D

Namvet67
01-18-05, 10:14 AM
Poolee Welbaum...you think...I don't know about that. I don't think i ever got anyone to join the Marines after talking to me. I certainly tried to recruit a few but it seems when they find out what it's all about they all kinda felt that the Marines may be a little too ruff. Of course I told them the truth and no offense to my brother recruiters....no lies, no quota to fill, just the facts...it's my job..I'm a Marine. Semper Fi Thanks for the thumbs up

CrazyBrave83
01-26-05, 08:12 PM
Well all...not making a big return post at all or anything...just figured I'd comment on this thread (Good to see Leatherneck hasn't lost much of it's edge).

I haven't posted on here in over a year now, some of the more recent posts weren't me but someone else who knew my login name.

Anywho, I'm a 'failed' Recruit, my bad knee kinked up at Bootcamp and I got sent home. Prior to my leaving, I was never very 'out there' with my association with the Marine Corps, aside from wearing my Poolee Shirt and talking with those who took interest, that was about it. I have nothing wrong with people supporting the Corps, that's just not the route I took because I wanted it to personally feel more fufilling to give it that extra push once I made it.

In the position I am now I can't even bring myself to wear my old Poolee shirt or Marine shirts, much in the same way I've had such a hard time trying to post here. I don't rate, plain and simple. Whether that's a deciding factor to anyone else I'll live up to them, but in my mind, I don't rate, so that's how it stands.

It's pretty much up to the person, when it comes down to it, as with most of our live's decisions. Support is fantastic. Those who know me know I'll support the Marine Corps until the day I'm underground (and even then on), but I'm personally no longer comfortable being so closely connected to something that makes me wish for it every time I see or hear about it.

Long winded, I know...and it probably didn't get anyone anywhere, but hey, there's my feeling. Good luck to you, Poolee.

jo1753
01-26-05, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by snipowsky

Lance corporal perhaps if you served when I did you'd have a different point of view. Just picture yourself coming home from Nam it's the early 70's and you still have your uniform on. Being fresh off the plane and a bit naive to whats really going on here in the states since you left. You sorta strut thru the airport terminal. Proud to have served your country and really happy to have made it home with all your body parts still intact.
Tell me please Lance Corporal, what would your first reaction be when the first person came up to you and called you a baby killer or a war mongar...? Most of the kids then weren't flying our flags in support of our country or the corps. Even the patrotic ones knew it would have made them a target if that had. So the ones like myself simply, quietly went and served.
Just to come back..... to people who'd spit in your face and burn the flag in front of you. So tell me Lance Corporal, wouldn't you have rather came across a kid who wants to support the efforts of our country. This kid has his head and A_ _ wired together. If anything Marine or not,......I feel you owe him a huge apology. At least I wouldn't have ran into his kind in the 70's trying to spit on me when I got off the plane...............Semper-Fi

Namvet67
01-27-05, 09:40 AM
jo1753....I have to agree with you. The late 60s and early 70s were not a great time for Marines coming home from Nam...at least those that came back to the west coast. Semper Fi

jinelson
01-27-05, 10:18 AM
jo1753 and gbudd you have touched on exactly what one of my pet concern issues is. I was one of those Marines that came home then and to the San Fransisco Bay Area the heart of the worst areas for that kind of hatred. I was treated like an enemy in my own country for a long time. What was even worse than the getting spit on by little old ladies was the job discrimination. I had to lie on employment applications and say that I never served of course after I had grown my hair down to my @ss and had gotten a peace sign tatoo. I could go on for pages but you know what I am talking about. I am so happy that the young men and women who served in Desert Storm and now Iraq do not have the same treatment as we did. I go out of my way to make the troops know that there sacrifices are appreciated. I shake the hand of anyone that looks military or is in uniform. I hang out at the airports to greet them, I visit the VA Hospital to comfort the wounded. I am sorry that I am starting to rant but if the young dont know what we indured then it can happen again and that must never ever happen. We must make sure that it dosent.

