PDA

View Full Version : Stressed Veterans Deserve the Best Support

thedrifter
12-27-04, 08:27 AM
Stressed Veterans Deserve the Best Support

By Philip A Quigley

The biggest tragedy of the Vietnam War was not that we were involved in a hugely unpopular war against a highly adaptive, morally unscrupulous enemy with high collateral losses, but that returning veterans were treated with disrespect and disdain from the nation they had served.

Today, we are waging a popular war against terror with Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. Like Vietnam, our enemy is highly adaptive, but unlike our enemy in Vietnam, today’s insurgents are fueled with religious fanaticism and unafraid of death.

The fighting is fierce amidst marketplaces, religious sites and homes, with the fog of war shrouding all. Today’s soldiers and Marines cannot tell friend from foe. They lose comrades from Improvised Explosive Devices on highways and roads. They can never be sure when they might be relieved and see home again. These are just some of the stresses troops today are suffering.

In urban guerilla warfare, troops can never truly “let their hair down.” They are always on edge, always looking over their shoulder for that ever-looming insurgent attack. It should be no surprise that our returning veterans are coming home with varying degrees of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). According to a report in The New York Times on Dec. 16, 2004:

“An Army study shows that about one in six soldiers in Iraq report symptoms of major depression, serious anxiety or post-traumatic stress disorder, a proportion that some experts believe could eventually climb to one in three, the rate ultimately found in Vietnam veterans …. Some experts predict that the number eventually requiring mental health treatment could exceed 100,000.”

These newly published figures are now coming to light. Many medical professionals see this as the “medical story of the war,” according to the Times report, and are uncertain of the civilian medical community’s ability to adequately treat such a huge number of patients. Many of our readers have loved ones deployed overseas and ask, “What is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? How will it affect my loved one?”

Simply, PTSD is a psychiatric disorder that can occur following the experience or witnessing of life-threatening events, particularly modern combat. People who suffer from PTSD often relive these experiences through nightmares and flashbacks. They have difficulty sleeping, and feel detached or estranged from their “normal” home environment. These symptoms can be so severe and last so long to significantly impair the person's daily life.

(For detailed information, contact the Intervention and Treatment Branch, Building 1122, Camp Pendleton, CA, or phone (760) 725-9051).

Many Americans viewed returning Vietnam veterans with contempt. Because of the thinking of the day regarding mental health, they placed many societal stigmas on these veterans. How many movies, television shows and books have we seen depicting the Rambo-type, gun-toting, rabid, war-fanatic Vietnam veteran with a scarred psyche? All of these examples are extreme cases of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and border on psychotic.

Many veterans were citizens who did their job, did it with honor, and came home. They were treated poorly. Today, society has changed its stance on mental health and some of the stigmas have gone away. With a popular war on terror being conducted, the veterans returning home now are treated much better and with more respect than generations before them.

A good portion of our readers here at SFTT.org are upstanding citizens with military backgrounds. A much smaller fraction are citizens with both a military background and combat experience. A far larger proportion than both of the above are upstanding citizens who have never worn a uniform.

No matter our personal backgrounds and experiences, we all have a duty as Americans to show our gratitude and respect for today’s returning veterans. We must be open and understanding for their current emotional, physical, and psychological state. As taxpayers, it is our duty to support them and to press our congressional representatives to ensure that sufficient resources are provided to programs aimed at helping veterans diagnosed with PTSD.

We as a nation must make it known to out veterans we understand they have experienced a dangerous and stressful time, and even though they have returned home, they may experience some strong emotional and physical reactions. It is normal what these veterans are experiencing. This does not mean they are crazy or weak. What this means is they have experienced something so emotionally overwhelming that they need our help and our support.

Let’s all do our part to guarantee that support is there.

Contributing Editor Philip A. Quigley Jr. served as an enlisted Marine combat scout during Operation Iraqi Freedom, and is pursuing a post-military goal of writing about contemporary defense issues. He can be reached at HawkmanPQ@aol.com. *Send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

Ellie

Sgt. Smitty
01-05-05, 11:13 PM
Outstanding post Ellie, Roger would have been real proud of this one. The average everyday person that has never seen combat or been in a rocket attack can NEVER understand the changes these things make in our minds. I pray that the vets of today never have to experience the name calling, garbage throwing so-called fellow Americans gave us Nam vets. I wouldn't even wish that on my worst enemy. If being in Nam wasn't enough of a mind f**k, our homecoming totally destroyed everything that all the vets of Nam heald dearest, our pride, dignity and self esteem. I can't speak for any other Nam vets in here, but as for myself, i CANNOT, and WILL NOT ever forget or forgive this country and the people our ages for what they did to us. PTSD is by no stretch of the imagination a picnic. It is a very disabling mental condition that affects a person down the their very being and is a lot of times fatal. Been there and almost done that. I take this topic extremely serious because it is. Whether people believe in it or not, i don't give a dam because i live with it every day of my life. And will have to til the day i make the final muster. This is not a thing to be taken lightly...............Smitty Love ya for this one

MillRatUSMC
01-06-05, 05:30 AM
When we returned we faced indifference and hostility, compound that with there was hardly no one that we could speak or talk to about how we felt about what we had seen or done.
Veterans from World War II in most part did not understand the difficulties of fighting an enemy that was using mostly booby-traps as a means of fighting us.
Because of what he had learn in 1965, that they could not defeat us in the field of battle.
He chose to fight us in the public arena, because he knew and was aid by the anti-war movement, that Americans would soon grow tired of seeing caskets coming home.
Yes, there was social stigma and stigma in the military, anyone seeking treatment was seen as unfit or weak.
Besides that the people responsibile for giving us treatment had no idea of what ail us.
To give you an idea of how bad thing were at that time, we had to build a memorial to honor our dead by collecting donations till enough pressure was brought on the government to aid us in building that memorial.
Even in the building there was differences of opinion, that required that statues of three military people be added.
Next was the addition of a small memorial to honor the women that served in Vietnam.
Those women suffered more than the men they treated of help by the jobs that they performed.
America MUST DO BETTER to these returning veterans or shame on us.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Sgt. Smitty
01-06-05, 01:11 PM
OOOOOORRRRRRAAAAAHHHHH there millrat.........Sempers

Namvet67
01-06-05, 01:15 PM
Ditto