PDA

View Full Version : Marine Chooses Wedding Ring Over Finger

jinelson
12-13-04, 08:52 AM
Marine Chooses Wedding Ring Over Finger
Associated Press
December 13, 2004

VICTORVILLE, Calif. - When Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle learned he'd either have to sacrifice his ring finger or the wedding band he wore, he told doctors at a field hospital in Iraq to cut off the finger.
The 19-year-old former high school football star suffered a mangled left hand and serious wounds to his legs in a Nov. 13 fire fight in Fallujah. Battle, who is recovering at his parents' home in this desert city 80 miles northeast of Los Angeles, came under attack as he and fellow Marines entered a building. Eleven other Marines were wounded.
Doctors were preparing to cut off Battle's ring to save as much of his finger as they could.
"But that would mean destroying my wedding ring," he said. "My wife is the strongest woman I know. She's basically running two people's lives since I've been gone. I don't think I could ever repay her or show her how grateful ... how much I love my wife, my soul mate."
With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring.

Although Battle was disappointed, his wife, Devon, said she was honored.
"I can't believe he did that," she said. "At first I was mad when he told me, but then I realized how lucky I am to have him in my life."
The couple, who met in the eighth grade, were married in June, just two weeks before Battle left for Iraq. He hopes to eventually return to the Marines, and to replace his wedding ring, but that will have to wait until he recovers.
In the meanwhile, Battle's high school has planned a banquet in his honor next week.
"We need to make more David Battles," said Daniel Pierce, the school's assistant head coach. "He is one amazing guy."

Toby M
12-13-04, 10:44 AM
Maybe he was more afraid of his wife than he was of losing a finger...(LOL)

Namvet67
12-13-04, 10:51 AM
Very interesting story and I don't want sound cold (but I am)...but..hey, you can get another ring and another wife too. A little hard to replace that finger. When I was in Vietnam, we didn't wear rings and things in the bush.

TRLewis
12-13-04, 12:02 PM
I don't get it, hes going to hate himself when in 5 years his wife leaves him.

DSchmitke
12-13-04, 12:05 PM
I'm more attached to my finger so lose the wedding ring.

cajunguy
12-13-04, 01:58 PM
And then, what did they do? They went and lost the freakin' ring anyway !! http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage23/14.gif

Duhhhhh !!

Damn, I HATE it when that happens.

Osotogary
12-13-04, 02:02 PM
Yep, he gave 'em the finger and got nothin' back in return.

SSgtOfMarines
12-13-04, 03:43 PM
sad to say, but this kid's a dumbarse

kentmitchell
12-13-04, 06:04 PM
And the swabbies lost the ring!
But hey, it was the ring finger, not the one he picks his nose with so all is well.

Underleft
12-13-04, 07:34 PM
Im gonna have to agree that this was the wrong choice. You can love your wife and not give up your finger. My wife would kill me if I did some stupid thing like that. maybe it's just me but I don't see at all why anybody would make that choice. Makes no sense to me. If he's in victorville thats kinda by me. I'm in 29 palms. Maybe i'll go have a talk with him.

Sparrowhawk
12-13-04, 07:42 PM
we would give our lives for a Marine, but not a finger for a wife.. LOL

I guess we learned our lesson because of Adam, how he went and gave up a rib and look what happened...

that women went and got him in trouble....LMAO

yellowwing
12-13-04, 07:44 PM
I've heard strange tales about Victorville! Maybe its something in the water or the town is over an old burial ground?

I showed my wife this and she had the same reaction about the NAvy losing the ring anyway! duh!!

greensideout
12-13-04, 08:10 PM
The Navy would lose a ship if it wasn't for the Marines guarding it!

hrscowboy
12-13-04, 10:49 PM
yeah rings cost a lot of money and women are a dime a dozen....

garryh123
12-13-04, 10:50 PM
LOL..No Sh*t!

hrscowboy
12-14-04, 01:06 AM
Ha hahahahaha glad the misses aint home to see this....

CAR
12-14-04, 03:23 AM
I would love to say "Man what a beautiful show of love and commitment" but being that he's 19 yrs old and that its a Ring vs. Finger..... what a dumbsh!t !!!

hrscowboy
12-14-04, 05:43 AM
probably his first lady give him 6 months he'll wish he saved the finger when jodys got his girl and gone....

Wyoming
12-14-04, 07:42 AM
With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring.

I agree, it was an unwise decision but isn't the above the crux of the matter.

I wouldn't do what he did, but jeez, they went and lost the ring anyway. There's got to be more to the issue than has been reported.

Sparrowhawk
12-14-04, 09:50 AM
Community rallies round Marine
Calls, donations pour in from readers touched by his story
By SARA A. CARTER
STAFF WRITER

Monday, December 13, 2004 - David Battle has more offers for help than he knows what to do with.

The 19-year-old Marine and former Montclair High football star has been the center of attention since telling his story in Sunday's Daily Bulletin.

People from across the Inland Valley and the nation have wanted to share their gratitude for the young Marine who was wounded in action in Iraq last month and asked doctors to remove his mangled finger rather than destroy his wedding band. The ring itself was lost during his surgery.

