PDA

View Full Version : Drill Instructor If you wouldnt mind Answering this ? for me please!

odc25
12-31-04, 02:47 AM
Ok one of my friends went to boot camp on the 13th of Dec and his Graduation Date is set for March 11th ... That's not 13 weeks.. Do they graduate you on the closest Friday to your 13 week mark or what? I leave July 5th They added my ship date in because of the amount of recruits coming around that time so will I graduate on the 30th or the 1st or what? If someone could help me with this please. :confused:

yellowwing
12-31-04, 03:26 AM
Splitting hairs? Your friend will not graduate until he has completed the process and training of becoming a Marine.

What can we do for you? What can you do for the Marine Corps?

hrscowboy
12-31-04, 03:34 AM
what difference does it make when you graduate poolie the bottom line is that you become one of us and not worry when you graduate..

odc25
12-31-04, 05:54 AM
Well because My mom would like to make plans to travel to my graduation sir.

bigwalt
12-31-04, 06:08 AM
In boot they will give you all the information you need. Dates, flights, hotels. When I went in '94 they had visitor Sunday. The Sunday before graduation your parents, guest ate with the DI's and after that you marched to their location. We sang all the way and all the parents were shocked. Don't get ahead of yourself. Keep your head on straight during boot and tell your mom that you will give her all of the information she needs. Congrats on joining our beloved Corps!

DSchmitke
12-31-04, 06:14 AM
All in good time. First get through bootcamp to get to that stage.

TRLewis
12-31-04, 08:38 AM
You gotta be in the Corps 4-6 years why care how long you are at PI?

HardJedi
12-31-04, 09:37 AM
good LORD! I absolutley REFUSED to tell my parents when graduation was! I KNEW I would make it, but just in case I got dropped for some reason, I didn't want them to know the original date. Sneaky turds went off and called my recruiter, and HE told them the date! LOL

femalemarine_89
12-31-04, 09:58 AM
Go to boot, you will get the info then about graduation. as a matter of fact you need to be more worried about making it to graduation before you tell anyone when it is...

Alan Hall
12-31-04, 10:13 AM
I saw alot of recycles,that would suck.

Toby M
12-31-04, 11:20 AM
Seems to me that someone notified my parents that I was graduating-don't know who but I assume it was Hq. I found out in a letter from home. Lo and behold, the information was correct! I think we were all in such a state of shock that we had made it but knew that shoretly thereafter, we would be heading into harms way...

Namvet67
12-31-04, 11:26 AM
odc25....lots of work ahead of you and planning for grad day is not at the top of the list. You got to make it through bootcamp first. Not everybody does. Are you prepared? You do not get a guarantee on getting the title when you sign up and it's not automatic on how long you will be in bootcamp. If you screw up..you might be spending a few extra weeks or months in the depot. Forget about graduation....and start working on how you are going to earn the title of United States Marine. gbudd

hrscowboy
12-31-04, 11:48 AM
you aint got no momma poolie when your in the Marine Corps your momma daddy brother and sister is the Marine Corps at least thats what my drill instructor used to tell us when we was in boot..

jinelson
12-31-04, 12:24 PM
odc25 all the replies that you received to your post are very true and honest do yourself a favor and consider them. You need to concentrate only on readying yourself for what lies before you and then graduating with your platoon.

drillinstructor
12-31-04, 01:10 PM
Damn these poolees get smarter by the minute, A's in Math. OK OK Well there is 12 weeks of training, ............................approx. ..................1 week in receiving Barracks. Depends when the nasty thing arrives.....Once you pick up with a plaroon it is 12 weeks........

drillinstructor
12-31-04, 01:13 PM
It Is visitor Thursday now and the week you arrive you will pick up on that first Friday, then 12 weeks from there, do not make your plans yet....YOU MAY NOT MAKE IT OR BE DROPPED FOR ANY REASON...PNEUMONIA, MISSED TRAINING, DENTAL, BROKE LEG ON A HIKE , HELL YOU WILL HAVE TIME AND LETTERS WILL BE SENT HOME

odc25
12-31-04, 03:50 PM
Thank you Drill Instructor! and everyone else I suppose your all very right, but I will earn the title of marine! I am excited about boot camp! I have been running, and doing everything thats needed of me so I believe I am ready but none the less keep training :-) and make it through and then send info on boot camp! Sounds good to me Thanks for all the replys and Drill Instructor I apprecitate your time sir! ty

Brandon

odc25
12-31-04, 04:06 PM
Dental? Im curious about that lol what exactly do they look at during dental?

cjjohnson
12-31-04, 04:34 PM
odc25...I like your I will make it attitude. I'm not a Marine but I'm around them all the time(family & friends). From Korea, Vietnam, Iraq era. They are a different breed. I hope you make it. Good luck.

jinelson
12-31-04, 04:46 PM
odc25 They will look at everything you got and even things you didnt know you had. The Corps wants perfect human specimens. One thing that you need to learn is, as a Marine you will be expected to be very thorough and you should start as a poolie so why dont you edit your profile and and make it complete and drop the San Diego since you have not been there yet? I wish you nothing but the best in your quest to be one of the few.

odc25
12-31-04, 05:09 PM
Jinelson - I have edited my profile sir! and it doesn't allow you to re-select so It has to stay San Diego but I did put an Explanation for it sir.

Brandon

odc25
12-31-04, 09:07 PM
Cjjohnson, do you think that's the right attitude to approach it with?

jinelson
01-01-05, 12:21 PM
Brandon your attitude is outstanding and that will help you go far in your quest to become a Marine. Please dont call me sir though as I do not rate it, you may call me by my first name SSgt or Jim. I would be honored to stand before the parade deck at MCRD San Diego and watch you get your eagle globe and anchor. You will do our Corps proud!

Good Luck
Jim

odc25
01-01-05, 01:01 PM
Thank You SSgt!

Cole11
01-01-05, 01:42 PM
As the GySgt. said, you never know what may happen, you could get dropped for sicknesses, injuries, etc. You will have a oppurtunity in boot camp to make travel reservations with SATO, which is like a serviceman's travel agency. Trust me Poolee, thats the last thing you need to worry about, dont worry you will have an oppurtunity to make reservations.

odc25
01-01-05, 03:49 PM
Yep I figured that out my mom was asking about it so I thought I would ask lol honestly I didnt even think about how I would get home from basic or anything lol jus knew when I was goin and my mos !

TRLewis
01-01-05, 06:51 PM
HAHA, Black friday for me was this, "I dont know when you ____ing pieces of ____ are going to graduate. Personally I dont give a ____, and the rest of you if I see any _od ____ short timers calander I will personally see that you stay on this island until I ____ing retire."

Very discouraging when your DI's dont care to look at when you are graduating. And remember Poolees

YOU ARE ALWAYS BEING WATCHED!!!

Our DI's observed us in receiving to tell who they were dealing with.

cjjohnson
01-01-05, 06:55 PM
odc25...yes, you have the right attitude. Looks like you have made up your mindto become a Marine and you are going for it. Keep us posted in the future.

odc25
01-01-05, 07:30 PM
Thanks for all the helpful input It helps a lot! This past summer I went to a military run camp...marines,army,navy,airforce, coast guard everyone was there as drill instructors and I always knew to...

jinelson
01-02-05, 02:43 PM
Brandon sounds like a fun camp but I assure you that MCRD is a much different kind of atmosphere. I must give you a little adice now please keep in mind that the word Marine is always capitalized, there are Marines that snoop and poop this site that will bite your head off for making that mistake. Oh yeah swimming is one of the best all round excercises as you use every single muscle in you body but you still need to build endurance by running, doing push ups, pull ups, crunches and situps.

odc25
01-02-05, 05:13 PM
jinelson , I do know Marine is always capitalized my mistake there sorry all! and I know the MCRD is a lot different a lot more people yelling at you all the time! I do pull-ups and sit-ups, however as for running swimming coach would beat me sense less if I run before our championship meets so I will get on the running hardcore shortly after Feb 14th or so when our state meet is over.

