PDA

View Full Version : Marines forgive grieving Dad....

Osotogary
12-19-04, 01:26 PM
...who set fire.
This was in today's Sunday Miami Herald (Broward Edition). The column was written by Darren Simon (dsimon@herald.com)

A father who reacted violently to news of his Marine sonn's death in August and set three Marines' van in fire apologizes to them, ssaying he meant no harm.

Briefly:
The father of a Marine killed in Iraq- who was so distraught that he destroyed the van belonging to three Marines who brought him the bad news last August - apologized Saturday to the servicemen who came to his Hollywood home that day.
And the Marines forgave him.
During a private meeting at a Navy Marine Corps Reserve Center in Hialeah, Carlos Arrendondo and his wife, Melinda met with the three Marines. After the meeting , when they all stepped outside, he saluted and embraced them.
Arrendondo said that Saturday's apology was important for him and the Marines.
"We all got affected by this, he said. I wanted to apologize to all the Marines who got insulted by this. I wanted to apologize to the rest of the country"
Note: Arrendondo sustained second-degree burns to over 20 percent of his body.
There has also been set up a Lance Corporal Alexander S. Arrendondo Scholarship set up by the South Florida fundraising arm of Marine Corps.

hrscowboy
12-19-04, 02:38 PM
Outstanding this warms my heart to see and read this...

CAR
12-19-04, 08:26 PM
Likewise cowboy, Thanks for posting this Gary. I can't imagine the man's grief.

snipowsky
12-20-04, 12:48 AM
That's good he asked for forgiveness. Who is to say one of us wouldn't react the same way though if that was our child who was killed in action? I'm sure I wouldn't take news like that very lightly.

Sgt. Smitty
01-05-05, 11:45 PM
I'd probably react the way he did if i was ever told that one of my sons got killed, especially by some damned raghead. I really don't think i'd be able to contain myself. My heart felt sympathies go out to his family and friends and a majorly large oooooorrrraaaahhh to him for apologizing and to the MARINES that accepted his apology. Semper Fi

Namvet67
01-06-05, 08:59 AM
Ditto Smitty...good post Gary. Mighty proud of the way the Marines handled this. gbudd

DSchmitke
01-06-05, 09:07 AM
Nice post Gary Thanks

jinelson
01-06-05, 09:33 AM
Great post Gary, this is a wonderful end to a horrible story. I remember when I first read the story wondering, what those Marines thought and how they did they react, and how worse that already bad situation could get.

Jim

Sgt. Smitty
01-06-05, 09:46 AM
And who the hell said Marines have no class?

Namvet67
01-06-05, 09:51 AM
Cpl Hassoun and smokin878 I assume.

femalemarine_89
01-06-05, 10:24 AM
That was an awsome post.. Thanks for sharing it. You know to be honest I dont even know how I would react to something like that. We all react to certain situations different than others, you just never know until it is you.

JAG5150
01-06-05, 10:52 AM
I would probably react similarly except my rage would probably be more focused on the poeple who sent him over and not on the Marines who had to break the news. Good post.

B A Hall
01-06-05, 11:14 AM
Thanks Gary hope none of us have to go thru this.I remember when this happened my thoughts were that poor mother.Glad things turned out better,Semper Fi

B A Hall
01-06-05, 11:29 AM
Gary give me a call sometime my son is the one in 2/8 my friends call me AL 800-950-3274.

femalemarine_89
01-06-05, 11:32 AM
I hope I never have to experience anything like this. No matter if its family or friends. We have a friend here in washington that is being pulled from his MOS to train for security and being shipped over to Iraq. Does that scare us.. Yes it does. I hate to say it but I dont believe that the security training that the Navy gives is adequit.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/coplove/Cops/trprcar.gif