PDA

View Full Version : Red/Green Color Blindness?!

limitdliability
10-13-02, 11:32 PM
hey,
i have recently discovered that i have a type of color blindness called red green color blindness in which the cones and rods in the eye are weaker to reds and greens than other colors. for me, this hardly interferes with my everyday life. it only occasionally causes small discrepancies between shades of these colors that are very similar. i do not have a problem with traffic lights, or anything vital in everyday functioning. pretty much what i am getting at is, what does this mean as far as becoming a Marine? I have briefly talked to my recruiter but was unable to go into detail. So i figured i would ask all of you. I just want to know if in fact they test for this, and if one has this color blindness, what it limits them from doing in the Marines (MOS)? i plan to become a Police Officer afer serving but i do not neccisaryly need an MOS that is relavant to this field of work. i thank you for any responses.

firstsgtmike
10-14-02, 12:32 AM
Sixguns has much more up-to date information than I do, but until he responds, I will. But pay more attention to HIS, than you do to mine.

There WERE types of color blindness that kept you out of service.

There were types of color blindness that kept you out of particular job specialties, such as photo interpretation, mapping, anything that required schematic reading, etc.

I'm not saying that I know what I'm talking about, but I, personally, don't think your degree of color blindness would preclude you from service.

However, If I were a youngster trying to plan MY future, I'd want an immediate, accurate answer, up or down, yes or no.

This posting is a waste. It tells you nothing, other than that your concern was not ignored. I did the best I could, which was almost nothing. However, I think a correct response will be coming your way shortly. I don't think Sixguns will let you down.

Semper Fi

ssgtp_diddy
10-14-02, 12:50 AM
color blindness (red-green or otherwise) will not preclude you from service but it WILL limit your MOS choices. You won't be able to go into any electronics, mechanic jobs for sure. You should still have plenty of choices depending on you ASVAB scores.

I have been a recruiter for the past 2 1/2 years and have delt with this a few times.

Sixguns
10-15-02, 05:10 PM
Color Blindness is not a bar to enlistment, but can be to choosing a specific job guarantee or enlistment option.

Please also focus on becoming a Marine. Your MOS or job is secondary to being a Marine. If you are joining the Marine Corps for a specific job, you may want to rethink your decision. Every Marine is a rifleman and then your chosen MOS second.

Traditionally, young men and women join the Marine Corps for the intangible traits we are known to develop in all Marines, not the job skill training we provide them. Remember, the price to join the Corps is much higher than the other services, so if you are just looking for a job, you may want to talk to one of those four letter words (Army, Navy). Any service can give you a job guarantee, but only one can give you the title Marine!

limitdliability
10-15-02, 07:49 PM
im not looking at it as only a job..i just dont want to go through all of it to end up being a supply man(im not saying that is a stupid job, i just would prefer other things) or something like that for four years...that doesnt appeal to me..even with the title of US Marine. i was just wondering what MOS are still an option to me. i didnt mean to make it sound like im in it for a job, job skills, or anything like that..i want to be a Marine to be a Marine...the title, pride, commitment, courage, and brotherhood...that is what appeals to me. thank you for all of your input you guys.

Cynrose
10-16-02, 02:01 PM
You might want to check out this site below it lists the MOSs and I believe the requirements for each one. One of the poolees I know just went to boot camp and got in with a color blindness and he got the MOS area he wanted to because it was not limited by his color blindness.

I can also understand you not wanting to have an MOS that you would hate but there are a lot of MOSs available that might still be interesting to you so don't worry about that much.

Good luck with your search.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/blmarineenjobs.htm

Cyn

JAMarine
10-16-02, 05:49 PM
Good Luck to you Young Person.

But speaking from someone who stood behind a badge for a number of year; "Ifn ya come across one of those green or red people, call me first before ya shoot OK"?

The Best To You.

limitdliability
10-16-02, 08:07 PM
i know this is slightly off subject from the Marines, but does red green color blindness affect a person when attempting to become a law enforcement officer on the local or state level? any help would be greatly appreciated!