jinelson
01-02-05, 05:20 PM
Good to hear that Brandon, check your PM box I sent you one.

cjjohnson
01-02-05, 05:23 PM
odc2.....listen to the S/Sgt....Marine is spelled ALWAYS with a captial M. We will be watching your progress. The best is yet to come. CJ

enviro
01-02-05, 05:27 PM
ODC -

The answers you seek can be found here:

http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/RTR/2005_grad_sched.htm

Boot Camp always ends on a Friday and begins on a Monday.

Barring a few exceptions, bootcamp is always 12 weeks of training and 1 week of receiving.

http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/RTR/RTRmatrix2A_new.htm

odc25
01-02-05, 07:50 PM
Ok another ? I was told to NOT take the Squad Leader Position if offered nor the Guide but to take the Scribes position if offered?!

Phantom Blooper
01-02-05, 08:00 PM
I don't know about today,but you were not offered anythingwhen I went in in 1973.. You were told what you were going to do and NO second guessing or questions and that was that or you a** was in CCP,Motivation,or the Gear Locker. A scribe is one that normally has a college education or background. Good Luck! Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall:marine:

SuNmAN
01-02-05, 09:03 PM
Brandon. You seem like a highly motivated person. You seem like Guide material to me. I was the 1st Guide in my platoon and I wasn't guide material so I was fired in a few days. A motivated man like you will excel in boot camp. Be a vocal leader, thats what boot camp is about.

It's gonna hurt, you'll miss home, and it does suck very very much, but when you receive that EGA on Thursday, it will all be a thing of the distant past.

SuNmAN
01-02-05, 09:05 PM
I don't kinow about other companies...but in Delta Company, the scribe has a lot of work and responsibilities but no authority whatsoever. So basically he's just a recruit with extra work.

Be a squad leader/Guide. They are the ones who run the show in the absence of a Drill Instructor and they usually get meritoriously promoted.

odc25
01-03-05, 12:36 AM
Thank you SunMan! Thanks for the Input man Ive gotta ask all these questions before I go :-)

drillinstructor
01-03-05, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by odc25
Ok another ? I was told to NOT take the Squad Leader Position if offered nor the Guide but to take the Scribes position if offered?!

YOU WILL NOT TAKE **** UNLESS YOU ARE TOLD AND IF YOU ARE TOLD IT IS AYE AYE SIR

garryh123
01-03-05, 10:12 PM
When did they change a recruits responce from "SIR YES SIR!" to "AYE AYE SIR!".....just curious.....sounds kinda squidly to me. LOL

odc25
01-03-05, 11:16 PM
Drill Instructor I was told the position could be offered, once again I am NOT a Marine yet so I do not know these things..

hrscowboy
01-03-05, 11:20 PM
aye aye sir??? what the hell ? what ever happened to sir yes sir?? aye aye sir sounds Navy to me what kind of crap is that who the hell thought this one up...

marinehmm262
01-04-05, 12:34 AM
what happened to the 26 mile hump up mount mother..............

hrscowboy
01-04-05, 01:46 AM
there you go marinehmm262 and also sheep shlits damn they where the mothers of all mothers..

jinelson
01-04-05, 07:32 AM
I been up and down both of those scenic hills they are the most fun after its been raining for a week or two. And yes hrscowboy they are the mothers of all mothers. As for SIR YES SIR changing to AYE AYE SIR I completed boot in 1967 and I remember both were used but mainly SIR YES SIR. We were taught that AYE AYE SIR was only to answer an officer when given an order meaning you understood it and you would accomplish the order immediately.

gwladgarwr
01-04-05, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by odc25

You are not OFFERED anything in boot camp; if Daddy says, "Tag, yer it", you are IT. There's no pick-n-choose in boot camp, except for how high you want to jump into the air when Daddy says, "Side-straddle hops!!!"

