View Full Version : Deserter Has Canada Split

marinemom
12-23-04, 09:08 AM
Deserter Has Canada Split <br />
By Levon Sevunts <br />
THE WASHINGTON TIMES <br />
<br />
<br />
MONTREAL — A U.S. paratrooper's application for asylum has set Canada's editorial pages, airwaves and Internet discussion...

HardJedi
12-23-04, 09:10 AM
should send that punk home, and he should get at LEAST life in prison. I have said it before, and i'll say it again.

the lowest levels of hell are reserved for traitors, oath breakers, and those who leave thier fellows when the times are hard.

what a scum bag

Jarhed
12-23-04, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by HardJedi
should send that punk home, and he should get at LEAST life in prison. I have said it before, and i'll say it again.

the lowest levels of hell are reserved for traitors, oath breakers, and those who leave thier fellows when the times are hard.

what a scum bag

EggSACTLY!!!!

Hey, he signed the damn contract! He knew DAMN well what he was getting himself into! Not to mention that he was a PARATROOPER, which he HAD to volunteer for! We dont have a draft in this country and nobody will force you to jump out of planes into a combat area! He has a LEGAL BINDING CONTRACT that must be fulfilled OR he needs to rot in jail!

caryverell
12-23-04, 09:27 AM
Desertion is desertion. It is conered in the Uniform Code of Military Justice. What all tend to forget is that while actively serving in the U.S. Military you give up your constitutional rights and agree to the governance, or subjection to, the UCMJ. Nothing more, and nothing less, is truly appropriate. The deserters can turn themselves in, or be picked up. At that point in time they will held accountable for their CRIME. Unfortunately for them, dishonour remains for life. The disdain of the fraternity of warriors for those that turn to cowardice is likewise ADAMANT!

airframesguru
12-23-04, 09:38 AM
Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto!!!!

Ed Palmer
12-23-04, 10:00 AM
Well my opinion is they should keep hin there and give him citizenship
and then draft his ass in to their army and send his sweet young ass to Irag and then he can desert to some other country over there, All they have to do is make sure he gets there

Toby M
12-23-04, 10:02 AM
I say let him stay in Canada with one condition-that he nor his family be allowed to return to this country again! EVER!!! He will lose all rights and priveleges automatically and forfeit land, property and any entitlement due him or his family. He cannot visit for any reason; be it medical, personal or business...as far as I am concerned, he gave up these rights when he made the decision to desert.

yellowwing
12-23-04, 10:35 AM
Sheet - I lost pay and got restriction for being two days late from weekend liberty. I knew a brig guard that refused NJP and requested Courts Martial bacause he knew "They wouldn't send me to the brig, I work there!" (They did send him to the brig! LOL)

Why should these deserters be special?

In a semi-related case, a US woman accused of murder in Florida was finally sent back when she fled to Canada.

Jarhed
12-23-04, 10:46 AM
yellowwing, umm.... Not to pry or anything, and no offense intended but.... How did you manage to be TWO DAYS late from liberty? You mean you showed up on Tuesday?

DSchmitke
12-23-04, 11:36 AM
Send him BACK to do his time in the BRIG... With hard bread and water

yellowwing
12-23-04, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Jarhed
yellowwing, umm.... Not to pry or anything, and no offense intended but.... How did you manage to be TWO DAYS late from liberty? You mean you showed up on Tuesday?
I was headed back to MCLB Albany, when my transmission stripped. I gave a call to the Company office 0830 Monday morning.

I did not get back until late Tuesday, missing another day's work. At first I took the NJP personally, "They just don't understand!" I cried.

Then I learned about unit discipline. It wasn't about me.

The barrack's grounds never looked so clean or squared away while I was on restriction and extra duty! I kept finishing tasks and doing a 100% effort, so the Company Gunny just added more tasks. :(

After I had served my duty, the Company Gunny thought I still had too much time on my hands. So I was assigned to the Base Color Guard Detail.

Now that was really fun, and it kept me near the base on the weekends. :banana:

To keep unit disciline these deserter need to be sent back.

gwladgarwr
12-23-04, 01:18 PM
It is incorrect to say that you give up your Constitutional rights when you sign the contract; that is wrong on all counts.

