PDA

View Full Version : My ROKMC neighbor part 3

yellowwing
12-18-04, 11:49 AM
So a few week ago out apartment building fire alarm goes off. Last year it kept going off due to one faulty sensor.

I was at my computer, as usual being the dedicated Internet entrepenuer that I am, and told my wife to "stay put I'll see what's up."

I put on my shoes and go out into the hall. No one is around. Two seconds later my Republic of Korea Marine Corps friend is leading his clan out into the hallway.

Our downstairs neighbors are twin brothers that are security guards, they finally come out 10 seconds later.

We go check on the invalid lady on the first floor to make sure she's alright. It turns out that some kids had pulled the fire alarm as a prank.

I was feeling pretty good about being the first one out during the potential crisis. Then I realised my ROKMC buddy had used those extra two seconds to make sure his little clan was properly dressed for our sub-zero weather!

I don't care who he holds hand with, he could watch my back any day!

jinelson
12-18-04, 01:38 PM
yellowwing I met many ROK Marines in the Nam they are awesome fighters and very loyal to there friends. They ran the water point outside of Danang and I would drive a water truck with a water bull and load up from them. I got to know them well over time even traded rations with them, did you ever eat kim che and those little dried out fish? I really liked the kim che.

Semper Fi
Jim

yellowwing
12-18-04, 03:41 PM
He and I have traded suppers a few times. I don't know what they call it, but that red paste they put on everything is hot as hell!

One caucasian buddy calls it Korean Ketchup!

Osotogary
12-18-04, 04:22 PM
jinelson,
The Kim-Chee that is made in California is some of the best around. (I like it served cold myself) I found out that is not only made from cabbage but also other vegetables. I was told that during the Korean Conflict that you could always tell if someone was in the village if you could smell the Kim-Chee (Either being served or from someone's breath).
Met some former ROK who had opened up a Hapkido Dojang. I never saw so many holes on the walls. LOL Some have called the Koreans the Irish of the Orient.

jinelson
12-18-04, 04:32 PM
Hey Gary good to hear from ya. I didnt know that they made the stuff here in California now. I really developed a taste for it, I like it with that red hot powder on top. Yeah it does smell dosent it LOL. How is it in Florida is the State recovering a bit from the hurricanes? I am headed to Tampa in March for a week.

Semper Fi
Jim

Osotogary
12-18-04, 06:17 PM
jinelson,
With all the wonderful crops that are grown in California plus the large Oriental Communities throughout the State....Kim-Chee's got to be there somewhere. It was for me since the sixties. The best Kim-Chee that I've ever had was in Japanese/Korean Restaraunt in San Francisco. What was amazing about that experience was that (according to the history books) the Japanese have never had a fondness for the Koreans since they helped build an Armada (some say they were forced) for one of the Khans when he tried to invade Japan. The Armada was defeated in part to some very severe weather ..what the Japanese called "Divine Wind" or Kamakazi and I believe, the threat of invasion also brought together, for the first time, all the different Samurai Clans to fight in a unified force.
So, all in all, I didn't expect to ever see a Japanese/Korean Restaraunt....ever. But it was a great eating experience about three times a month for me and my guest or guests and the Kim-Chee, which was homemade, was absolutely fabulous but my breath stunk like the backside of Hogan's goat.
If you give me a buzz before you ventue out this way I'll send whatever I can find about Tampa.
Adios.
Gary

jinelson
12-19-04, 10:38 AM
Thanks Gary and I am glad to hear that Hogans goat is alive a well, I havent heard that term in many years

Sempers Bro
Jim