PDA

View Full Version : I'm gona go get me a puppy!

Sparrowhawk
12-25-04, 03:28 PM
Looking for a Collie, or maybe a Scottish Terrier?

That gosh darn; Benny Rutledge, with his Fireside Chat post, got me to thinking about getting a dog.

Maybe I can find one that will sit there at my side, in the early mornings, not chase the birds that hang around, but will go after that neighbor's cat.

One that's mean, protective, one that will chase wimen dogs in the area and wouldn't mind if I get him a Marine Corps tattoo on one of his hind legs.

Not a Chesty Dog... humm gona have to work on this one...

Any suggestions?

cjjohnson
12-25-04, 04:59 PM
Part Great Dane and part Bull Dog should be what you are looking for. That would qualify for the the Big the Bad and the Ugly.

Toby M
12-25-04, 07:42 PM
Had a German Shepherd once...best dog I ever had. Hated the neighbor kid too...I'm thinking of getting another one.

femalemarine_89
12-25-04, 09:04 PM
Hey I have a Boxer/Pittbull mix... :D.. but sorry i wont share.. shes my baby.. hehehe

Old Marine
12-27-04, 08:56 AM
I have two Dauchaunds and they are great dogs. Their only problem is they can develope back troubles. Great companions though. Told the wife that if there is another life after this one, there will be no kids for me.

Sparrowhawk
12-27-04, 09:18 AM
Yesterday we went looking for a dog at the shelters around here.

As we were driving there, my wife said;

"What you need is a companion, an obedient one that will not question you, that will stay there at your side, love you, not talk all the time and be willing to do anything you want her to do, play anytime you would like too..."

And I'm thinking to myself, hum, isn't that what everyman wants... LOL

Well, we put a hold on a Cocker Spaniel we found a black one, but I am no. 2 in line for her, and she won’t be available until the 4th of January.

About 1 ½ years old, a stray, and a nice playful dog, I lowered my hand and she laid down (now, why can't all women do that...LOL)

Then she came up crawling on her belly and wanted to be rubbed and she just laid there and loved it...

Hum, I'm thinking, I do that all the time now as it is, do I need another women's belly to rub...to make her happy? LMAO

Osotogary
12-27-04, 09:26 AM
Looks like you've got a way with the chicks...excuse me.....I meant wimen..... of any species. You have been blessed.

Sparrowhawk
12-27-04, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Osotogary
Looks like you've got a way with the chicks...excuse me.....I meant wimen..... of any species. You have been blessed.

Humm, makes me think..

No, don't think that, its just that you needs to know what wimen want.

Let's set a trap.. I'll show you.

I will post on the "Why are Women the way they are," tread some bait, and we'll see who takes it... LMAO

Now, don't go tell anybody what we are doing, cause then it might not work. LOL

Wimen like candy, some women like M&M candies, other's Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, etc, you just got to learn what they like then set the trap...

then just sit-n-wait...

Hahahehehe .. LMAO

al20852
12-27-04, 10:32 AM
Have a German Shepherd now, and it seems to me to be the perfect dog. Smart as a whip, great with the family and kids. seems to me to make no sense to get a dog if it can't put the fear of God into the bad guys. And a German Shepherd can certainly do that. Very territorial.

nc.gal
12-27-04, 10:46 AM
THREAD FIRST?------------looks like I got caught???

:o
:D

thinks I should go hide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sparrowhawk
12-27-04, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
Then she came up crawling on her belly and wanted to be rubbed and she just laid there and loved it...

Hum, I'm thinking, I do that all the time now as it is, do I need another women's belly to rub...to make her happy? LMAO

Originally posted by nc.gal
THREAD FIRST?------------looks like I got caught???

:o
:D

thinks I should go hide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humm, so you also like your belly rubbed?

LMAO

nc.gal
12-27-04, 03:54 PM
know:D

I thinks(as you speak) you twisted words around?;)

DSchmitke
12-28-04, 10:51 AM
Labs are great dogs. Have a white German Shepherd, Rotty & a Saint Bernard. Check with animal rescues you can find excellent dogs. And save the cost of a breeder.

nc.gal
12-28-04, 11:11 AM
Cook, if you can't get the cocker spaniel,
how about a schnauzer?
Or a minature doberman pinscher....

