PDA

View Full Version : Semper Fi question.

Osotogary
12-10-04, 01:59 PM
How do I reply to a Marine, either active or inactive, who say's Semper Fi or Ooorah to me?
My truck has a USMC Sticker on it saying that "I'm a Proud Parent of a US. Marine". I made some t-shirts with "Proud Father of a United States Marine" and "Proud to be a Grunt Dad" on them and sometimes I wear these t-shirts doing my daily chores (honey do list).
Whenever someone say's either "Ooorah" or "Semper Fi" to me I just usually say, "Thank you, Sir" or "Thank you, Mame". Sometimes I'll say, "On behave of my Son and his Fellow Marines..Thank you." The only person who I have ever said Semper Fi or Ooorah to is my son. I never use Semper Fi or Ooorah when entering a post or a private message as an introduction or a conclusion. That said, what is the proper civilian reply?
Thanks in advance.
Gary

marinemom
12-10-04, 02:14 PM
Gee Gary, you are in the same boat as I am - my standard answer is Thank you - altho once in a while it'll be Right back at you - but I like your answer on behalf of your son - that one really works.

thedrifter
12-10-04, 02:21 PM
I never say it either....I do the same as you a simply Thank You for Your Service..

Ellie

Sgtj
12-10-04, 02:32 PM
Those are good questions. Ones I probably don't have the answer too. However, I would be by no means offended if I saw you in the store and said "Semper Fi" and you said it back, regardless of whether or not your are a Marine. Now if you going around and mimicking the sayings then that would cause issues.

Semper Fidelis means always faithfull my wife and I have that engraved on both of our wedding bands.. "Semper FI"

usmc85204
12-10-04, 02:41 PM
I make it a point to acknowledge another marine or a member of their family. Ooorah or Semper Fi is my way of stating we are members of the same fraternity. Of showing respect for the service of another . So if parent ,child , or fellow marine, I readly accept Semper Fi or OOOrah as a full and complete salute between brothers .... Semper Fi

Sgtj
12-10-04, 02:59 PM
I agree

vfm
12-10-04, 04:10 PM
Gary
As stated by many of the others as long as Semper Fi is said in a respectful manner, it wouldn't be inappropriate for you to return the greeting.
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

Abe's
12-10-04, 04:39 PM
Good question. And one I think the Marine Corps Orders do not cover; however, I would just say follow your heart. I think a simple OOORah! or Semper Fi! in response is not out of order.

jinelson
12-10-04, 04:52 PM
I have no problem with a Semper Fi from a non Marine as I look at it as a respectfull acknowlegement of my having earned the title. And I certainly would not be offended if I recieved a Semper Fi from Ellie, Gary, Marine Mom or any other person whose wife, son or husband as they are close to a Marine and are only showing respect. I would only be offended if someone that I identified as a poser tried to get away with it.

albert torcini
12-10-04, 05:39 PM
THE TERM "SEMPER FI" CAME INTO BEING SHORTLY AFTER THE BEIRUT BOMBING IN 1983,THEN-COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS GEN PAUL X KELLEY WAS VISITING A WOUNDED MARINE IN THE HOSPITAL.THE LAD SHOOK THE COMMANDANTS HAND AND THEN SCRIBBLED THE WORDS SEMPER FI ON A PEICE OF PAPER.IT WAS THE MARINES WAY OF SAYING "SEMPER FIDELIS".GEN KELLEY BECAME EMOTIONAL AND SAID,"LORD,WHERE DO WE GET SUCH MEN?THE PRESS PICKED UP ON IT.

AFTER THAT THE TERM "SEMPER FI" WAS GIVEN A NEW LIFE AND A MEANING AMONG MARINES. HOWEVER,FOR OLDER MARINES,THE TERM HAD A SLIGHTLEY DIFFERENT MEANING.TODAY WHILEONE UNDERSTANDS "SEMPER FI"TO BE A MARINE GREETING,IN THE PAST."SEMPER FI,MAC" MEANT I GOT MINE,HOWYOU DOING?"

SO, SEMPER FI TO ALL

rockhopper
12-10-04, 06:06 PM
I agree with some of the above. I don't necessarily believe that you have to be a Marine to say it to a Marine. The non-Marines are just giving their respect, and acknowledging our title.

Cole11
12-10-04, 07:49 PM
im a brand new Marine, and when a person comes up to me says OORAH, Marine or non Marine, i give that person a loud and motivated OOORAH right back!