PDA

View Full Version : Nam Pong Thiland

jo1753
12-20-04, 12:16 AM
Are there any Marines who served @ Nam Pong Thiland in 71-72..? If so please let me know........semper-fi

garryh123
12-20-04, 01:41 AM
My father did 3 tours in nam...before 71..hope you find those you are looking for

jo1753
12-20-04, 01:47 AM
I only did two.................semper-fi

garryh123
12-20-04, 01:48 AM
2 more than me...Semper fi Brother

jo1753
12-20-04, 01:51 AM
you wouldn't by any chance know how to use the chat would you...?

garryh123
12-20-04, 01:51 AM
just click on the hat tab

garryh123
12-20-04, 01:53 AM
chat tab that is

radio relay
12-20-04, 04:52 AM
Sorry, not an active duty Marine, then. However, after I got out of the Corps, in May of '71, I was living in N.E. Thailand (Sokon Nakon), from July '71, to June '73, working as a contractor supporting communications links for U.S. government operations in S.E. Asia.

I remember the Marine "training" exercise they were conducting. The area they were in was close to Udorn Royal Thai AFB, where a large number of air strikes were launched against North Vietnam during that time period. The Marines were actually assisting the Thai Army in keeping down the Thai Communists (T.C.) guerillas, who were trying hard, with the help of communist advisors from North Vietnam, to establish themselves in the area.

The Marines didn't intentionally engage the commies in Thailand. Their primary mission, was defense of the air base, and freeing up Thai Army units, who were actively engaging the communists in the areas around the Combodian, and Lao boarders.

jo1753
12-20-04, 09:28 AM
The way It was explained to me was........Nam Pong started out as an Army base several years prior to this time I served there.

For some unknown reason the Army pulled out. It was left vacant until WE took it over. Not to far from Nam Pong their was a US. Air Force Base @ and this is where i'm not to good at spelling these cities names.............I'll try anyway.......OU,dorn thiland

Not only that ......lolol but it's been a few years. The memory isn't as sharp as it was........When I was stationed there

Anyway when we first took over the base. It was all grown over once again............The C.B.'s had their work cut out for them.

We had 2 or 3 F4 squads 1 medivac squd and an A6 squad stationed there. at that time. We ran almost as many bombing missions into Nam from there. as we did when we were in country. And the flightline reflected it too. Their were always missiles,bombs,etc,etc, being loaded, Jets fueling taking off and returning....For some time,...it was a pretty busy place
Thanks....John

yellowwing
12-20-04, 10:21 AM
When I was working in construction, one supervisor was an Air Force medic in Viet Nam. He served mostly on SAR helo crews and was shot down twice.

The first time he said it was a only few hundred meters from base, and they ran all the way back to the wire.

The second time they were shot down over Laos. It took them two weeks to hump it back to Thailand. (Scary two weeks I'm betting.)

The funny part is that we had a constuction job in Kentucky, and this Air Force veteran gets us lost somewhere in Ohio!

I said, "Dude, you walked to Thailand! How could you get us lost in Ohio?" :banana:

jinelson
12-20-04, 10:38 AM
Never was in Nam Pong but spent some time in Ubon, Udorn, Kurat, Chang Mai and Bankok in 70-71 hung out at the Club Happy Happy in Bankok. Great story yellowwing.

jo1753
01-08-05, 01:58 PM
Well thanks for all the feedback from everyone.....Perhaps sooner or later I'll come across someone who served there. Semper-Fi