PDA

View Full Version : Thanks...

TRLewis
12-20-04, 03:02 PM
I just got done reading a post, and while I'm constantly looking forward, it made me look back and remember somethings that had slipped my mind. And it really reminded me about events in my life that has shaped me to the person I am.

I would like to thank the Marine Corps in general for all they have done for me. They took a 17 year old kid and said "We will make you a fighting machine. Thats what happens when your recruiter is a Gunny from Force Recon wearing blues.

Before that I shaved every 3 months. I had no idea what I was going to do in my life. I had been working part time jobs all thru high school, never really liking any of them but I always did a good job no matter how much I hated it.

I am very amazed at how different I am between the person I was and the person I am now. Before I was a wild man, hell I was not even a man yet. I was 119 pounds when I went to boot camp, 2 pounds above the minimum. But I could fight, not that I liked to. But when it came down to it I wasnt going to be pushed around.

In three months 2 DI's and an SDI changed my life completely. I stood taller, I ran faster than before, and I had the greatest weapon of all courage. I was not afraid to speak up for myself anymore, and I could do it tactfully.

The Marine Corps produces and molds men and women at a rate that baffles my mind. I don't know how they did it, and I don't think anyone does. I sure there are theories but nothing that can be explained.

I was given the tools and knowledge needed to become a fine citizen, and Marine. I had a new found respect for America, for our flag, and most of all for myself. They say not everyone can be a Marine, I don't think thats true. I know everyone could be, if they wanted to, if they wanted it that bad. Those who do not want our beloved symbol will perish in the sands and be forgotten as quickly as a grain of salt.

People today can still tell that I am a Marine in my heart. And I do everything as if I am doing it for the Corps and someone higher in my chain of command is going to inspect it. I was in a pizza place ordering a pizza, and I hadn't cut my hair in weeks. But the girl behind the counter asked me, "Are you a Marine?" I told her I was and she said she could tell by looking at me.

Brotherhood, something all Marines know. How many times have you hugged a man you just met all because he was a Marine like you? This is mainly aimed at Veterans, I do not expect to see active duty Marines holding hands, hugging, and taking warm long showers together. I am quite proud to be in that brotherhood. There aren't many perks, no membership dues, but its something you will always have.

I owe many things to my Drill Instructors, I believe everyone has faced a hardship where they think back to boot camp and remember their DI's voice and get thru any hard ship. Word reached me that one of my DI's got into some trouble with recruits, but that still doesn't change my opinion of him. I often wonder if DI's ever stop and think about how they will be remembered as idols, gods, and the greatest Marines to the recruits they train.

Inclosing, thank you Marine Corps for teaching me to push myself, to instill confidence in myself, to learn and do more than what is required of me, to be physically fit at all times, and to never ever quit.

jinelson
12-20-04, 03:13 PM
Well said TRLewis very well said indeed

TRLewis
12-20-04, 03:26 PM
Semper Fi brother, Semper Fi.

Sgtj
12-20-04, 04:00 PM
I agree TRLewis, well said. If I didn't haden't of known I would have thought you were telling my story.

I look forward to checking in on the website to read posts like yours. Good to go, you motivated me today.

Semper Fi.

rockhopper
12-20-04, 04:12 PM
Well said TRLewis. :marine:

Cole11
12-20-04, 04:37 PM
one motivated OORAH for our Corps OOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

vfm
12-20-04, 05:15 PM
Outstanding post TRLewis.
SEMPER FI!!!
vfm

Sparrowhawk
12-20-04, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by TRLewis
Marines holding hands, hugging, and taking warm long showers together.

WHAT, no way!

No way, not in my Marine Corps... no way...

Why, when I was in, that would never happen

NO way, it's unheard of.

taking warm long showers together, not possible

why when I was in all we had was

cold showers....

LMAO

Good one... Lewis

femalemarine_89
12-21-04, 09:54 PM
ROFLMAO @ Cook