PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in?

Jarhed
12-20-04, 09:29 AM
So,

Have any of you Marines out there managed to get back in? I'm trying to get into a Reserve unit here in Southern Mexifornia (was told that was my only option nowadays, nobody can get back on Active Duty) which is fine. I've been out way too long (ended IRR in 1990) and want to at least be available.

Apparently, the Marine Corps isnt having the same problems as the Army with recruitment. Plenty of motivated young men doing everything they can to get to Parris Island or San Diego to earn their titles. This of course, makes my efforts difficult. After talking to a prior service recruiter, I requested my fitness reports and service records so he could setup interviews with Reserve I&I staff. Supposedly, it will take about 4-6 months for my records to get to me.

Anyone have any other advice?

Sparrowhawk
12-20-04, 09:38 AM
Try to get into your old uniforms.

Might have to work from that end first...

You might not be able to do all that Raping, Killing ,Pillaging and Burning you once did...

LMAO

TRLewis
12-20-04, 10:59 AM
4-6 months? No it wont, 2-3 weeks is more like it. I talked to a gunny about getting back in he said no problem just had to wait for the open period.

Jarhed
12-20-04, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
Try to get into your old uniforms.

Might have to work from that end first...

You might not be able to do all that Raping, Killing ,Pillaging and Burning you once did...

LMAO

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I know full well I wont get back into my original uniforms, but I have no prob buying more. I'm in pretty decent shape still, but I'm heavier than the guidelines require. I competed in bodybuilding for a few years and I'm still above 200 lbs at 5'7". Not a whole lot of fat, just a little too much muscle (which I was warned about before I got out). Started running again and I dont think I'll have a problem passing a PFT.

Oh, and trust me, I can still rape, kill, pillage and burn, given the appropriate weapons! :evilgrin:

Jarhed
12-20-04, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by TRLewis
4-6 months? No it wont, 2-3 weeks is more like it. I talked to a gunny about getting back in he said no problem just had to wait for the open period.

2-3 weeks? How did you manage that? Thing is, my records are completely out of the system. If you know any way to get them faster, PLEASE let me know. I filled out a form that a Prior Service recruiter sent me and faxed it to HQMC. I also snail mailed it.

RELEEJR0331
12-20-04, 01:12 PM
I have recently joined a reserve unit in Indianapolis, IN, and am supposed to get orders to go on REC Aid for 6 months before going to recruiters school.
SEMPER FI
Cpl Lee

hrscowboy
12-20-04, 01:25 PM
sparrowhawk you need to reenlist also and if you get back in i will come join ya.. we need to old sarge in this also.. screw the age limit..

TRLewis
12-20-04, 01:27 PM
Hey HQMC moves quick, even if they are civilians they adapt and overcome. I guess too many Marines calling they are taking too long. But yeah I got a DD-214 in week and half, then a corrected 215 in 2 weeks, and got all my records on CD in 2 and a half weeks. As long as you faxed it you're good to go brother, they move fast and always answer their phones. :)

Jarhed
12-20-04, 01:36 PM
Hey HQMC moves quick, even if they are civilians they adapt and overcome. I guess too many Marines calling they are taking too long. But yeah I got a DD-214 in week and half, then a corrected 215 in 2 weeks, and got all my records on CD in 2 and a half weeks. As long as you faxed it you're good to go brother, they move fast and always answer their phones. :)

:eek: :eek:

TWO AND A HALF WEEKS??????????????????

I sent my fax about a month ago! I also followed up with snail mail. Maybe I should send again?

BTW, how long were you out? It's probably taking longer for me because I've been out of the system for some time. I got done with 2 year IRR in 1990.

TRLewis
12-20-04, 01:44 PM
I would give them a call, its almost 3 pm on the east coast and they leave around 4pm. And number of years out shouldnt matter, its all on microfishe.

rockhopper
12-20-04, 01:51 PM
It can take from a few weeks to months to get records.

I got out in 1996. I sent for copies of my DD214, and recieved them in about 2 weeks.

I also sent for some LES's covering dates in 1991. I think I initially made the request in July. I received my requested copies just this past week.

EDIT: Here is the link to the government site where I have ordered my records.

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/vetrecs/

Toby M
12-20-04, 03:11 PM
On a related note, I saw in the paper the story of a 53 yr. old Colonel who had just been asked to come back into the Corps and is heading for Iraq as soon as his training is over. No complaints, no problems (even after having served 30 some years) and he (unlike those OTHER guys), didn't go to court to keep from going back in. He saw it as his duty and is going with a smile! To all you Marines wanting to re-inlist, I no longer drink but I will tip a glass for you in your honor. My heart goes with you guys...unfortunately the years have taken their toll on this old body of mine so I remain...Best of luck!

TRLewis
12-20-04, 03:23 PM
I hate those pieces of **** that try to weasel their way out of going. I knew one who kept trying to find a reason to keep from going. And the bastard got over there and his obligation to guard is up, and he got a contract over there making 250k a year. If i was a jerk I guess i would get a ton of money too.

Jarhed
12-20-04, 10:13 PM
I would give them a call, its almost 3 pm on the east coast and they leave around 4pm. And number of years out shouldnt matter, its all on microfishe.

I will definitely call them. You wouldnt happen to have a number, would you? The address I got from the recruiter didnt list a phone, only a fax.

