PDA

View Full Version : Did Making Sergeant Change You

Namvet67
12-10-04, 09:06 AM
Do you remember when you earned the rank of Sergeant? On that day did your attitude change? Did you carry that rank with you into civilian life? Prior to my promotion, I really can't say I was in love with the Corps. I followed orders, got the job done but I wondered why I was in the Corps. When my name changed to Sergeant...my attitude of the Corps changed. I felt like I belonged there and more a part of the Corps. I was treated different by those below and above me. I felt I was somebody. I'm no longer in the Corps but I'm still a Sergeant.

kentmitchell
12-10-04, 09:15 AM
Wish I knew.
I was a corporal (e-3 in old rank structure) and made corporal once more (e-4) rather than sergeant (e-4).
Only had to sew on crossed rifles instead of another chevron.
However, the new metal chevrons were late getting to us so new corporals had to wear the old-time sergeant chevrons when wearing utilities.
Needless to say, I wore my utilities a lot more than any other uniform.
Didn't change me much, I guess.
I was Mitch-the-Sonafa***** as an e3 and it continued as an e4.

DSchmitke
12-10-04, 09:31 AM
I was know as the a**hole Sergeant. We had a Good Sergeant who would say yes to the troops and then me to no Sergeant who deny everything. And I liked the role. But for my last week on Okinawa I was the good Sergeant.

Sgtj
12-10-04, 12:10 PM
I was a merit... Corporal and it was hard for my peers to see the immediate change, after all I didn't blame them I was an e-4 by the end of my first year in the Corps. But after I won Battalion NCO of the quarter I started getting peoples attention. I did feel different when I got promoted to Sgt. Maybe it was the respect form higher and lower or maybe it was the title change itself. Either way I was glad to lead Marines as a Sergeant.

Carl V. Strout
12-10-04, 12:22 PM
Sgt. DSchmitke <br />
Question I was on Okinawa on Yontan Airstrip with small group of Marines first week April 45 they gave me guard duty watching a Jap Tony fighter plane. Wanted off APA as Jap planes...

Carl V. Strout
12-10-04, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by gbudd
Do you remember when you earned the rank of Sergeant? On that day did your attitude change? Did you carry that rank with you into civilian life? Prior to my promotion, I really can't say I was in love with the Corps. I followed orders, got the job done but I wondered why I was in the Corps. When my name changed to Sergeant...my attitude of the Corps changed. I felt like I belonged there and more a part of the Corps. I was treated different by those below and above me. I felt I was somebody. I'm no longer in the Corps but I'm still a Sergeant.

jinelson
12-10-04, 12:30 PM
I made sergeant in the Nam and man did I notice an immediate change. I was the man, and I had given no thought to the accountability side of it. It was made very clear to me quickly that I had been given an awesome responsibility over the mission and well being of my Marines. Any failures of my Marines or my operation well, the buck stopped with me and any failures of my Marines were my own. A much different respect from up and down also was apparent. Its like all of a sudden I was considered the go to guy with all the right answers.

Lock-n-Load
12-10-04, 02:31 PM
:marine: Made PFC at Boot Camp [Mar51]....after being in Korea for 4 months [10Nov51] made Corporal....one year outta Parris Island was promoted to buck/Sgt aboard a US Navy LST #1068...it took 7 LSTs to transport the entire 1st Tank Bn [125 Tanks]from the Eastern Front to the Western Front [Mar52]...due to Marine KIAs and WIAs..if your Skipper thought you could handle your responsibilities; you got promoted fast under fire...I never let the Skipper[s] down...yes, making buck/Sgt was a big deal with me...I had a crew of 5 to lookout for now and a $500,000 M46A1 Patton Tank to command, yeah, 1 yr outta Parris Island, I got promoted to buck/Sgt on ALMAR #15...I still have the warrant to this day:marine:

Sparrowhawk
12-10-04, 03:05 PM
It sure did change me....

Made me care more for the troops, making sure their needs, supplies, pay, family matters were taken care...

But mostly, once I pinned on those sgt. stripes, I began to pick on a different class of wimen, not just the ones that wore miniskirts, and had tattoos.

Why, I even gave up some names to the Corporal, and PFC's and only picked up on women that drank from a glass from there on.

Yes sir; no more beer bottle drinking women for me once I made sgt.

