PDA

View Full Version : Any Air Crew Marines?

Jon Taylor
12-28-04, 05:39 PM
I'm about to head out to NAS Pensacola for aircrew school, and would like to know a little bit more of the order of schooling that I'm about to go through. At MCT I talked to a MsGySgt who informed the group of Aircrew students that we were going to be sent to Crew Chief school after we completed the basic aircraft maintenance school. Anyone have anything that they could tell me? Am I way off?

Semper Fi

Jon Taylor

greensideout
12-28-04, 09:23 PM
Interesting to hear that there is an air crew school now.

When I was in, it was learn as you go. Was air crew with VMO-6, VMO-2, HMM-362 and HMH-462.

I can't help you out with the questions on the schooling but I will tell you that you are going to have one hell of an exciting time flying with the Marine Corps!

enviro
12-28-04, 09:28 PM
Yes - you'll go to a training squadron either on MCAS New River, NC or MCAS Pendleton, CA if you go helos. If you go fast movers, you'll go to MCAS Miramar, CA or MCAS Cherry Point, NC.

Training squadrons are designated with a "T" such as HMT-302 or VMMT-204 (Osprey).

greensideout
12-28-04, 10:34 PM
Lessons learned;

1. Never trust the indigenous troops to be friendly.

2. Never beleive that you have enough ammo.

3. Never believe that the bird that you are in won't get shot up. It will.

4. You will have the best pilot in the world.

5. Never believe that he won't make a mistake.

6. You will be the best authority about the bird that you are in.

7.Never trust another opinion to be better then your own about that bird.

8. KNOW THE BIRD WELL!

9. If you fly long enough, you will go bump or splash. Be prepared.

10. Flying makes the blood flow! :D

garryh123
12-28-04, 10:40 PM
One of my proudest days as an F-4 Phantom Plane Captain was the day Capt. Smith came up up to the bird, kicked the nose wheel and climbed in the cockpit..Asked him why he didn't do a pre-flight, he responded "I trust you" he knew me from VMFA-323 and VMFAT-101.....metal shop and powerplants used to hate me! I never let anything slip during my inspections of any bird I was sending out!

greensideout
12-28-04, 11:11 PM
garryh123,

That's it! He knew that you were doing your job! He was willing to bet his life on it.

I did a re-bulid on an engine component that required a flight by a test pilot.

He asked, "Is it fixed?" "Get in the back seat and we will see".

He was a good pilot and the ride was wild!

I never had a doubt. :D

garryh123
12-28-04, 11:59 PM
Capt. Smith wanted to take me for a flight...but it was against regs at that time. 81-85. Only NCO (Rump kisser) of the month got to do that! LOL

yellowwing
12-29-04, 01:08 AM
The base newspaper in El Toro published a poem written by a plane captain. I wish I could find it and post it here.

The plane captain was talking about freezing at 0 dark 30, busted knuckles, cracked ribs, and the seared fingertips that he endured to maintain the aircraft.

The closing was something like, "so young aviator, the next time you 'Slip the Surly Bonds of Earth', just remember you are doing it in OUR aircraft!"

garryh123
12-29-04, 01:12 AM
Sh*t....I've launched many a bird....120 degrees during summer....with 200 plus degrees exhaust blowin on me....wouldnt trade that experience for the world

garryh123
01-10-05, 05:55 AM
Had my finger nearly cut in half by some boot who turned the air hose on before I had it connected to the F-4.......needless to say ...he never forgot that day.LOL