A service member is subject to the UCMJ which is [mostly] supported by the Constitution but is NOT a substitution for Constitutional rights. It is LAW, but not the ULTIMATE law, even if you serve in the military. However, some choose to hide behind their Constitutional protections only when it serves their own selfish motives or when the UCMJ becomes "incovenient".

In any case, those two deserters deserve no special consideration; they deserted - plain and simple, regardless of a war going on. Desertion during a war or conflict can bring death if convicted, and it should be that way.

If Canada wants to stay on America's good side, even if she does consider this war "illegal" or "unjustified", she may want to decide to send these two cowards back to the States for the common criminals they are, with or without a Constitution or UCMJ.

The one with dual citizenship should have his U.S. citizenship revoked; he has the backing of the country of his other loyalty - let him live off of that country's generosity. Heck, I myself qualify for Canadian citizenship if I want it (I don't), and I know of several Canadians with whom I proudly serve as United States Marines, but they would never desert (and hide behind their Canadian citizenship.) A simple loss of citizenship is in order, in my opinion, then lengthy jail time, and eventual deportation to whatever country wants to take them.

Their wives and children can be allowed to return, if they want (unless the UCMJ covers the spouses and children in cases of aiding and abetting a deserter; the UCMJ can apply to civilians in certain cases such as contractors working directly with or for the U.S. military, Red Cross workers aiding U.S. military forces directly, and "human shields", like Sean Penn in Baghdad before the war, or Jane Fonda in Hanoi. (The question to that one is - will the communist Vietnamese let her go back there to visit, or is she too much of an embarassment?)

hrscowboy
12-23-04, 02:55 PM
I have yet to understand why Jane Fonda with all the crap she pulled was not deported and left without a country. She should have been stripped of her american citizenship as far as i am concerned..

Jarhed
12-23-04, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing

I was headed back to MCLB Albany, when my transmission stripped. I gave a call to the Company office 0830 Monday morning.

I did not get back until late Tuesday, missing another day's work. At first I took the NJP personally, "They just don't understand!" I cried.

Then I learned about unit discipline. It wasn't about me.

The barrack's grounds never looked so clean or squared away while I was on restriction and extra duty! I kept finishing tasks and doing a 100% effort, so the Company Gunny just added more tasks. :(

After I had served my duty, the Company Gunny thought I still had too much time on my hands. So I was assigned to the Base Color Guard Detail.

Now that was really fun, and it kept me near the base on the weekends. :banana:

To keep unit disciline these deserter need to be sent back.

I see. That makes sense. I've seen that happen a few times. Thats why I was always too afraid to leave town on weekends, Murphy (of Murphy's law fame) had it in for me already.

Sgt. Smitty
12-30-04, 10:59 AM
A deserter is a deserter......period ! ! As far as I'm concerned he and his family can stay in Canada cause they gave up all their rights as Americans when they crossed the border. Leave the sorry S O B up there and let him try to make a life outside the U S. He just gave up all his rights to social security, unemployment, medical and dental and schooling etc. etc....... it should be a law that anyone that deserts is automatically stripped of their citizenship as Americans and refused re-entry into this country for any reason what so ever. A deserter is nothin but a yellow-bellied chicken **** anyway, so why take him back just to put him in the big house and feed, clothe and house the *******?

Namvet67
12-30-04, 11:07 AM
I agree with Smitty....He joined the army for a reason (would like to know what that was). I sure it was not to go fight in a war for his country. Peacetime/wartime soldiers.....what a joke.

DSchmitke
12-30-04, 11:21 AM
Ditto and post his picture at the border. No ENTRY ALLOWED print ed on the top of picture.

USMC-FO
12-30-04, 11:47 AM
Pretty simple to me: A deserter, have him(them) brought back and tried as the law provides. If found guilty--hard to imagine he will not be--them shipped off to serve his sentence. It would be nice then to strip him of his citizenship and sent back to Canada if they choose to have him.

hrscowboy
12-30-04, 01:53 PM
Well for my money we need all deserters shot like it happened in WW2. If we started doing that again alot of these deserters would think twice about deserting. This country has got too Lax with enforcing the laws of the land, in my book.

Sgt. Smitty
12-31-04, 11:55 AM
i agree with ya cowboy........there is no difference between peace-time and war-time Army. The military is the military....period. I got no sympathy for someone that joins the military, no matter what branch, and for whatever reason, and then decides to desert. Canada can have all of them and they can take all the ragheads in this country with them. NUFF SAID!!!!