PDA

View Full Version : Commercial... gone too far!

top1371
12-26-04, 05:14 PM
I just saw a MicroTouch commercial. It portrayed a DI and some prives.... they even played the Marines Hymn!

Anyone else seen this? Go here to watch it....

https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/ideavillage/microtouch/105264/

Toby M
12-26-04, 05:35 PM
Pvt. Hairball???? Hmmmmm....

TRLewis
12-26-04, 06:16 PM
Yeah I seen it. Its easier to let things go, just petty BS. Now if they had strippers on top of the Vietnam Memorial, that would be different. Sadly I own one of those but I bought it last year, I threw it away after seeing the commercial.

LivinSoFree
12-26-04, 06:27 PM
*sigh* Will the rest of the world ever understand the Marine?

Toby M
12-26-04, 10:45 PM
I was just thinking, I could have used one of those things while in boot camp. My D.I. found a "hair" on my chin so I had to go thru the motions every single day...put shaving cream on face, scrape off lather with razor (my D.I. had me take the blade out so I wouldn't cut myself). I didn't shave for the first three years of my hitch but if I had had one of them gadgets, I could have shaved my already clean-cut face smooth of that one hair! memories...

Sgtj
12-26-04, 11:27 PM
14.99 not too bad.

rockhopper
12-26-04, 11:58 PM
Doesn't bother me all that much. I just take it as an homage to the clean-cut good-looks of a US Marine! :)

Could they have done the commercial using Navy, Air Force, or even Army boot camp? I think not! :D

jinelson
12-27-04, 07:58 AM
Toby M that makes me laugh I didnt need to shave either back then and I also got busted with a hair on my chin. My DI Sgt. Adams gave me a very used and dull razor blade to dry shave with man did it tear me up. Ahhh the good old days.

Old Marine
12-27-04, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by rockhopper
Doesn't bother me all that much. I just take it as an homage to the clean-cut good-looks of a US Marine! :)

Could they have done the commercial using Navy, Air Force, or even Army boot camp? I think not! :D

The above services do not have a Boot Camp. They have a program called Basic Training.

rockhopper
12-27-04, 12:10 PM
My wife is Air Force. She and many of her fellow airman (who are also serving their country honorably) call it boot camp. My Army friend who was killed in Desert Storm called his Army training "boot camp". While I am proud to be a Marine, and I take and give some ribbing, I don't demean them by correcting them about their name of basic training.

Old Marine
12-28-04, 07:53 AM
Rockhopper: If this offended you, its a shame.

The simple fact is that the is only one Boot Camp and that is the United States Marine Corps Boot Camp.

The rest of the services programs are Basic Training as I stated in my previous post.

I rest my case, and Semper Fi.

DEEPJOHN
12-28-04, 09:11 AM
I BELIVE THAT IT WAS 1970, THE NAVY WAS GIVEN PREMISSION TO GROW SIDEBURNS ,BEARDS, MUSTACHES, I STARTED TO GROW MY STACH AND WAS INFORMED BY A GUNNY THAT I WAS BREAKING THE 11TH COMANDENT. HE THEN RECITED THIS COMANDENT. THOU SHALL NOT CULTAVATE ANYTHING ON THY FACE THAT GROWS WILD AROUND THY *******! I PROMPTLY SHAVED AND HAVE REMAINED CLEAN SHAVEN SINCE. SEMPER FI FROM FROM A OLD BROKE DOWN DOC

rockhopper
12-28-04, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Old Marine
Rockhopper: If this offended you, its a shame.

The simple fact is that the is only one Boot Camp and that is the United States Marine Corps Boot Camp.

The rest of the services programs are Basic Training as I stated in my previous post.

I rest my case, and Semper Fi.

And ours is officially called Marine Corps Recruit Training. So there is no "simple fact." So if we are going to correct everyone on their "official name" of training, should I start correcting everyone who calls ours "boot camp"?

http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/RTR/trainingDS.htm

jinelson
01-04-05, 08:38 AM
This commercial just aired in the San Fransisco Bay Area and I remembered this thread. I noticed two things that were not correct with this so called DI, one the Gunnery Sergeant chevrons have no crossed rifles and the other thing I noticed is the ribbons were out of proper sequence and were of more than one branch. I get so irritated when hollywood does not make an effort to portray Marines correctly. Full Metal Jacket is the best example of an accurate portrayal that I can think of and its fairly old now.

