PDA

View Full Version : The ‘P’ in ‘RHIP’

thedrifter
12-15-04, 06:22 AM
12-14-2004

The ‘P’ in ‘RHIP’

By Matthew Dodd

What the heck is “RHIP” and what does it mean to you?

While researching a previous article, I came across a surprising entry in the index of my Marine Officer’s Guide. This book, given to me when I was commissioned a 2nd lieutenant many lifetimes ago, has served as an initial reference book for thousands of men and women who have been fortunate enough to have been honored with the title of “officer of U.S. Marines.”

The index included “R.H.I.P.,” an old military adage that stands for “Rank Has Its Privileges.” I had heard about and thought about that adage a lot as a junior officer, but not recently. I am not sure if “RHIP” is as widely known or as widely used as when I was a young officer. Let me share with you what the Marine Officer’s Guide had to say about RHIP:

“As an officer you are entitled to take precedence ahead of your juniors and all enlisted men. This privilege is admitted in the service proverb “R.H.I.P” – “Rank has its privileges.” Just when and where you “pull rank” though, is a matter of some delicacy.”

“Generally speaking, you should assert your privilege when your time is circumscribed by duty or when failure to do so would demean your status as a commissioned officer. For example, an officer should not waste his own time and the government’s by falling in line behind privates in a clothing storeroom or hesitate to claim the attention of an administrative functionary hemmed in by enlisted men. Conversely, in situations where all persons are equal, take your place with the others regardless of rank. In the mess, at the barber shop (unless there is an officer’s chair), at the post exchange, or at games, avoid taking advantage of rank.”

“Finally, every Marine officer pulls rank in reverse when it comes to looking out for his troops. In the field, before you yourself eat, every enlisted Marine must have had a full ration. Before you take shelter, your Marines must have shelter. “There is no fatigue the soldiers go through,” said Baron von Steuben in 1779, “that the officers should not share.”

I thought that description of “RHIP” was pretty accurate and it had a lot to say about leadership. After reading what the Marine Officer’s Guide had to say about “RHIP,” I began to reflect on what else “RHIP” might mean and what other guidance might be helpful in an initial reference book for new officers. As a career Marine officer, I decided to come up with my own alternative definitions of “RHIP” based on my many years of being influenced by service men and women of every rank.

Rank Has Its Purpose:

The purpose of rank is to serve those you lead, not to expect to be served by those you lead. Any increase in rank equates to greater opportunities to positively influence more juniors and subordinate leaders. Picking up rank, or getting promoted, should be more about your future than about your past. I believe it is not enough just to look at what someone has accomplished to determine to “reward” that person with a promotion to a higher rank. A promotion should be a “recognition” of that person’s accomplishments relative to how that person achieved those results.

Accomplishments are definitely essential, but not as important as how a person achieved those accomplishments. If the price of a person’s accomplishments was a fearful, suppressed, hesitant, de-motivated, or de-moralized organization, then that person’s overall performance is not worthy of recognition with a promotion to a higher rank. That person has proven that he or she has not served his or her juniors and subordinate leaders at the present rank so what would make anyone think that an increase in rank would equate to positively influencing more juniors and subordinate leaders?

Rank Has Its Position:

There are appropriate jobs or positions for every rank, and there are inappropriate jobs or positions for every rank. The key for anyone with any rank is to truly understand what is and is not appropriate for each rank.

Knowing what is appropriate for each rank goes far beyond just knowing the formal job description. Knowing what to do for any job is essential, but again it is the “how” of the job that is of greater importance when it comes to rank. Juniors and subordinate leaders watch their seniors carefully. The daily lessons taught by seniors in their jobs or positions are more powerful than probably most, if not all, written organizational manuals. Filling a particular job or position with the wrong person who has the correct rank can have devastating and long-lasting negative consequences at, above, and below that job or position.

Rank Has Its Potential:

A central component of rank is that it is a symbol of potential. Potential is defined as, “something that can develop or become actual; promise (reason to expect something; ground for expectation of success, improvement, or excellence).”

Leaders at any rank are expected to operate in the present, and also expected to be focused on the future. This future focus is on the individual, unit, and organizational levels, and they should be concurrent and continuous. A big part of the purpose of rank is to develop the potential, release the possibilities, and channel the synergy produced from striving for success, improvement and excellence at all levels.

Rank Has Its Price:

Every rank comes with its own set of expectations and responsibilities. With increased rank come increased expectations and responsibilities. What is often overlooked with increased rank is the increased price of the rank-holder’s expectations and responsibilities.

The price of increasing rank is increased personal risk through increased personal involvement in the lives and the livelihood of juniors, subordinate leaders, and the organization itself. The personal risk comes from fully committing oneself to others, and becoming vulnerable to forces and circumstances beyond one’s personal control. This price of rank is the price of leadership, and it is not easy, but it must be paid in full if rank is to have any intrinsic value beyond a mere paycheck.

Rank Has Its Powers:

Beware that rank has a powerful, almost mystical influence on many people. It can make people do things, both good and bad, that they would not do on their own. Rank often changes individuals' behavior, both positively and negatively. Rank comes with opportunities to take certain actions, and increased rank comes with more opportunities to take more actions. Rank can open doors for you that for others will remain closed. Rank has the power to change the way people treat, perceive, and look at you. Be humble and know that you are the conduit through which these powers flow. Respect these powers and strive to harness it to do what is right and to serve those you lead.

Rank Has Its Problems:

Rank, in and of itself, does not have any problems. Some “leadership purists” may argue that the military’s rigid rank structure sets up an archaic and ineffective class system. I would argue that our battlefield successes prove that our rank structure, when properly administered, is highly effective and as applicable today as it was in ancient times. The credit belongs to the people who hold the rank and live up to the expectations and responsibilities of their rank. The only problems with rank come from the persons who hold the rank and do not live up to the appropriate expectations and responsibilities of the rank they hold.

The biggest and unfortunately most common problem with rank is that too many falsely believe that rank either compensates for inferior leadership or that rank is a substitute for effective leadership. Rank and effective leadership have a symbiotic relationship in that they feed off each other to make each other stronger. Rank is a showcase for effective leadership and effective leadership ultimately leads to increased rank. Conversely, rank with ineffective leadership is a breeding ground for undisciplined chaos and frustration while ineffective leadership ultimately leads to either rank stagnation or rank reduction.

No system is perfect all the time. Our rank structure and performance evaluation systems are designed to complement each other so that our forces are led by the best, most competent leaders.

As I explored my thoughts while writing this article, I distinctly remembered rank-holders from my past and present who either validated my points of what needs to be done, or defied those very same points. I hope that my thoughts may help inspire other rank-holders to reflect on another old military adage: You have to respect the rank, but you choose to respect the rank-holder.

Lt. Col. Matthew Dodd USMC is a Senior Editor of DefenseWatch. He can be reached at mattdodd1775@hotmail.com. Please send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

Ellie