The story of his pain and dedication to his wife, Devann, touched the hearts of many both locally and throughout the nation, the family said.

In Alta Loma, Steve and Karen Murray were so moved by Battle's courage and love that they decided not to give gifts to each other this Christmas. Instead, they said, they will give the lance corporal and his wife an early Christmas gift.

"To find that his ring was missing, that was a nail in the heart right there," Steve Murray said.

The former Marine, who works for Jack B. Kelly Inc., an Ontario company whose employees are nearly 85 percent former military personnel, raised more than $1,000 to help the Battles this Christmas with finances.

"This guy is out there protecting us so we can enjoy Christmas," Murray said. "We need to show appreciation for what these guys are doing for us to protect our freedom."

The response has been overwhelming, noted Devann Battle, 19.

"It is so heartwarming to know that people from everywhere care enough about us to read our story," she said.

"He is a wonderful guy," she added, speaking about her husband. "It is so great that people are interested in hearing his story ... that they really care about him. I'm grateful that I can share my husband with the rest of the world, and I feel like the luckiest person alive."

David Battle spent Monday night munching on pizza, fielding telephone calls and watching "The Biggest Loser" on television. He described himself as just like any other 19-year-old.

"I would do all of it all over again," he said from his room at a hotel near Jerry L. Pettis Memorial Veterans Medical Center in Loma Linda, where he is receiving rehabilitation for multiple bullet wounds in his leg. "People have been so amazing. I didn't want anything in return, because I did what I did for Devann out of love." Montclair High varsity football coach Steve Sullivant and assistant coach Daniel Pierce said their phones did not stop ringing all day Monday.

"Since the early morning we've been inundated with people calling from everywhere to give to David," Sullivant said. "People are full of kindness, and there are few kids as deserving as David."

Because of the calls pouring into the high school, the two coaches have set up a trust fund with Bank of America to help Battle and his wife. Battle was told by doctors that he should stay off his legs for at least one year. But the feisty 19-year-old is already trying to get up and walk around.

Battle was injured when he fired at insurgents who were attacking his unit in a building in Fallujah.

Wounded, Battle stumbled out the building, only to be hit in the hand minutes later by shrapnel from a grenade while fellow soldiers were working to stabilize him.

His left hand mangled, he asked doctors not to destroy the wedding band his wife gave him but take his finger instead.

But that's just the way her son is, Battle's mother said.

"He has a big heart," Sonia Cabrera said. "I don't mind that he was injured I'm just so glad he's back. I cried every day and night that he was in Iraq, so much, now I feel I like I have a new baby again."

Donations to the David Battle Fund can be sent to the UPS Store, 1042 N. Mountain Ave. No. B130, Upland, 91786.

Sara A. Carter can be reached by e-mail at sara.carter@dailybulletin.com or by phone at (909) 483-8552.

thedrifter
12-18-04, 04:30 PM
SoCal Marine who sacrificed finger for ring gets new wedding band

By John Rogers
ASSOCIATED PRESS

12:03 a.m. December 18, 2004

LOS ANGELES – The Robbins brothers couldn't replace the finger Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle lost in Iraq, but they were determined to make sure he got a new wedding ring.

Battle, who was wounded in fighting in Fallujah on Nov. 13, had ordered military doctors to cut off his finger rather than destroy his wedding ring when they worked on his injured hand. They complied, but then somehow the ring was lost after the surgery.

When Steve Robbins and his brother learned of the sad news they tracked down Battle and his wife, Devon, had them brought to the Robbins Bros. engagement ring store in Montclair by limousine Friday night and offered Battle any ring they had.

"We conspired with our customers," an ebullient Robbins said by phone from the store Friday night where a singer was serenading the couple, friends and customers were cheering and Battle and his wife were dancing. "Our customers had e-mailed us about this young couple and their amazing story and we just followed it through and found them."

Battle's wife had lured him to the store with the excuse that they were going out for the evening.

"Once I saw the limo I got kind of suspicious," he said with a laugh. "I thought we were just going to the mall."

At the shop, he insisted his wife pick out his ring, just as she had done the last time.

"It took me awhile because they have an amazing selection. It was every woman's dream, to be turned loose in a jewelry store," she giggled.

She selected an 18-carot white gold and platinum ring that retails for about $900, Robbins said, passing up some that go for as much as $8,000. Her husband was more than satisfied.

"How much would it mean if you pick out your own ring?" Battle asked. "I wanted my wife to pick it out with all of my heart."

The 19-year-old Marine has known his wife since the two met in the eighth grade. They were married June 12, two weeks before he left for Iraq. The former Montclair High School football star had enlisted before graduation.

"I always wanted to give something back to my country because the country has been so good to my mother and father," he said Friday night.

Ellie

jinelson
12-18-04, 04:50 PM
Thanks Ellie, I think that Cook was right again. It amazes me that this much kindness for our military exists in this state. We have really turned around from how returning Nam veterans were treated and I am so thankfull for that.