PDA

View Full Version : who's your friend?

HardJedi
01-06-05, 04:44 PM
Not sure why, but I wanted to post this. I am just cuious, who was your very best buddy in the Marine Corps? and where were they from? there was actually three guy's I hung out with pretty equally.

Daniel F Balch, Seattle Washington (secuitry forces, guam)
Charles R Overton Birmingham Alabam ( secutiry forces, Kings Bay)
Chris Johnson New Orlean LA.( mct, SOI, Guam, Kings Bay)
even after we all ended up in different units, we were all stationed at Lejune together, and still hung out as much as possible.

Hell, Chuck married a former Ms. Alabama after he got out! LOL

I talk to Dan and Chuck about once a year since getting out, haven't seen either of them since 95 though. Last I heard, My buddy Johnson was an underwater welder somewhere off the coast.

So who was your best friend(s) and where were they from and did you keep in touch with them?

femalemarine_89
01-06-05, 04:48 PM
I have to say that one of my best friends I have known for a very long time. We went to school together from grade K to 12. We signed up at the same time and went to boot together. Now she is out of the Corps and has a very large family. She actually lives in Michigan now. We still keep in contact thru email and snail mail..

http://www.wtv-zone.com/coplove/Cops/flshr.gif

Namvet67
01-06-05, 04:56 PM
I didn't make any friends while I was in the Corps. Of course all my time was in a combat zone and we learned not to get close to anyone. Kinda cold but that's the way it was. All my Marine buddies I have now were met after I was out. gbudd

JAG5150
01-06-05, 04:58 PM
HardJedi, I'm sorry to say that I do not have any friends that I was stationed with, the few that I did consider friends ended up screwing me one way or another. In my life I have several acquaints but very few friends. My best friend in this world however is my wife. I know that this sounds kind of kiss a$$ and no, she is not here with me but it is true. We have such an open and loving relationship, I was/am very lucky to have found her.

HardJedi
01-06-05, 05:04 PM
LORD! was I the only person to have buddied in the Corps? thats seems awfull strange!

and Jag, believe me I understand. My current GF is MY best friend also. Has been for almost 6 years, and we have only been dating 3 ;)

femalemarine_89
01-06-05, 05:06 PM
wow.. Like I said.. I have one very good friend.. I have been screwed over by plenty of people.. But I refuse to shut myself off to people. As for my best friend. I have to agree with Jag on this one.. My best friend in the world is my husband. We met over 3 yrs ago and dated 10 months before we got married. We go everywhere together.. Heck he dont even like to go to the store for a soda without me..

http://www.wtv-zone.com/coplove/Cops/trprcar.gif

Timber
01-06-05, 05:46 PM
HardJedi, your not the only one, my best freinds in the Corps are,

Joseph " Bubba " Bonner Cabool MO. (LSB Camp Pendleton)
Mike Junker Lincoln Nebraska (GSM Co, Pendleton)

We still stay in touch on a regular basis, and Bubba was my best man for my wedding and I was for his. The 3 of us got together again for the first time in March of last year and I don't think the hotel in KC will ever forget it.

greensideout
01-06-05, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Timber
HardJedi, your not the only one, my best freinds in the Corps are,

Joseph " Bubba " Bonner Cabool MO. (LSB Camp Pendleton)
Mike Junker Lincoln Nebraska (GSM Co, Pendleton)

We still stay in touch on a regular basis, and Bubba was my best man for my wedding and I was for his. The 3 of us got together again for the first time in March of last year and I don't think the hotel in KC will ever forget it.

"Bubba from Cabool, MO."

I am probally the only one on this site to know where Cabool, MO is, let alone have been there---lol---it's right down the road.

yellowwing
01-06-05, 06:26 PM
Jim Rawls. We were as different as can be if one thinks like a civilian. I'm a tall Native American born in Winnipeg Canada. Jim is an All American Football Hero/Hot Rodder fire plug from Lawrence Kansas.

For some reason we clicked and had many an adventure in the Brotherhood, (Jim was a real 'Hick' when we went down to Ensanada Mexico!)

yellowwing
01-06-05, 06:29 PM
Cabool or Kabul? Isn't there a Baghdad Kentucky on some backwoods highway?

greensideout
01-06-05, 06:35 PM
I have to go with the, "no friends" group. My best Marine friend in life was killed at age 19.

I do however, have a Marine buddy from Tulsa, OK that I talk with every few years. My best friend was his friend too.

gbudd, you're right about that.

Sgted
01-06-05, 07:50 PM
Myself and 2 other guys joined on the "buddy" system back in 1965.
I'm still in touch with one of those guys (Don) who now lives in CT.
We meet once a year or so and chat by email. I made many friendships while in the Corps but none lasted.

mrbsox
01-06-05, 09:10 PM
LCpl John D. Venning Jr.
Ridgefield Ct. (I think I remember that right)
Birthday; 10-10-58 (yep, our birthday)

We got a trailer off base of LeJeune, to stay away from the 'riff-raff' element that was always getting in trouble, and to stay out ourselves. There was nothing we wouldn't do for each other. We were that close.

Kept in touch awhile after getting out in '79. Last contact was probably @'92. Haven't been able to track him down.

My 'bro'.
One man that I could say 'I love ya' to. I guess as close to 'BEST BUDDY' as you could say.

Miss ya bro.

Terry

HardJedi
01-07-05, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by yellowwing
Jim Rawls. We were as different as can be if one thinks like a civilian. I'm a tall Native American born in Winnipeg Canada. Jim is an All American Football Hero/Hot Rodder fire plug from Lawrence Kansas.

For some reason we clicked and had many an adventure in the Brotherhood, (Jim was a real 'Hick' when we went down to Ensanada Mexico!)

I hear ya about the being different thing Yellowing!

Dan was a slacker type, in civi life

Chuck was a rebel flag flying hillbilly

and Chris? well, he was just DIFFERENT! he payed for my first "massage" when overseas. LOL got me addicted to " therapy" for a bit as a strapping 18 year old with no bills ;)

yellowwing
01-07-05, 06:30 AM
Three of us took a trip from El Toro to Ensanada. TJ was off limits at the time, some sailors had been getting their butts kicked by local thugs.

The third member of our little expedition was a Italian street hood from Jersey.

We'd go into the strip bars order a beer and a dancer would come out. Gosh darn "He-She's"! Big ugly Mexicans with make-up and falsies.

But Jim from Lawrence Kansas was getting into it! "Jim, that's a guy", we told him. "NOOO! Really?"

Then it became a game for me and Santo from Jersey. We'd go to the next bar and the same thing would happen.

"Okay Jim, is this one a guy or a real girl?" Jim would look carefully, bite his lip and say, "That's a chick."

"NO-NO-NO! Look at those big ass feet, look at that giant adams apple!" :banana:

Sgt Sostand
01-07-05, 09:47 AM
My Best Friend was and still is My Friend

The M40A1 sniper rifle is based on the Remington model 700. It is a heavy barrel, bolt action, magazine fed 7.62mm rifle that is optimized for accuracy with Match Grade ammunition. The rifle is equipped with a special 10 power Unertl sniper scope. With scope, the rifle weighs approximately 14.5 pounds. It is equipped with a built-in five round magazine. This weapon is hand-made by specially trained and qualified armorers at Quantico, Virginia. The unique characteristics of the M40A1 Sniper Rifle are: commercial competition-grade heavy barrel, McMillan fiberglass stock and butt pad, modified Winchester Model 70 floorplate and trigger guard, and modified and lightened trigger. In addition, each stock is epoxy bedded for accuracy and all weapons must shoot less than one minute of angle (MOA). The M40A1 was put into service in the 1970s to meet the need of a long range sniper rifle. Each rifle is hand built by specially trained and qualified personnel at the Marine Corps Marksmanship Training Unit (MTU) at Quantico, Virginia

That one Friend that want trun it back on you

yellowwing
01-07-05, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a great friend. Sgt Sostand!

But I don't think Jim Rawls would have wanted me to take a bore brush to him! :banana:

HardJedi
01-07-05, 10:04 AM
LOL, BORE BRUSH! :D hey, my buddy Chris needed one a couple times. he liked those "massages" alot better then me. he was known as the "skivvie house King" in every unit he was ever in. ( skivvie house means ***** house, case you didn't know ;) )

HardJedi
01-07-05, 10:40 AM
Sgt Sostand? while that is a cute post, and a NICE weapon, are you telling me that you didn't have any friends either?

Look people, let me explain why this is important to me. ( friendship, that is)

to ME at least, there is no relationship more imppotant that that of friendship. ralatives are something you are stuck with, not that you CHOOSE. Girlfriends/boyfriends ( whatever your preference) come and go. But at least with me, a true friendship is forever. nothing, not time, distance, or even a fight can break it.

there are of course different degrees of "friendship" there are friendly aquaintences, work friends, hanging out buddies, friends for doing just CERTAIN things, even internet friends. But TRUE friendship is a kind of love. at least with me it is, and with MY friends. ( and NO NOT GAY LOVE! )

no, I was not picking on you Sgt Sostand, I enjoyed your post. Just thought I'd add in here why it is incredible to me that more people didn't make good friends in the Corps.

Sgt Sostand
01-07-05, 12:26 PM
HardJedi your correct you can make it in the Corps with out friends at lease not in the 0300 Field

JAG5150
01-07-05, 12:35 PM
HardJedi, I do have friends and ironically they are Marines but I met them after I was out. As a former law enforcement officer I ran across about 5 other cops, all Marines that became very tight. And much like in the Coprs, we relied on each other and entrusted the other with our very lives. So I guess that I am telling you that my friends can be considered double brothers, Marines and brothers in blue.

CAR
01-07-05, 10:46 PM
Jedi, what a timely post:

Yesterday I just went to visit my best friend (Greg), best man in my wedding, and "brother". We met in the Corps and have been friends for over 15 years. We served together in the Corps, went to the gulf together, served as Border Patrol agents together and now both in seperate law enforcement jobs.

Greg re-enlisted a few months ago to get back into the Corps. He leaves Sunday for Iraq. It truly bothers me that my buddy is heading over and I'm not there to watch his back. I thought of getting back in but, 2 little ones and #3 on the way, Don't think my wife would understand. My buddy doesn't have children yet.

We got together before he took off so we could have a Marine talk. Things he couldn't tell his wife. The combat thing doesn't make good conversation for the dinner table. We were together in the gulf, and no injuries. This is different, it feels different. He's ready to go. I guess I'm just feeling guilty cause I am not in a position to go.

I pray for the safe return of all my Marine Brothers. Especially the one I call brother.

mrbsox
02-12-07, 01:31 PM
Not sure why, but J.D. just popped into my head today. So I figured I'd bump this thread back up.

:flag: :iwo:

YLDNDN6
02-12-07, 03:21 PM
Good thread...My buddies were Dan Ueberfluss, from Madison, WI and Dion Stauffer from Hershey, PA. We were stationed in Rota together, and tended to do an awful lot together. Golfing in absolute horrid downpours, because we could get out on the course without paying...the usual bar things, working out together. We used to have "theme" movie nights and whatever the theme of the movie was, that was the type of food and drinks you would bring. I also had a great buddy who was Navy, named Mark Brady. He and I were in Pensacola learning morse together, and got stationed thousands of miles apart. Every time I left Rota to go to another country or base for MOS related stuff, there would be Mark Brady. He was from Altoona, PA. He even turned up at a Monsters of Rock concert at Castle Donnington in BFE England one time. Talk about strange coincidences. We probably ran into each other at various points of the globe about 6 times. We could be the only two Americans for a hundred miles, and sure as hell run into one another. I sure wonder what ever became of him.

crate78
02-12-07, 08:42 PM
I had two I would consider best.

Dick Strong, from Olympia, WA, retired as a MGySgt and is living in Yuma, Arizona. We still keep in touch. When we were apart we could both stay reasonably squared away, but when we were together it seemed like outright devastation seemed to just naturally follow us around.

Jose T. Coco-Valdez from NYC. (Joe Valdez, for short). We were both in the same outfit on the same day when we made Corporal, Sergeant, and Staff Sergeant. Last I heard from him was in the early '70's. He was then a Captain flying second seat in F4's and had just come back from his third tour in 'Nam. I've totally lost track of him. All of the people finders on the 'Net, plus even the Social Security Death Index, all draw a blank. Even the buddy finder on this forum.

I could spend all night telling stories.

crate

hrscowboy
02-13-07, 12:49 AM
My best friend in the Marine Corps was a Thomas W Mason both of us served in vietnam together and lived in the same hootch. It saddens me to anounce that Tom died March 11, 1996 in Hastings Nebraska from agent orange cancer..

hmckinley
02-13-07, 02:40 AM
My best friend in the Marine Corps was a Thomas W Mason both of us served in vietnam together and lived in the same hootch. It saddens me to anounce that Tom died March 11, 1996 in Hastings Nebraska from agent orange cancer..
Standing in the kitchen one time as a teenager, telling my mom how many friends I had. My dad came up behind me, snatched me up by my shoulders, spun me around. I guess what seemed like an eternity, him looking me in the eye's, I was informed that if a person lived and reached one hundred year's old and could fill all the fingers on one hand with the friends that he had met, then he was one fortunate sob. I can hear him now, boy you will meet thousands of aquaintences and you'll know when a friend comes along. Right now at the age of sixty three, I can fill two fingers, not a one of those finger's was filled in the Marine Corps.

jhusmc
02-13-07, 10:40 PM
MY best friend was my spotter, LCPL Jeremy Siebold, he was killed in Iraq in 2003, died in my arms

HardJedi
10-30-07, 01:52 PM
wow. sorry to hear that. thought I might re-post to this, and see if anyone new to the site might have anything to add.

Quinbo
10-30-07, 05:11 PM
I went to boot camp with Kenny McKenzie. We then went to ITS together and both were sent to Hawaii to the same unit. We spent 4 years in the same unit doing the same training and became very good friends.

I was very good friends with Bill Davis and we shared MRE crackers in the same fighting hole in Saudi Arabia. Fished every Saturday morning at a lake in S. Cal. I can't remember the name of the lake. I consider him a close friend.

Adam Lentz. We were and still are best of friends. I talk to him about once a month on the phone. He was raised in Michigan and we both built homes in Virginia after getting out. He still lives there.

This post would become a book if I recalled every Marine that I called friend. Suffice to say there weren't many that I didn't.

sgt tony
10-30-07, 06:29 PM
There was a time I wondered if there was such a thing as a good friend. I have had 4 in my life 3 were Marines. Scott Jerigian, Ernie M. Lynn, Bernard Kiefer. They were all from the north and I was the hick from Oklahoma. The other is David Vaughn went through school and ran together after I got out.
I have been told Ernie was killed in Jacksonville while working at a convenient store after he retired from the Marines.