PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cammies

Cole11
12-18-04, 12:05 PM
Throught the posts I hear alot about old cammies vs. new cammies, and i gotta say, i personally like the Digis ALOT better. As Marines we now have a distinctive pattern. When you look in the paper and you see a serviceman or woman in Iraq, you can immediatley if they are a Devil Dog or not. Also even though we dont starch the new Digis, I think they look about 100xs sharper. On the old cammies The Emblem is stamped on, with the Digis its embroidered, same on the cover. I think that our new digis., are far better camo as well. The new coyote brown boots we have I think go alot better with the cammies than the black spit shine boots. As I said before Marines, we now have a uniform that distinguishes us in appearance, our reputation and performance do that rest, OORAH.

Sgtj
12-18-04, 12:19 PM
When you stick out you end up getting picked out. When you get picked out its usually between cross hairs.

TRLewis
12-18-04, 02:12 PM
Try to look unimportant, the enemy may be low on ammo.

yellowwing
12-18-04, 02:49 PM
I dunno about the new uniforms. Yes when I see them on the news reports, the digitized camouflage blends in very well. Much better that what we had earlier.

But just the idea of not having to spit shine 'yer boots makes me think we have lost a bit of tradition.

cajunguy
12-18-04, 04:08 PM
Hey get this, gang. Got this info from another forum.

The U.S. Army is going to their own version of the digital cammies.

Check out these links for more info:

http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=6042

http://www.camo-store.com/army_combat_uniform_acu.htm

Then I guess they'll brag that they had the idea first.

Oh well, WE know better.

Underleft
12-18-04, 04:36 PM
Wow. I gotta say those army cammies look pretty stupid. They look like they are from bad futuristic sci fi movie. Honestly, doesn't it seem like they are trying to hard. Look at the pocket on the bottom of the pants. What the hell are you going to use those for. I don't even use the Pocket's that we have one our shoulders.

jinelson
12-18-04, 04:41 PM
I like the the new look. When I was in boot camp they actually issued me one set of the old herring bone style utilities along with the new green utilities. When I went to Nam the first time they issued us the new cammies on Okinawa but as usual supply was messed up and I got issued cammie trousers and army green jungle blouse's. So I stood out well in the Nam. LOL I will say that nothing looked better that the green utilities starched like a board and a good starched cover and spit shined boots. The new boots dont look bad either and they look more comfortable.

hrscowboy
12-18-04, 06:07 PM
jinelson thats where i got my cammies also was on okinawa and also that damn gama goblin shot damn i hated that one...

bdfairchild
12-18-04, 08:23 PM
After reading the article about the new Army Combat uniform, I have to ask this question. Notice that the soldier being interviewed makes a big deal about the color black being removed from the color scheme because "Black is a color not normally found in nature". Then in all of the pictures in the article, as well as all of the video that come in from the area of responsibility, all of the Army guys have their uniforms full of bright colored flag and unit patches. Are they intentionally trying to give the enemy snipers an easy point to aim in on, or what.

RLeon
12-18-04, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by cajunguy
Hey get this, gang. Got this info from another forum.

The U.S. Army is going to their own version of the digital cammies.

Check out these links for more info:

http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=6042

http://www.camo-store.com/army_combat_uniform_acu.htm

Then I guess they'll brag that they had the idea first.

Oh well, WE know better.

You beat me too it...Actually the Canadians had it first, but it was still pretty unique...untill the Army got wind of it. They are pretty much copying the whole uniform change. Thier version is ugly because they can't use the Marpat pattern. At least we still have the "Real Man's Cover" instead of that silly beret. :marine:

yellowwing
12-18-04, 09:26 PM
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/ACU2004-06-14.jpg

You got to be kidding me! This has Soviet Naval Infantry written all over it! All that's missing is the Hammer and Sickle.

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/ACU2004-06-14b.jpg

garryh123
12-18-04, 10:14 PM
ROFLMAO Yellowing! That was my 1st Thought! LMAO

CAR
12-19-04, 01:23 AM
OK What's with all the Velcro? Sure some velcro is ok but on the rank insignia / is rank lost and gained that quickly in the Army that this is a problem only velcro will cure? Gotta go with Underleft- looks like a "B" movie -- attack of the weenies or something.

yellowwing
12-19-04, 02:15 AM
Attack of the Soviet Naval Weenies!

TRLewis
12-19-04, 06:53 AM
Good god, I knew there was a trade off, the army recruiter told me no more green dress uniforms, which is awesome. And now they have this?! That is a piece of ****, I'm gonna find some old soviet patches, velcro them on, and wear them in places like bosina, and afghan. please bury me with honors in the motherland :)

jinelson
12-19-04, 12:02 PM
Oh yellowwing that was funny you got me doubled over bro. Didnt Mr. Spock on star trek wear something similar? Simply hidious.

yellowwing
12-19-04, 12:18 PM
Being a Reagan Cold Warrior, I have downloaded the old soviet national athem, just to remind me we finally beat those Mo'fos.

