PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps novelist, Major Gene Duncan, motivates recruits, Marines during tour

thedrifter
12-17-04, 12:57 PM
Marine Corps novelist, Major Gene Duncan, motivates recruits, Marines during tour

Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story by Cpl. Matt Barkalow

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. (Dec. 16, 2004) -- Since retiring from active service in 1979, Maj. Gene Duncan has written more than 10 books related to the Marine Corps where he inspires Marines and tells of his personal experiences. In addition, he goes from base to base as a guest speaker for different units. December 13-17 marked Duncan's 20th, and possibly last, visit to the Depot.

Duncan enlisted in the Marine Corps in February 1950 at the age of 18. In 1954, he went into the Marine Corps Reserves and came back to active duty in 1961 as a second lieutenant and achieved the rank of major before retiring in June 1979.

As an enlisted Marine, Duncan served as an administrative clerk, Russian linguist and 81-millimeter mortar section leader. As an officer, he was a tank officer, communications officer, naval gunfire officer, cryptologic officer and ordnance officer.

Duncan served in the Korean War as a section leader for mortars with 1st Bn., 5th Marine Regiment and in Vietnam twice, where he was wounded twice.

While aboard the Depot, Duncan made it a point to visit recruits in each battalion. Once the recruits from those companies were gathered together, he commenced to tell of his experiences in the Marine Corps, how vital the Marines are today in the Middle East and how proud he is of the sacrifices the recruits have made.

The Dec. 13 visit with the recruits underscored the Marine Corps' role in global security, what it means to have honor and a warrior spirit and some pointers on what to do and not do when they reach the fleet.

One of the first things Duncan hit hard on is how proud he was that in a liberal society, where Americans can do whatever they want within the law, those recruits volunteered to serve their country. He added to that, however, with that comes great responsibility in upholding the standards of the Marine Corps family.

"You must accept the fact you're not here to get, you're here to give," the Vietnam and Korean War veteran said. "You have the responsibility to live up to what your forefathers set. You have joined a group that's more than a group, it's a family."

He told the recruits that it is a good experience to go through recruit training and that listening and acting on what their drill instructors tell them is key in them becoming the best Marines they can be.

"Boot camp is a unique and wonderful experience," Duncan said. "Pay attention to everything [the drill instructors] teach you. It is important to you being a Marine."

He stressed the need for a selfless attitude because that is what will matter if the recruits see combat within the next year or two.

"Remember, you're here to do things with no expectations of rewards," he said. "Look for the betterment of your team."

One of the final points Duncan made was that he is pleased with the job of the Marine Corps now in relation to the Marines of years past.

"I'm proud of the Marines I hear about in Iraq and Afghanistan," Duncan exclaimed. "I have never seen the Corps in better shape than it is now."

Accompanying Duncan on his trip was Tom Nerney, who was once a 1st RTBn. recruit himself in 1959. Nerney was inside one of the World Trade Center buildings when they were attacked and contributed greatly to the rescue of some of the victims. He spoke to the recruits and told them he was grateful for the experience he had while in the Corps and that the recruits must be strong because they are the future.

"Don't let fear overcome anything that you endeavor to do," said the retired New York Police Department detective. "You are America's future. Every success in my life I owe to the Marine Corps."

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie