PDA

View Full Version : Back from MEPs

TRLewis
12-14-04, 07:41 AM
I've been to MEPs about three times now getting my stuff squared away to enlist in the Army. Only once out of the three times has any Marine DEPs decided it might be a good idea to discuss the Marine Corps in general with me.

The last time I was at MEPs I lit a guy up because he wanted to sit on his ass, mumbling, and talking with his hand in front of his mouth, while a Master Guns was talking to him. While you shouldn't be boot camp motivated, you should show some respect to these men and women who are trying to get you to enlist. The same goes for the medical staff, they do the same thing. Only they can refuse to process you.

Also I would like to point out, I know most of you are still in high school. But you don't have to act like it. I almost got caught sneaking back into the hotel because some dumb ass wanted run up and down the hallways.

So when you goto MEPs for your initial physical, or DLAB, or ASVAB, or inspect to ship dont waste peoples time, act like you got some sense, and be respectful. No one there is "mean" to you.

Semper Fi Recruits.

Pel
12-14-04, 12:57 PM
Act like were still in highschool... All most got caught SNEAKING back in? That made me laugh but I know what you mean. You get some pretty different people around you at meps.

TRLewis
12-14-04, 01:14 PM
Hey I'm 22 years old, there is a huge difference between causing trouble, and just doing your duty as a Marine to find ways around rules. It is every Marines responsibility to figure out a way to skirt some of those idiotic rules.

LivinSoFree
12-14-04, 02:02 PM
When I went to MEPS, I found that it was actually in a lot of cases pretty easy to tell who was going to what service... there's a definite personaility difference most of the time, esp. between the USMC shippers and the rest. TRLewis, I never had the experience you did... but once I got to the Island, I definitely saw recruits who would've been that way.

HardJedi
12-21-04, 03:41 PM
"just teenagers?" to HELL with THAT! these are the young men and women who are soon going to be FIGHTING AND DYING. I know at 18 it's hard to believe this is all real, but it sure as hell IS! go ahead and go into it thinking like a kid, and you are likely to come home in a box. Maybe thats a bit harsh, probably, but damn! if you are old enough to sign up, it's time to stop thinking like a punk ass kis, and act like the men and women you are trying to become. Nuff said.

TRLewis
12-22-04, 06:58 AM
explain that to them. these kids drove me crazy, i had groupies asking me what the fleet is like, what boot camp is like. its a horrible time to see what kind of recruits they are sending in. and they're so small, im not very big just 6' 180 lbs but no one was bigger than i was, im thinking damn im glad all of you arent going infantry my happy ass would be carrying a 240 again.

it just really amazed me at the maturity level in which they think, one idiot was even trying to get laid by a girl who was a total prude, i told him she was, he didnt believe me because she was "hot", she was just the hottest girl going to meps in the hotel. but she was deping for the Corps, that was her saving grace in my eyes.

another thing that really got on my nerves was this guy who was PS air force signing up for the army. i was talking with one of them, who was ****ed he told me the army computer offered him more jobs than most people get offered. i overheard the guy talking in a loud voice saying, do you think the army is being unfair to you by offering you all this?

this whole process really got to me, couldnt believe the things that were going on, hell they didnt even like the roast beef sandwhichs for lunch. they better get used to that.

yellowwing
12-22-04, 07:10 AM
MEPS? Faggit'a'bout'it! You're going back to train and fight.

Forget about the mumbler tying to cover his booze breath, or the Kids in the Hall. Look at PFC Lake and what our training did for him, they'll be okay.

Focus back on your mission. Semper Fi!

perfectcircle
12-22-04, 06:00 PM
when were you at meps? When I was there 041026 I had some idiots in their running down the halls as well. It's amazing, but you could sit there and pick out who was going to make it, who wasn't, and who was going for what. No offense, but I saw a guy knitting on the floor and I asked, "Navy?" "yeap" he replied....You can tell. There were only two others for the Corps that day with me...and you can tell.

I'm proud of how I was there. I'm not being cocky but I tried to be the best one their. I acted like every minute that I spent there was a test. Even the waiting times, and in the Flyer's Inn.

I was told to be down by 4:30am, I went in, slept, woke up at 3:55. showered, made my bed and got down stairs by 4:05. You couldn't even tell I stayed in the room.

There certainly are a lot of screwballs joining the forces these days, but none the less, we need them. And we will take those who have potential, and no matter what branch they're going for, if they can make it through and be better people...all the more power to them.

drillinstructor
12-22-04, 08:02 PM
just send them to me. Look they are all nasty lil pigs when they arrive here at the Depot. Watch them walk across that grinder on graduation day and you will see the difference. These punks have the same motivation we all did, to become a United States Marine. They are punks now but give me 3 months and I will turn them into fine young men proud to go and give their life for this great country we all live in. The fact is they have no clue yet, but soon yes soon they will be stepping off that bus onto my yellow footprints.......

femalemarine_89
12-22-04, 08:13 PM
you know drill when you say my you better say it with enthusiam.. say it as MY YELLOW FOOTPRINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. give em hell

TRLewis
12-23-04, 06:46 AM
No one in my family could figure out why I took pictures of those yellow foot prints.

I was at MEPS early december in charlotte. I go back in Feb, next time I wont be as nice to them. :)