Rockhopper, the form you referred to is not what I got from the recruiter, but I'm going to send yours instead. I got a form called "PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT SUPPORT BRANCH - Records Request Form"

I checked off the boxes requesting the Master Brief Sheet (MBS) for fitness reports, and the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).

Sent them to Commandant of the Marine Corps (MMSB-10)
HQMC
2008 Elliot Road
Quantico, VA 22134
Fax: 703-784-5792

Maybe my mistake is waiting for the records from HQMC?

rockhopper
12-21-04, 10:53 AM
That long after serving, I don't think HQMC can do anything for you at all. I don't believe that any records at all are retained there that long. The NPRC (National Personnel Records Center) that I referenced above are probably the only place to get them. They can get anything from your service records. If they can't get something, they will forward your request to the appropriate agency.

In my above example concerning my pay records, I filled out the Form 180 to get my LES's from 1991, and sent that to NPRC. They sent me a letter saying that they did not deal with pay records, but they forwarded the request to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service. DFAS then sent the LES copies to me.

Good luck, hopefully they can help you out soon.

Jarhed
12-22-04, 12:36 PM
Faxed the Form 180 to St. Louis. Going to follow up with a snail mail.

Was over at the Grit board and have seen several stories of Marines who went back into the USMCR after years of being out. Specifically, one SSgt who served from 1974 to 1977 who is now back in uniform in a support role.

This motivates me even more!!

USMC01
12-22-04, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know ow a retired MARINE can get back in. If so please let me know.

TRLewis
12-22-04, 02:38 PM
www.marines.com click on prior service, contact a prior service recruiter. if you want active duty they will probably refer you to a normal recruiter.

Jarhed
12-22-04, 02:47 PM
Checked with a Sgt Lee in Encino CA who I've been working with to get my crazy a** back in. He said when I do get my records, my choices for a Reserve Unit would be:

Fox 2/23 Seal Beach Infantry
"Weapons" 2/23 Port Hueneme

Or possibly Artillery because Arty is looking for former grunts.

Anyone with Weapons experience? Arty experience? Gimme some input on these? I'm an 0311.

USMC01
12-23-04, 09:21 AM
Thanks Devil Dogs.

Semper Fi

TracGunny
12-26-04, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by USMC01
Does anyone know ow a retired MARINE can get back in. If so please let me know. Check out this thread for more info:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10881

Eaglestrikes
12-26-04, 09:13 PM
I support everyone that wants to go do it again.
I have Artillery Experience and Trac experience as well as 5811 and 6055.
Since I am a DODAC, wirking at Anniston Army Depot, I believe I am still serving my Country.
We work on all the Tracked Equip for all the services. I have been over there twice now doing Upgrades and Resets.
{asisde, the little snot from the ARNG that put that question to Rumsfield was a liar.}
I saw 56, to 66 serving in National Guard or Reserve units.
Some were Viet Vets and we taked of common experience.
Go for it.

sadibenz
12-26-04, 10:57 PM
I've been out since x-mas eve 89. The prior service recruitors were no help at all and didn't seem to want even be bothered.
The term (The check is in the mail) was the common feeling/response I would get. Records never seemed to show up and paper worker waas never filed on time.
I sincerly hope that things go better for you.
sadibenz@cox.net

Jarhed
12-26-04, 11:07 PM
Sadibenz,

When was it that you tried to get back in?

sadibenz
12-26-04, 11:36 PM
I had benn trying from Feb 90 until about Nov 90. I ended up getting pretty discouraged about th ewhole thing.
But, I tell you right now. If I could ge back in the Corp. Even, as a reservist I would do it.
So, if you happen to get a hook in there. Have them contact me.
You/they can e-mail via: sadibenz@cox.net

sadibenz
12-26-04, 11:39 PM
Im in San Diego, Ca.
US Customs and Border Protection Officer for the last 13 years. Im still serving my country leeping drugs and bad guys out as best I can. But, it's no where near the same.

Jarhed
12-27-04, 01:17 AM
Call either one of these prior service recruiters for Reserve:

PSR CAMP PENDLETON, CA 1MEF COMMAND ELEMENT (1MACE) (888) 427-3798
BOX 555123
CAMP PENDLETON, CA 92055

PSR MIRAMAR, CA P.O. BOX 452133 (866) 805-0898
BLDG 671 RM 238
MIRAMAR, CA 92145-2021

If you want to get back on Active Duty, call a local recruiter and request a PSEP package.

yellowwing
12-27-04, 01:40 AM
Jarhed, this discussion has invaded my dreams a few times. Twice in as many weeks I dreamed about being back in!

This last time, I dreamed that my old Drill Instructors were training me again, but this time not as harsh. But still they were unforgiving b*stards! :D

Semper Fi ~ Train or Die!

Jarhed
12-27-04, 09:52 AM
HAHA!!

yellowwing, I hope thats a good thing! I've been having dreams of Parris Island and being in the field for the past two years. I think it's a sign, dont you?

TRLewis
12-27-04, 12:19 PM

I thought I was the only one. I've been dreaming about being in the fleet. Maybe its the Corps new psyops weapon that creates dreams. Of course two nights before I dreamed about a blonde and redhead who showed me some very interesting things.

Yeah its gotta be that.

sadibenz
12-27-04, 12:31 PM
Thank you for the info.

Jarhed
12-27-04, 02:25 PM
HAHAHA!!!!

You had that dream about the blonde and redhead too??!!! Oh man!!! It HAS to be a weapon! They can use it on me anytime they want though!