Everybody ends up HATING the scribe because he gets to make the fire watch list, and to cover his own butt, he will often brown-nose up to the SDI or his other hats. He has the most work to do, before reveille and after lights-out. And still has to get his own stuff done. Not fun. So, if they ask, "Who plays some good hoop?" or "Who can rap real good?" -- keep yer mouth shut, even if you were Kobe Bryant or Jam Master J. Remember, part of the lesson in holding one of these "billets" is to see how you react and "proact" under stress and how you deal with your peers. It's a lesson in stress control, crisis management, and most of all, LEADERSHIP. If you can't lead under pressure (like maybe, during a firefight), they can't expect you to even lead a squad out of the head.

Don't look TOO eager to volunteer for anything - no one likes a brown-noser. Much of the time, the hats or SDI has already picked his scribe, squad leaders, etc. and are just asking to see who will step up as opposed to who is the most useful.

TRLewis
01-04-05, 09:17 AM
"Who writes like a *****?"

Thats how we got our scribe. And we all liked him, understood he had his job to do. Which was damn hard. I never hated him for putting me on firewatch.

yellowwing
01-04-05, 09:52 AM
We had a weasel of a scribe. Not many liked him but he got the job done. Don't know if get got a promotion, don't really care! The Guide and Squad Leaders were all promoted.

DSchmitke
01-04-05, 09:54 AM
Our scribe was called the House Mouse.

HardJedi
01-04-05, 10:24 AM
OK, nah, scribe and house mouse were two different things for us. house mouse was the guy responsible for cleaning the DI hut on field days.

and Kid? Listen. if you are offered a position, TAKE IT, and do the best you can with it, and don't get discouraged when they fire you from it. and I almost PROMISE you, you WILL GET FIRED if you are and early squad leader or guide. You won't know enough to not mess up. it just happens.

If you are told you are squad leader, and say" but sir, i don't want to be a sqaud leader, I'd rather be a scribe," I can PROMISE you, you will end up VERY unhappy.

not because of the job, but because of the crao you are gonna take frim the DI's.

DSchmitke
01-04-05, 10:27 AM
They had both jobs. Two little guys. And one would always pi$$ his pants on inspections.

odc25
01-04-05, 11:42 AM
Well that certainly cleared that up for me Thank your Hard Jedi and gwladgarwr for all the input on my subject and everyone else thanks for the comments also! I wouldnt mind at all being squad or Guide so whatever happens will happen and I will take it as it come and deal with it!

drillinstructor
01-04-05, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by hrscowboy
aye aye sir??? what the hell ? what ever happened to sir yes sir?? aye aye sir sounds Navy to me what kind of crap is that who the hell thought this one up...

There is no more “sir sandwich” It is Yes Sir, No Sir or Aye Aye Sir. Aye Aye is acknowledgement not a question so how do you get sir yes sir from that? Any whoo It changes from time to time and as soon as another officer takes over it may change back to the sir sandwich.

Cole11
01-04-05, 03:39 PM
OORAH Gunnery Sgt.

odc25
01-04-05, 05:30 PM
so when I go to boot camp it will be Yes Sir, and AYE AYE?

drillinstructor
01-05-05, 06:29 AM
If asked a question it is Yes Sir or No Sir...if told to get the f### over here it is Aye Aye Sir...of course yelled with a crispr sharp tone.........

drillinstructor
01-05-05, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by drillinstructor

There is no more “sir sandwich” It is Yes Sir, No Sir or Aye Aye Sir. Aye Aye is acknowledgement not a question so how do you get sir yes sir from that? Any whoo It changes from time to time and as soon as another officer takes over it may change back to the sir sandwich.

and after all we are a department of the Navy.....

THE MENS DEPARTMENT!!!!!

TRLewis
01-05-05, 06:57 AM
We had one guy, I swear he reminded me of pvt pyle from FMJ. We were scared of this guy. Anyways he wasnt the brightest, but he had heart and thats what counted more than anything. He always said, sir yes sir. After the first week the DI's gave up on him and just let him say it.