PDA

View Full Version : Question

AlmostHuman
12-27-04, 10:49 PM
Hi. Marine-wannabe right here. I just started working out just a couple of days ago and, not surprisingly, I'm in VERY poor shape. I've never lifted weights and the only mile runs I had were from high school. I'm not overweight nor underweright, but I'm just a little over the weight minimum in Marine standards.

My question is: what would be better to do: enlist now and have a better chance at getting the MOS I want, or train first before enlisting so that I can be better prepared for the poolee functions.

Thanks.

mississippiboy
12-27-04, 10:59 PM
Your recruiters will help you get into shape. The first pool function you go to you will most likely receive an IST or to see where you stand with pull ups, sit ups, and 1.5 mile run. They will give you a program to help you with whatever you are having problems with if anything. Ultimately it is up to you to follow their instructions and determine how much you want to be in the Marine Corps. I leave in March and am in better shape now than I was at 18 I am 25 and will turn 26 in boot camp. As far as enlistment goes you can stay in the DEP for up to one year. Some jobs are easier to get into than others and more jobs will be available depending on your ASVAB score. I would say go ahead and get in shape and talk to a recruiter too for starters. That way you know where you stand and can determine what all you need to do. Hope that helps answer your question.

woodman
12-27-04, 11:03 PM
Enlist now and kick the PT into high gear. why waste time you'll have 4 years of training any way you look at it and that time will suck if you hate what your doing. Go hit the wrestling room at the high school. It will work everything that boot camp will all in the same workout. and be prepared to be SORE for a few days.
Good luck

CAR
12-28-04, 02:41 AM
Almost,
If your just over the minimum weight requiremnt then weight isn't an issue. Eat right and no matter how you cut it you have to put some miles on those gym shoes. Start out slow, jog and build up some distance. Then work on improving speed and endurance. You don't need to hit the weights, but you do need to do some cals ( situps, pull-ups, push ups, push ups, push ups). It sounds like you'll have some time before you would be able to ship out. If that is the case then you just need to start....... it will all come together.

As for waiting to go into the Corp, why? If you know that's what you want to do .... get on it, tomorrow is the next day of the rest of your life. You've got a good site here to get some answers to some questions so use it. Talk to the recruiter, get informed on MOS's and educate yourself on the Corps. The folks in the DEP program will help you out. Use that support unit, that's why it's there.

Good luck

smoking878
12-28-04, 03:47 AM
hell dude, be even better, join the army

hooah

LivinSoFree
12-28-04, 04:02 AM
Smoking.... the last time you did something like this, the area around you bloody near became a free fire zone. While this board encourages members to express their opinions, you're just being ill mannered. Read the FAQ if you have any doubts about this. Do NOT disrespect the Marines on this site (ESPECIALLY the ones who have paid their dues several times over) and the fine woman that takes the time out of her life to run it by acting like this.

Leatherneck.com- "All Marine, All the Time" Period.

woodman
12-28-04, 06:18 AM
It could be worse Livin........ smoking could be leading YOU into combat. Hooah ? aint that the sound a hog makes when ya kick em in the azz. See why the Marines are the right choice almost.

jinelson
12-29-04, 03:07 PM
Well said Meyer very well said indeed .

hrscowboy
12-29-04, 03:14 PM
hahahaha when well them doggies ever learn??