Namvet67
01-27-05, 10:31 AM
jinelson...at least we can talk about it now. What you say in your post was true...we carried on with our life in any way we could. We are survivors and we are still Marines...that they could not take away from us. Semper Fi Brother and welcome home again!

jo1753
01-27-05, 12:30 PM
Semper-Fi............. to all that,....!!!
Just because someone is a Marine........That doesn't mean he/she is a combat tested Marine...
All we can do each time we go into battle is ask the Lord for the strength to fight for something......bigger then yourself.

I've seen battle hardened Marines buckle if thay lost sight of that.
I suppose I could look down my nose and talk to the Marine like he Spoke to that young man earlier.........And tell him....Don't strut quite so mush until you've been there and done that. Because when you do..........Your standing on the shoulders of the Marines who have been there...!!! Does that sound pompous...? No not at all............Wasn't that your goal when you decided to call that young man out..!! ........Semper-Fi

Namvet67
01-27-05, 01:33 PM
jo1753...true...not all Marines have been tested in combat but if given the chance I'm sure those that didn't see combat would jump at the chance to go prove themselves. Just because I have been shot at, spit on and seen men die in combat doesn't make me any better than the Marine that didn't get that chance. In interviews with many Marines that served in peacetime..i noticed one thing in common with them all....the final test wasn't given to them and it leaves a big void....what if? I don't think Snip was being pompous...he was just giving his opinion. Hey jo1753..we been there, done that and didn't even get the t-shirt. Adversity builds character...and you and i have plenty to share. Semper Fi Marine and welcome home.

JAMarine
01-27-05, 01:52 PM
perfectcircle
Just a word of thanks to you for starting this thread. You started what (in the beginning I thought to be a pretty trivial but obvious answered question) has turned out to be Marines dating themselves and bringing up 'wounds' of the past. And in the end all and all patting each other on the backs and in all practical purposes "Welcoming Each Other Home".

Gotta say Poolee, You've done a good job.
Remember this Young Man, Marine Do Die and we Die Hard. We try with all our might to hold on to whatever made us feel young, wanted, respected and remembered.

perfectcircle, you'll do just fine. Keep your head down and your mouth shut.

But this is just my opinion.
Just Another Marine
Richard Greene
Marine from the '70's.

jo1753
01-27-05, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by gbudd
jo1753...true...not all Marines have been tested in combat but if given the chance I'm sure those that didn't see combat would jump at the chance to go prove themselves. Just because I have been shot at, spit on and seen men die in combat doesn't make me any better than the Marine that didn't get that chance. In interviews with many Marines that served in peacetime..i noticed one thing in common with them all....the final test wasn't given to them and it leaves a big void....what if? I don't think Snip was being pompous...he was just giving his opinion. Hey jo1753..we been there, done that and didn't even get the t-shirt. Adversity builds character...and you and i have plenty to share. Semper Fi Marine and welcome home.

gbudd..........it wasn't my intention to belittle Snip.or anyone else for that matter. I was simply trying ,but obviously failed to make a point. I'm for anyone,anytime who wants to advertise for the Marine Corps. Just as long as it honors The Marine Corps. and our Country...........Semper-Fi

Namvet67
01-28-05, 09:59 AM
jo1753...no harm done! I agree and i did get you point...Semper Fi

snipowsky
01-28-05, 12:48 PM
First off you got me all confused. I wasn't pointing fingers or calling anyone out. I was just stating my opinion. You have yours and I have mine. I didn't mean ones who support the troops. I'm talking about wannabes. If you'd read my heading without jumping to conclusions you'd understand that. I was referring to those who pretend to have earned our title. I see em all the time. And yes I will call those types out.