Of course after I left the service I went back to my old ways... LMAO....

Sgt Morales, AM
12-10-04, 03:20 PM
Ever since I made Sergeant I have been more laid back. My work ethics are still the same, but now I let the junior Marines handle the bulk of the duty.
When I first joined (PFC) I looked up to my Sgts. LCPL-CPL, Sgts where more like my peers. Now that I am the Sgt, I want to be able to help my Marines so they can look up to me. I never want to be known as that lazy, good-for-nothing Sergeant. I always lead by example and demonstrate the highest level of professionalism.

OohRahh Sergeants!!! :banana:

vfm
12-10-04, 04:02 PM
Making Sergeant gave me a certain sense of pride and a sense of accomplishment. But one rule I made for myself was never to order my subordinates to do anything that I would not do myself.
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

Abe's
12-10-04, 05:37 PM
Yes, I remember when I picked up Sergeant. Came as a big surprise to me, because frankly, I got it for reenlisting for my second hitch! I didn't even ask for it; I just woke up one morning hung over fierce and thought, "hell this ain't a bad life, I'll reenlist and stay Marine." So I went to see my Career Planner, about a month later sworn in, and the next thing you know my CommO is reading me my promotion warrant! Talked about being floored by this.

Did it changed me. Hell yes it did. And I loved it. For me the three ranks I loved having was Lance Corporal, Sergeant, and First Sergeant.

Sixguns
12-10-04, 07:10 PM
The rank of Sergeant is one of the most prized ranks. At this point you are a senior NCO and you are viewed much differently. As a Cpl., you are not a seasoned NCO. As a Sgt., you are one peg away from becoming a Staff NCO. I think that it is a great position to be in and one that many strive to achieve. True leadership and responsibility come at this level.

SF

Sixguns

HardJedi
12-10-04, 07:26 PM
well, it WOULD have changed me. A little TOO much, which is yet one more reason I did not re-enlist. I got in enough trouble for fraternizing with privates through Lcpl as it was. I enjoyed being one of the guys too much I guess.

Toby M
12-10-04, 07:53 PM
Nah, I remained the same sweet and loveable guy that I was before I became a three striper...I do remember though, I never had KP or any extra duty until I became a Sgt. This was after I got back stateside. I was stuck being barracks NCO at least once a month for 9 months 'till I mustered out. I didn't even live on base...

Sgted
12-10-04, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
I enjoyed being one of the guys too much I guess.

This was my only problem after making E-5 on Okinawa.
My Company CO called me in his office for a little talk on no hanging out with the E-4's and below anymore.
Still, I was proud and accepted the extra responsibility without a problem. I earned Sgt and walked the walk.
However, I would leave the Marines in a year or so.

I'm still a Sgt and would rather lead then follow.
My friends & family need to remind me every once-in-awhile that they're not troops.

bobpage
12-11-04, 12:36 PM
Yes it did. It made me realize that I wanted to be a Staff Sergeant.

jinelson
12-11-04, 12:46 PM
Hello Bob where in the Bay Area do you live I'm down in Newark.

Old Marine
12-12-04, 09:10 AM
Sgt was a great rank to hold (matter of fact I was a Sgt for 10 years) (5 years as Buck Sgt and 5 years as Sgt E-5) Needles to say back then you had to really have a high cutting score to make the grade. The only thing that saved me was going to DI School and becoming a DI. Don't know how it is today, but used to be you could really make rank on the field if you kept your nose clean. Used to volunteer for Parade Adjutant on Staff NCO parades and really enjoyed being a Parade Adjutant. Maybe it was because you get to move around alot.

Barlow
12-13-04, 09:23 AM
Making Sgt E-5 didn't change me much because I was already running a rifle squad in Nam as a Corporal .

Sgt. Smitty
12-13-04, 10:26 AM
My role as Sgt. didn't kick in until lately,when i was asked by some friends that I've know since High school to have a talk with their son. He is a Dessert Storm veteran and is having some serious issues with his past experiences. (He shot and killed a raghead that he supposedly made "friends" with during a suicide attack on his unit.) My role as Sgt. has never been more defined than it is now. We had a loooonnng, serious talk, and when he found out that I could not only get into his head, but was already there he finally opened up and we had a great heart-to-heart talk that lasted nearly 3 hours. He is now in the process of getting help through the VA, but always calls and talks to me when he is having one of his not-so-good days. I'M ON A MISSION NOW, and maybe one of the most improtant ones of my life.