Sgt Morales, AM
12-28-04, 01:54 PM
I love Shih-Tzu's!!!
I have a 1 1/2 year Shih-Tzu named Rocky! He is my little champ. He's very loyal and extremely smart. He always barks at the neighbors and loves to chase their cats up trees. My neighbors cat, Silvester, had to be rescued from this tall pine tree after Rocky chased him up there. He hates cats so much that he even barks at them when he sees them on TV.
He is constantly there next to me keeping me company. He is the best dog I have EVER had.
I hope this helps!

Ann

Sparrowhawk
01-01-05, 05:52 PM
the puppy, I want to get!

http://www.mattsfunhouse.com/gallery/albums/work/dogarrest.jpg

Sparrowhawk
01-04-05, 10:11 AM
is still there and we have second dips on her. But, now I'm having second thoughts.

My daughter said, Cocker Spaniels are wimps, a girly dog, and we don't want a fufu dog around. LMAO

I don't like pit bulls, or bulldogs, thay are too ugly and fart all the time.

I did see a wrinkled faced dog there yesterday, a mix breed dog, that I will probably get if no one has adopted her yet.

She's only six months old, so she will be troublesome, but maybe will a good morning drill, I'll get her tired enough to be still and sit at my feet during the early morning hours.

What shall I name her... humm

<strike>NC.Gal, Morales, Eleanor, Cas, Silvia, Mary, Linda, Rosemary, woman...</strike>

Decided to erase, those names just in case anyone of them logs on...

LMAO

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 10:41 AM
im partial to my dog.. she is a good dog the only problem with her is that she likes to crawl in our bed at night and somehow she gets under the covers and inbetween me and my husband.. wake up in the morning to a dog in the face.. she is a good dog though, the only time she barks is when there is something she dont like.. other than that she is as quiet as a mouse..

JAG5150
01-04-05, 10:59 AM
Cook, me personally I would stay away from the cocker, they are notorious for making messes on the floor when they are excited
and they get that way often. What size of dog do you want and what do you want it for?

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 11:03 AM
sounds to me like the wrinkled dog probably has some shar pei in it. Those dogs are bad as well because the wrinkles can cause them to go blind at an early age. No boxers are good dogs, sounds like you want a bigger dog as well.. hmm let me think here..

JAG5150
01-04-05, 11:05 AM
Sorry, did not read the first page, what you want is an Akita. This dog was bred to hunt bears and is unconditionally loyal to it's master. And to make matters better they are head strong but perfect for a Marine to own and master

nc.gal
01-04-05, 11:23 AM
I hear these dogs make great pets. Cocker Spaniels can be very troublesome. Once, I had to take care of my neighbors cocker----one day I was putting him on his running chain and he jumped from my hand, I started chasing him and grabbed him with my hands and he slipped right thru---Well, I took a bad fall and ended up with a hairline separation of my shoulder and with a chipped bone in a finger. Had to wear a sling for about 2 weeks and had surgery on my finger. I'll never have a cocker spaniel. Howabout a nice little poodle?

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 11:27 AM
now poodles are foo foo dogs.. LOL.. i use to have a thing about the breeds of dogs I will have to try to find it once again.. It was a speech that was given by someone in the navy called why I like Marines. And it went into classifying each branch into breeds of dogs..

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 11:30 AM
here it is.. Thought yall would get a kick out of it.

The first reason I like Marines:

They set high standards for themselves

and those around them,

and will accept nothing less.

I like the way Marines march.

I like the way Marines do their basic training

whether it's Quantico, Parris Island, or San Diego.

I like the idea that Marines cultivate an ethos conductive of

producing hard people in a soft age.

I like the fact that Marines stay in shape.

I like the fact that the Marines only have one boss;

the Commandant. And I like the directness of the Commandant.

I like the fact that Marines are stubborn.

I like the way Marines obey orders.

I like the way Marines make the most of the press.

I like the wholehearted professionalism of the Marines.

It occurred to me that the services could be

characterized by different breeds of dogs.

The Air Force reminded me of a French Poodle.

The poodle always looks perfect... sometimes a bit

pampered and always travels first class. But don't

ever forget that the poodle was bred as a hunting dog

and in a fight it's very dangerous.

The Army is kind of like a St. Bernard. It's big and

heavy and sometimes seems a bit clumsy. But it's very

powerful and has lots of stamina. So you want it for

the long haul.