I'm no longer a Marine Lance Corporal either. So just call me Mike!
Originally posted by jo1753

Lance corporal perhaps if you served when I did you'd have a different point of view. Just picture yourself coming home from Nam it's the early 70's and you still have your uniform on. Being fresh off the plane and a bit naive to whats really going on here in the states since you left. You sorta strut thru the airport terminal. Proud to have served your country and really happy to have made it home with all your body parts still intact.
Tell me please Lance Corporal, what would your first reaction be when the first person came up to you and called you a baby killer or a war mongar...? Most of the kids then weren't flying our flags in support of our country or the corps. Even the patrotic ones knew it would have made them a target if that had. So the ones like myself simply, quietly went and served.
Just to come back..... to people who'd spit in your face and burn the flag in front of you. So tell me Lance Corporal, wouldn't you have rather came across a kid who wants to support the efforts of our country. This kid has his head and A_ _ wired together. If anything Marine or not,......I feel you owe him a huge apology. At least I wouldn't have ran into his kind in the 70's trying to spit on me when I got off the plane...............Semper-Fi

jo1753
01-28-05, 01:09 PM
Snipowsky...........now that I know your givin name and heave your permission in the future I will refer to you as Mike.......thank you and Semper-Fi

al20852
01-28-05, 01:48 PM
Far as I'm concerned you don't have to be a Marine to put up a sticker on a car, a shirt, or your forehead. We can use all the support we can get. If my kid goes to a certain college, maybe I put a decal on my car. Just shows support. As far as the poolee is concerned, he'll learn to have a thicker skin, and maybe learn to hold his tongue a little better, but I admire his feistiness. Maybe that's why he's going in the Marines in the first place. Most of us probably were a little rough around the edges at first.

Namvet67
01-28-05, 01:55 PM
Excellent point Captain....is the Marine in you before you even go to boot? Maybe we could start a new thread on this subject!

SgtMajor_Lee
01-28-05, 04:59 PM
i agree with the captain, my son, who ships out in June, has stickers and posters in his truck, at school, he's got water bottles, shirts, and keychains he is proud to be an American, a future Marine and very proud to show it.

as a side note "mike" once a Marine always a Marine

yellowwing
01-28-05, 07:27 PM
What did that one master sculpture say, "The piece was alway there, I just carved out the extra parts." I'm sure our Drill Instructors take the same loving care to cut away those nasty civilian parts to find the Marine inside. Well, maybe not loving care.

Namvet67
01-29-05, 10:58 AM
SGTMAJOR_LEE.....You said "once a Marine always a Marine". Do you now consider yourself a former Marine? Why did you join the Corps? We would like to hear from you! Semper Fi

DuckSauce
01-29-05, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by yellowwing
What did that one master sculpture say, "The piece was alway there, I just carved out the extra parts."

Well put Corporal.

It's nice to see the shirts and stickers and what not, but this Poolee makes a notion to ask if they've got family in the Corps, is a Marine, or a DEP'er. I love talking to the "Old Salts", they'll shake your hand, tell you to keep your mouth shut and your head screwed on straight, and a "Semper Fi" for good measure.

Marines like that make me want to be a Marine.

...As a fellow Poolee I make sure not to pass myself off as a Marine, and if someone calls me that, I set them straight. In the Marine Corps, yes. Marine, no.

I believe everyone has their own reason to flying our Colors.

It's amazing how often I pass someone on the road with a USMC Seal on their vehicle, makes me think you know?

perfectcircle
01-31-05, 09:17 AM
ah I like this thread now. It's good to hear everyones opinions on this and to find out what everyone really feels inside ;)

al20852
01-31-05, 09:29 AM
Gbudd is right. The number of responses to this thread means the issues it raises are very important ones and maybe warrant a separate thread. What is a Marine? What sort of person wants to become a Marine? Do people who enlist in the Marines have certain character traits that we can pin down and analyze? Do we want to cultivate the kind of associations that Harley Davidson users do, or do we believe that only if you are a Marine do you have the right to wear any emblem or piece of clothing that refers to the Marines? Does "once a Marine, always a Marine" mean that only one who has earned the title Marine have a right to display any insignia mwentioning the Marines?