Namvet67
12-13-04, 10:43 AM
Way to go Smitty...Good luck with you mission and welcome back

MillRatUSMC
12-13-04, 11:50 AM
I made E-5 at Edison Range, Camp Pendleton after being in Vietnam in 1965 for four months as a Corporal and E-6 in Vietnam in 1967.
I knew the responsibilities of being an NCO, so it didn't effect me too much.
I had a great leader in 1st. Lt. Frank S. Reasoner USMC while I was in Bravo 3rd Recon before Vietnam.
I think that I took some of his leadership into my being.
He was always a level-head leader, and a great role model to follow.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

jinelson
12-13-04, 12:19 PM
Whoah MillRat you had one of the best role models and leaders the Corps produced, 1st Lt. Frank Reasoner my Marine Corps League Post is named in his honor. For those that havent heard of Lt. Frank S. Reasoner he was KIA in the NAM saving his Marines that were hit and received the Congressional Medal of Honor. I wish that I could have had served under a leader like that.

Semper Fi
Jim

MillRatUSMC
12-13-04, 12:36 PM
Yes, it was a great honor to have served under Lt. Reasoner command from 1963 to 1965.
On the 1st Marine Brigade getting orders to Vietnam, on our arrival on Okinawa, many of of the line companies found themselves short of NCO's.
I next found myself a squad leader in India 3/4 a few days before we departed for Vietnam...the rest was history as they say.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Carl V. Strout
12-13-04, 12:41 PM
Good afternoon old Marine my hat goes off to you my my all those hash marks reminds me of my brother Philip he was 1st Sgt.Allso had over 2o yrs service. This is so great i have another message from Marine . Com. flashing on my screen We will soon have a Platoon meeting here.
We have a precious thing going here
Got bless
Semper Fi
Buckeye if thats top rateing or is it Gunny Sgt. i forget. Any way he was on Iwo & allso served on USS Ranger prior i think close 2 WW2 .My neighbor served on same ship he was allso top rateing there both 84 yrs of age now

Thanks for your service

MillRatUSMC
12-13-04, 12:44 PM
Forgot to say; in 2000 when I was in Virgina at the invitation of a Marine officer.
We took in Marine Corps Base Quantico and we did a tour of OCS and Basic School.
At the Basic School there's a Hall named after 1st. Lt. Frank Stanley Reasoner USMC Medal of Honor recipent.
The Marine Officer who invited me, wanted to make sure that I did not miss seeing that hall.
We also took in the "Evening Parade" at 8th and I Marine Barracks.
One of two times that I took in the "Evening Parade".

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Carl V. Strout
12-13-04, 12:45 PM
Hello Sgted
Great going what yr were you on Okinawa?
Merry Christmas to Ya
Buckeye
Semper Fi.

Sgted
12-13-04, 01:04 PM
Hey Carl V Strout.......

I was stationed in Okinawa from early '70 to early '71 with;

Truck Co.
3rd Service Battalion.
3rd Marine Division.
Camp Hansen.

Not only did I drive trucks, I was also the Embarkation NCO and the base NCO club advisor for a short time.

You there at the same time ?.

Carl V. Strout
12-13-04, 01:22 PM
Hello Millrat
Thanks for your service My Marine brother Phil was at Quanitco in 1943 when i was going to Hospital Corp School in Portsmouth Va. close to Norfolk Va. He was allso at Little Creak Va, Pendleton CA.
Another message on screen another Marine Buddie
Merry Christmas. Thanks again to each & everyone who shared a part of their life away from family who believed in aserving their Country. I certinally shed a some tears at the various monuments on my trip to Washington about 10 yrs back with Seniors from my area on a bus trip The Viet Nam wall sure made me appreciate so very much personally for all who served in that operation.& got such a sad greeting across our countrywhen they came home i felt it shamefull for our Nation do do such a disservice to all that served there. Praise God for all who got that wall completed. There were about 50 buses full of school children visiting at same time from across America it made me so happy never will forget it that those youngsters got to witness the Viet Nam Wall.
I feel every American should make that journey before they depart this earth
Thanks for Listening

Buckeye