The Navy, God bless us, is a Golden Retriever. They're

good natured and great around the house. The kids love 'em.

Sometimes their hair is a bit long.... they go wandering off

for long periods of time, and they love water.

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans,

because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean

or skinny and mean.

They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense.

They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.

That sounds like a Marine to me!

So what I really like about Marines is that first to fight

isn't just a motto, it's a way of life. From the day they

were formed at Tun Tavern 221 years ago, Marines have

distinguished themselves on battlefields around the world.

From the fighting tops of the Bonhomme Richard, to the sands

of Barbary coast, from the swamps of New Orleans to the halls

of Montezuma, from Belleau Wood, to the Argone Forest, to

Guadalcanal, and Iwo Jima, and Okinawa and Inchon, and Chosin

Reservoir and Hue City and Quang Tri and Dong Ha, and Beirut,

and Grenada, and Panama, and Somalia and Bosnia and a thousand

unnamed battlefields in godforsaken corners of the globe.

Marines have distinguished themselves by their bravery, and

stubbornness and aggressive spirit, and sacrifice, and love of

country, and loyalty to one another.

They've done it for you and me, and this country we all love so

dearly. They asked for nothing more than the honor of being a

United States Marine.

That's why I like Marines.

I Like Marines
A speech made in Newport, RI
by Rear Admiral J. Stark, USN
President of the Naval War College

nc.gal
01-04-05, 11:30 AM
PS:

I heard that while in 'Nam, some men had pet monkeys.

Have you given this any thought?

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 11:31 AM
come on now NC.. we are talking about Cook!!!!!

JAG5150
01-04-05, 11:45 AM
From what I understand 1 monkey per household is enough.

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 11:48 AM
what about a black lab or a golden retriever.. both of those are good and loyal dogs as well. My sister has a carmal lab or whatever they are called and he is a very good dog but he knows what his job is to do..

Toby M
01-04-05, 12:21 PM
My first preference would be a German Shepherd but I think a Lab would ccome in close as well.

Jag5150, that was good!!! I don't see SparrowHawk around anywhere. Do you suppose he is out at the pound right now, getting the wrinkled mutt? LOL

Sparrowhawk
01-04-05, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by nc.gal
PS:

I heard that while in 'Nam, some men had pet monkeys.

Have you given this any thought?

No pet monkeys in Nam, but we did eat some...

hey, when you're the guest at Mamasans!

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 01:01 PM
sparrow is back and didnt say he got a wrinkle puppy.. so things might be safe yet.

Sparrowhawk
01-04-05, 06:17 PM
Help me pick one...

VOTE, for the one I should take home.

I get to take her home tomorrow.

All are female, wouldn't you know.

http://marines.bizland.com/DogGone.jpg

garryh123
01-04-05, 06:24 PM

nc.gal
01-04-05, 06:25 PM
number 4

good name 4 her is: Lady

JAG5150
01-04-05, 06:27 PM
#2 deffinately

JAG5150
01-04-05, 06:28 PM
#2 is a young blood hound, very good dog.

airframesguru
01-04-05, 07:41 PM
#2 looks easy enough to watch
#4 is kill'n me with those eyes

go for 4

Osotogary
01-04-05, 07:54 PM
The one that is in the Tijuana Jail. #4

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 08:10 PM
number 4 definately.. cant resist those eyes.. those can make a Marine melt..

femalemarine_89
01-04-05, 10:20 PM
well now i am wondering what one he is gonna get.. LOL.. the one in the tree was cute too but might be hard.. LOL

yellowwing
01-05-05, 06:32 AM
2 or 4.

If you feel up to training a dog, go with 2. But he might be more prone to diggin' up your nice landscaping at first.

4 might have some bad habits that need to be corrected. But he looks docile enough to please you.

DSchmitke
01-05-05, 07:11 AM
Number 4

OLE SARG
01-05-05, 09:22 AM
Sparrowhawk,

Monkey tastes just like chicken, or I thought so anyway. My oldest daugher, Christie, has a Great Dane and his name is Samson. You talk about a sweety. He tries to be a 175 pound lap dog and he gets it done sometimes. Great Danes are neat dogs if you like the LARGE BREED.

SEMPER FI!!!!!!!!!!!!

OLE SARG