All of these are hard questions and ones that may have been discussed in prior threads. I just don't know.

These are very significant issues and ones that, I think, go far beyond the specifics of this thread.

jo1753
01-31-05, 03:53 PM
Captian...........all those things you had just mentioned I feel are true.....and piqued my curiosity as well....... I've not been around this forum long enough myself to answer them........It would be nice to hear from some others who have been here a while..Semper-Fi ( Sir salute )

Namvet67
01-31-05, 04:03 PM
al20852....i think a new thread would be in order. Something like...Was the Marine already inside? Did the Corps just bring it out and polish it up? Why don't you start the thread Captain? I'll be sure and post what i think. Semper Fi

al20852
02-01-05, 08:12 AM
Gbudd, haven't been around long enough to even figure out how to start a thread, but I will figure it out and will do it. I think a thread like that really goes to the heart of this community and will be something that many of us will have opinions on.

Namvet67
02-01-05, 09:33 AM
al20852..jo1753 could not wait, so he already started this thread...Where do Marines really come from...some good posts already. Later Captain

THATFEMALE
02-10-05, 02:33 AM
I think it would be best to wait unti you earn the tittle to dedicate your car to the corp. There are other ways to show your dedication for the mean time. As for those posting on here remember that you are Marines and respect is something we pride ourselves on. I hate it when I see my SNCO's and NCO's disrespected by anyone. Remember your place and take it easy. We're here to give these poolees advice not and @** chewin! Semper FI Leathernecks.

perfectcircle
02-10-05, 05:39 AM
Then what are youre "other ways to show dedication"? Give me a few examples.

Kaziganthi
02-11-05, 11:23 PM
I am a POOLEE and I agree with the whole back window thing...Wait til you earn it. I'm gonna use being an Eagle scout as an example. Scouts don't let some tenderfoot buy any of the paraphanalia of an Eagle scout. That stuff is under lock and key (Like being a Marine, you have to go through the process of unlocking your inner potential in Boot Camp to open the door.) Once you get in then you can get your Tatoos, huge decals on cars or trucks, or whatever b/c you earned it. So until then just nod and let them talk their trash to ya. One day they will have to look at us eye to eye as peers and not some civilian with a 'tude.
So don't worry it will be "our Corps." because it is all about tradition (that's why they are so protective.)

dgallagher
02-12-05, 08:15 AM
Interesting, this keeps going and will not die. Kaziganhi has a good point and what is the cut off for advertizing (that's all it is).

My 2 cents are, pick yor fight. If I see someone with an EGA or bumper sticker I'm waving, 'Semper fi' if it's a hat or shirt. Several years ago a man I knew somewhat had on a Marine Shirt, when I 'Semper fi'd' him he said, "I'm not a Marine but I respect them greatly; should I take it off?" What can you say to that? I told him to wear it with pride.

Semper fi

SuNmAN
02-24-05, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by al20852
Gbudd, haven't been around long enough to even figure out how to start a thread, but I will figure it out and will do it. I think a thread like that really goes to the heart of this community and will be something that many of us will have opinions on.
------------------------------------------------------
You're probably figured this out already, sir, but there is a little red "new thread" icon on the top right of each forum, and thats how you start a thread.

Semper Fi sir !

Matt Starbuck
02-25-05, 01:47 AM
It's important to know what to ask permission for, and I personally enjoy seeing Marine Corps stickers and flags around town if displayed with "Pride". You were being "ribbed" more for asking, a simple matter of being a target of opportunity.

P.S. Don't turn the kid off on the Corps before he even joins. Just remember there are *******s in every gathering, don't be one of them!!!!

perfectcircle
02-25-05, 08:06 AM
This thread will live forever.