PDA

View Full Version : "You Must Be Close By"

danjate
12-17-04, 09:46 PM
I'm Sure this one has come up before but, it's in the future now w/ a few new Marines here.

I just wanted to know where alot of you guys are from. To see if I've been there or know anybody from there.

I'm from a little place called Las Vegas, NEW MEXICO.
If you have ever seen the movie "Red Dawn" thats my town and country side. Great movie if you haven't seen it.

Sgted
12-17-04, 09:52 PM
Blairstown, New Jersey.
Northwest hills (highest elevation about 600').
12 miles east of the Delaware Water Gap (where Route 80 crosses over into PA).
Lots of Black Bear, Coyotes, deer, snakes and other assorted wildlife.
On 1/2 the maps you will not see the village of Blairstown.
But you will see the village of Hope.
So.....when folks ask "where is Blairstown ?" we just answer "just beyond Hope".......LOL.

cajunguy
12-17-04, 10:37 PM
South Central Louisiana - City of Lafayette.

Located on Interstate 10 (where it intersects with Interstate 49) roughly halfway between N'Awlins (New Orleans for you Yankee type folks) and Houston, and about 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

In the heart of "Cajun Country" where the people are great and the food is greater. (Cajun cooking and N'Awlins style cookin' incidentally are totally different, and Cajun cookin' is the better of the two.) In fact if someone offered me N'Awlins style anything, I'd turn 'em down. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/smiley17f.gif

And for the record, Cajuns DO NOT have webbed toes. Hey, we actually have paved roads, telephones, and yes - computers too.

Great place to visit and live. Many people have come for a visit and ended up staying.

(And no, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce.)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/cajunguy/teehee.gif

Y'all come on down sometime. You MAY not leave.

yellowwing
12-18-04, 02:19 AM
Real Cajuns! I met one of you down in Uptown 'Nawlins. Good people. Wood stove cooking is definatley different!

I'm back up here in Winnipeg Canada. Sunday weather is predicted -38 F. That's about 100 degree difference than 'Nawlins, Los Angeles, and Miami!

I still can't figure why the hell folks would settle here with weather like this. We had 4 inches of snow in May last year!

Maybe that's why we have generous legalized marijuana laws! :banana:

LivinSoFree
12-18-04, 03:15 AM
Born in Cleveland, OH, forcibly relocated to The Land that Time Forgot (Cary, NC) in 1998... currently at school at UNC-Chapel Hill (yeah, that's the Tarheels for all you college basketball fans out there).

Timber
12-18-04, 07:24 AM
Suffolk, VA About 35 miles west of the worlds largest naval base Norfolk.

jo1753
12-20-04, 01:16 AM
Northeast Oklahoma..........or thats where I live now. Born and raised in up-state New York til I went in the Corps. in 71. After I got back from Nam.I moved to Minnesota, Lived in central Minnesota for almost 30 years.... Prior to relocating to Oklahoma
I'm a truck driver. When I have the time. I like to golf,bow hunt, fish and do woodworking.....thanks....John

garryh123
12-20-04, 01:28 AM
Grove City, Ohio.....South part of Columbus...Born in Honolulu, Hawaii..then riverside cali, then Ohio, the Virginia, then back to Ohio...Marine corps brat....and Marine

DSchmitke
12-20-04, 05:19 AM
Born In Lansing, Michigan have lived in Kalamazoo for 10 yrs

sadibenz
01-02-05, 06:30 PM
Born in Oxnard, Ca (Oxnard Air Force Base)
Military brat. Lived all over the U.S. and overseas.
Spent my last 3 years of High School in Corpus Christi, Tex. Which, also happens to probably be the longest we ever stayed in on place at one time.:banana:

sadibenz
01-02-05, 06:35 PM
Now, Im in Chula Vista, Ca.
Serving and protecting my Country and its Borders in a very unique way. For a very long time now.:banana:

cjjohnson
01-02-05, 06:52 PM
Born and raised in Tampa,Florida...but I got to Texas as soon as I could. Raised by a Marine...met a Marine when I got to Texas.

Arlene Horton
01-02-05, 10:32 PM
Born & raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Most of my family lives in Wisconsin but have six members living in Florida...Tampa, Clearwater and Lithia. Would love to move there but the old man is definitely a fan of the frozen north.

MillRatUSMC
01-02-05, 10:34 PM
Born in New Mexico, next was El Paso, Texas, than California followed by Indiana.
Where I spent most of my youth, enlisted in Marine Corps, spent 10 years active.
Came back to Indiana, worked my butt off in the steelmills.
Retired in 1998.
Been living in Hammond, Indiana for over 30 some odd years.
Suffered every winter with DaBears except 1985.
And the summers with DaCubs...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Toby M
01-02-05, 11:11 PM
Born in Colorado, lived in Wyoming and raised in Boise, Idaho. Want to move to Texas as soon as I can-I am tired of this cold weather...Hill Country, here I come...

hrscowboy
01-03-05, 12:11 AM
Born and raised in Muncie Kansas right here on my great grandfathers homestead will be here till the day they put me under thats for sure..

HardJedi
01-03-05, 02:54 AM
Born in Kansas City Missouri, raised in a little nowhere town called Marshall Missouri, now I am back living in good ol KCMO!

( lived LOTS of places though)

airframesguru
01-03-05, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Arlene Horton
Born & raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Most of my family lives in Wisconsin but have six members living in Florida...Tampa, Clearwater and Lithia. Would love to move there but the old man is definitely a fan of the frozen north.

Hey another cheese head. I was born in Athens, WI now in Northern VA.

Still pull'n for the Pukers I mean the Packers?

:yes:

jinelson
01-03-05, 08:57 AM
Native Californian here born in Berkeley Spent 8 of the best years of my life in the Corps in the Vietnam era and 2 years in the reserves as a 3531/3537 motor- T driver truckmaster/ops chief.

Namvet67
01-03-05, 09:21 AM
Born and raised in Dallas, Texas. Spent six months in California and three years in Vietnam. Now back in Dallas and don't plan on moving.

lcpl2121
01-03-05, 11:54 AM
Born and raised in the land of the Osage, in the Great state of Oklahoma.

geeze
01-03-05, 12:48 PM
Born in North Dakota and raised about 25 miles west of Chicago. Was a LEO for 30 yrs and retired to North Kakalaky, small town of Davidson, on Lake Norman. Wife hates it and wants to go back up north. (Family, grandkids, etc)

Like the weather, but it is strange sometimes down here!!!

JAG5150
01-03-05, 12:51 PM
Living in Seattle Wa. back home after 14 years

femalemarine_89
01-03-05, 01:17 PM
Lets see.. Me I was born in a hick town called Belding MI, then lived in Ionia forever till I moved away from home and did my thing..

jerryd6818
01-04-05, 10:33 AM
Born in Evansville Indiana, the son of a Bible beatn' Baptist preacher with itchy feet. He was in Rockford, Illinois when I got out of the Corps so drawn by the prospect of free room and board, that's where I landed and that's where I've stayed. It's "as cold as a well diggers ^$$" up here but it's where my kids and friends are.

Jarhed
01-04-05, 02:49 PM
Born in Naha Okinawa (Dad was stationed there in 64), moved to CA for 6 months, then to Aberdeen MD, then to PA, then to Ft Bragg, then to Germany, then to MD again (dad stationed at Edgewood Arsenal), then back to Hbg. Finished school there, then College, tried out NC, tried out Delaware, then to Phoenix, then here to Southern Mexifornia (after swearing a million times in the 80's I'd never live here).