PDA

View Full Version : When Did Service Obligation Change?

jinelson
01-04-05, 07:59 AM
I was shocked when I first found out that the enlistment contract that I signed obligated me for 6 years when I thought that after I did my 4 years I was off the hook. I remember my Drill Instructor screaming you dumb shlit didnt you read the small print Pvt? SIR NO SIR! Get on your face and give me squat mothers until I get tired you disgusting maggot. Now I understand the obligation for military service is 8 years, can anyone tell me when that changed?

Thanks and Semper Fi
Jim

TRLewis
01-04-05, 08:28 AM
There is an enlistment field program which is 4 years active, 4 IRR, and there is a quality enlistment program which is 6 years active. 2 IRR

Sparrowhawk
01-04-05, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by jinelson
I was shocked when I first found out that the enlistment contract that I signed obligated me for 6 years when I thought that after I did my 4 years I was off the hook. Thanks and Semper Fi
Jim

JIM; I think we had the same Marine Recruiter.
He told me four years, and like you I didn't read the six years fine print.

But, the Corps was offering an early out in January 1970, and after just a month past three years in, I was asked to stay and pick up E-6, but I though about it, laughed about it, and forgot about it and I got out.

Never had to go to any reserve meetings or anything.

But three years at that time was like 8 years in todays Corps.

LOL

Jarhed
01-04-05, 10:07 AM
Jim,

I'll take that extra two years from ya! All you gotta do is get me back in and then into a WO program.

:marine:

JAG5150
01-04-05, 10:17 AM
As far as I know it is 4 years active and 4 years inactive, I don't know when this changed or if it did but it was before my time. And let's be honest it's really life.

Sgt. Smitty
01-04-05, 10:50 AM
So............now we're obligated to do military service? I joined the Corps because i wanted to not because someone told me i had an obligation to this country. At the same time, what about this countrys' obligation to it's own people be they vets or not? Too damned many one-way streets when it comes to this govt. and the people.

jinelson
01-04-05, 11:02 AM
Thanks brothers, I've spoke to a lot of Marines that served during the Nam era and no one seems to know the same answer.

Jarhed brother if that were possible I would have to fight ya for them. LOL

Cook thats very possible on the recruiter. Well Bro I accepted the offer in late 1970 but found that I just couldnt hack being a stateside peacetime Marine and I think you know why. I will say that after my EAS spending another year as a non-obligore reservest I took great satisfaction when I got fed up and just quit during 1300 muster and walked. But now that we have a good fight on our hands I would do anything to join the fray.

Phantom Blooper
01-04-05, 11:13 AM
SUBJECT: Fulfilling the Military Service Obligation (MSO) <br />
<br />
<br />
References: (a) DoD Directive 1304.25, subject as above, March 17, 1986 (hereby canceled) <br />
<br />
(b) Title 10, United States Code <br />
<br />
(c) ...

Phantom Blooper
01-04-05, 11:18 AM
NUMBER 1304.25

August 25, 1997

Rudy de Leon
UnderSecretary for Defense For Personell & Development

jinelson
01-04-05, 11:36 AM
Thanks Phantom that makes it crystal clear.

Sgt. Smitty
01-04-05, 12:16 PM
Ya, and I'm still enjoyin my ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!