But I have never researched if the Soviet Naval Infantry had any slogans or mottos.

Surely they have a version of Semper Fidelis. They were an admirable foe, worthy of our respect after we killed them!

It would have taken more then one MEU to over-run the Murmansk peninsula. But we would have accomplished it.

jinelson
12-19-04, 12:22 PM
"It would have taken more then one MEU to over-run the Murmansk peninsula. But we would have accomplished it."

I believe that too and they were a very worthy opponent but we would have prevailed.

Jarhed
12-20-04, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by yellowwing

But just the idea of not having to spit shine 'yer boots makes me think we have lost a bit of tradition.

I like the new cammies, but I have to agree with this statement. I certainly like the sharp look of a very well shined pair of boots. Course, give the order and Marines will figure out how to put a shine on those new boots as well! :D

Jarhed
12-20-04, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by TRLewis
Good god, I knew there was a trade off, the army recruiter told me no more green dress uniforms, which is awesome. And now they have this?! That is a piece of ****, I'm gonna find some old soviet patches, velcro them on, and wear them in places like bosina, and afghan. please bury me with honors in the motherland :)

ROFL!!!

So, they have no more dress greens? What do they wear then? I have a brother in the Army now. Re-upped a few years ago after being out for about 10 years. He's in Afghanistan now building schools. Just reupped again to finish out his 20 years. My dad was in from 56-76, retired a Colonel. He has to be laughing his ass off at the new Army. And he actually EARNED his Beret (Ranger, Green Beret, Airborne), now the rank and file Army slimeball gets to wear it? Geez!

Fox 2/23
12-20-04, 11:57 AM
I think the Cannucks have gone digital as well. When I was in I would always goof up the iron on EGA and USMC. I would then have to fill in the missing parts with a black laundry pen. The embroidered symbols would have helped me out a lot!

Osotogary
12-20-04, 12:01 PM
Back to Russia...
I once saw a Spetnaz (?) training video. I do not believe that any one person shown in that video was under 30 years of age. They were impressive. No flash, just effective. No Gi's, no rank belts, just, if you wish to call them, fatiques or utilities. I might say that the whole training routine looked staged but ,never the less ,everything looked applicable. They kind of reminded me of some of the books that I had read and the corresponding pictures that I had seen about Col. Rex Applegate and the training program he helped foster and nurture for the OSS and William (Wild Bill) Donovan.

TRLewis
12-20-04, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Jarhed

ROFL!!!

So, they have no more dress greens? What do they wear then? I have a brother in the Army now. Re-upped a few years ago after being out for about 10 years. He's in Afghanistan now building schools. Just reupped again to finish out his 20 years. My dad was in from 56-76, retired a Colonel. He has to be laughing his ass off at the new Army. And he actually EARNED his Beret (Ranger, Green Beret, Airborne), now the rank and file Army slimeball gets to wear it? Geez!

they are "phasing" them out, which god knows when that will be. going to the dress blue uniform for any occassion that calls for it, kinda like their cammies wear as you please. i might be going to the evil side, but there are somethings i still refuse to do. thank you DI's.

Jarhed
12-20-04, 01:38 PM
Oh man. The Army never ceases to amaze me. Dress Blues and cammies? That is just sad.

I could go to the Army right now as an OCIFER but refuse to, even though that would extend my dad's life about 20 years. I honestly would rather be a Marine enlisted man than an Army officer.

ryantcurrie
12-20-04, 02:31 PM
Check out this link from the "Pointer View" its the West Point (where I work as a civilain) paper.

http://www.usma.edu/publicaffairs/PV/041105/uniform.htm

The soldiers here actullay want to look like Marines. I remind them though that they still have to wear the Gay A$# Beret and that there is much more to being a Marine than the uniform.

yellowwing
12-20-04, 02:45 PM
http://www.usma.edu/publicaffairs/PV/041105/uniform.jpg

“I get mistaken for a Marine all the time,” said USMA Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Bergman, one of those who actually posses the new ACU. “That’s OK though. The main thing is to get it out so it can be seen.”

1. With all due repsect SgtMaj, a genuine United States Marine would never mistake you for a fellow Marine.

2. Isn't it the point of camouflage to NOT be seen?
:banana:

SSgtOfMarines
12-20-04, 09:25 PM
regarding spit shined boots:

It seems none of us are stateside long enough to actually worry about looking sharp in garrison.

cjdoyle
12-20-04, 10:01 PM
True but these new Digital Cammies do look d@mn good with a good set of spit shinned jungle boots.
I wont start on them thing.

TRLewis
12-21-04, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by yellowwing
http://www.usma.edu/publicaffairs/PV/041105/uniform.jpg

Must wear flak jacket all the time to cover ugly uniform.

Phantom Blooper
12-21-04, 03:49 AM
Must also loose some of that FAT A** to look good in uniform! Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall:marine: