PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Joining

Christina86
12-17-04, 08:11 AM
HI! I'm a young woman, and I'm very short and petite compared to others, so I wanted to know if that slims my chances of making it through bootcamp. I'd really like to join, I'm just not so sure, that I want to start something I dont know that I can finish. I'd like to know all about the bootcamp and the life of a marine! I'm graduating high school this year, and I'm already accepted to colleges, so it's not my only way out, I just see it as something I can do for my country. And besides, I come from a military family. THANKS to whoever can answer any questions or tell me anything about marine bootcamp and life!!!

-Christina

TRLewis
12-17-04, 08:17 AM
I would like to quote someone very important to me, "Size matters not." I was 119 when I went to boot camp, 2 lbs over the minimum, when I got out of PI I was 155. And after spending time in the fleet I jumped up to 180.

It's all mental, but just be in shape enough to pass the IFT with ease and you'll do fine.

Goose
12-17-04, 08:30 AM
Christina, if your heart is in it and you are willing to give 110% You will be fine. Remember this Bootcamp is 80% mental and 20% phyiscal. Good luck with whatever you chose to do

Pel
12-17-04, 01:08 PM
Actually most of the Female Marines and Poolee's Ive seen tend to be on the shorter side. I know a poolee that is 4'11 and know a Female Marine that was only 5'01

Pel

Eric Robinson
12-17-04, 04:11 PM
my company went though the crucible with the girls of november company and their were some really small girls. They had a difficult time, and at times had to work harder then the guys had to just to get by, but they made it. Also at MCT a small asian female Marine toughed it out with a pack that was actually bigger then she was, she almost didnt make it but hey she is a Marine, so she made it. If u want it bad enough you can do it.

Husker35
12-17-04, 06:10 PM
If you have enough guts to think about joining the MARINES, then Im sure you will do just fine. Like Goose said, the mental part is harder than the physical part. SEMPER FI

NYLady13
12-18-04, 02:52 AM
Christina, I just graduated boot camp with a girl that was 5' tall and 90 lbs. She made it through boot camp with only one problem, she had to gain weight. Otherwise its about how much heart you have you can be huge, and still not make it.

Abe's
12-18-04, 07:56 AM
Size, frame, girth, man or woman, it does not matter. What matters is heart and the desire to succeed. Recruit training is rough, harsh, isolated, and miserable; however, it is with a purpose in mind. To mold you into a basic Marine.

I have mentioned it on another post, but let me suggest a book for you to read. It's titled "Making the Corps" by Thomas E. Ricks. An excellent book which focus' on recruit training in Parris Island.