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 11:37 AM
yeah well everyone knows Lee was a Real Marine DI.. So that is why he always looks so sharp. I had the honor of being able to meet him at one of the Marine Corps Birthday Balls. It was a total honor to have met him. I have to say that he is a one of a kind. I have watched a few movies here lately that I never even noticed that he was in until the last time that I saw him. But you can tell hes a Marine just from the way that he acts, and how he sounds. He is MARINE thru and thru.

jinelson
01-04-05, 11:44 AM
femalemarine_89 I also met him at the RS San Fransisco Ball two years ago. Did you see The Boys In Company C? He was much younger and the exact duplicate of my Senior Drill Instructor.

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 11:49 AM
you mean the boys in company C right? I did see that movie awhile back. Its one of them I want to add to my collection. Its funny to see our DVD collection as almost all the military movies are mine. LOL.. Shoot the first movie we bought when we got the new dvd player was windtalkers and heartbreak ridge..

JAG5150
01-04-05, 12:12 PM
You know that the hollywood people don't have the time to learn about the history of our beloved corps. If they did learn it would mean that they had half a brain. Not only that they make these things for the general public, not us Marines

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 12:14 PM
Thats so true Jag.. I was at a friends house and she was watching a soap opera and they had a Marine on there and I went off on the whole Dress blues that he was wearing.. they had him at that time as a Pvt with a blood stripe... Not sure what they have done with him now.. LOL

Sgt. Smitty
01-04-05, 01:41 PM
Shoulda courts martialed the sh*thead............LOL The first time i saw this commercial i got real irritated not only with the uniform and medals but at the fact that they played OUR song in the backround. IF i remember correctly, the so-called DI didn't have the eagle,globe and anchor on his cover either. What a bunch of morons!!!!!!!!!!

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 01:45 PM
come to think about it I think you are right smitty..

humblysuperior
01-04-05, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by femalemarine_89
I have watched a few movies here lately that I never even noticed that he was in until the last time that I saw him.

How do you think he did in "The Manchurian Candidate?
I knew I knew who it was but wasn't sure since it wasn't a role that I would associate him with.

S/A, Hum

JAG5150
01-04-05, 03:54 PM
My wife does a lot of scrap booking and wanted to do some of me in my blues. The little emblishments that were supposed to be Marine blues had anchors and Sgt. chevrons and no blood stripes. Needless to say these were not purchased and she always checks with me bfore buying anything that has to do with the Marines, I must put my seal of approval on everything that has to do with the Corps.

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 04:02 PM
I have not seen the manchurian candidate yet.. is it a good movie??

Old Marine
01-04-05, 05:03 PM
Before crossed rifles, a 5 striper was called a Technical Sgt. This was before E-8 and E-9.

Pvt
Pfc
cpl
Sgt
SSgt
TSgt
MSgt

yellowwing
01-04-05, 05:12 PM
I like watching that tv show "Las Vegas". James Caan is a really good actor.

But this makes me sick!
http://primetimetv.about.com/library/graphics/2LSVcg03.jpg

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 05:16 PM
OMG..

vfm
01-04-05, 05:20 PM
I think every one missed TOP's point. What gives this company the right to use My MARINE CORPS to promote its product. And furthermore Use the Marine Corps Hymn at the end of the commercial.
I agree with TOP it went too far.
SEMPER FI!!!
vfm

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 05:22 PM
I totally agree with you both on that point. I think the commercial is a disgrace. I dont know if it has been banned yet or not but if not it should be.

humblysuperior
01-05-05, 12:58 AM
I saw a Ralph Lauren/Polo t-shirt with the EGA on it the other day. I could have sworn that my DI told me that something like that was unsat.

S/F, hum

humblysuperior
01-05-05, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by femalemarine_89
I have not seen the manchurian candidate yet.. is it a good movie??

Yeah, it's an ok flik. Sorta makes ya wonder about who really runs the country though. Not that anyone has been implanted with devices but just the influence of big business on our domestic policies. It seems that each day it becomes a little more "by the corporation for the corporation" and less "by the people, for the people".

S/F, hum