PDA

View Full Version : Second award shooting badge ?

G.L.B.
12-09-04, 09:19 PM
When you have a second award for expert rifle, and no pistol badge, do you still center it over the breast pocket, or does it move it to the right (as you wear it) of the pocket? Mine is hanging over my dress blue pocket button. It doesn't look right.

Silva0311
12-09-04, 10:05 PM
Hey G.L.B.

Yea i know it looks weird with only one badge, but thats the way its supposed to be. i had the same problem until i got sent to P.M.I. school and got my pistol badge, that solved my problem

killer1on1
12-16-04, 11:25 PM
P.M.I school??? cool! right now im a range coach over here in okinawa and got my second award on the rifle and then sharpshooter with the pistol! every time i wear my Alpha's everybody asks how i got a pistol badge when i am only a Lcpl!!!

cajunguy
12-16-04, 11:49 PM
Killer

You think you get questioned - I wore a pistol badge as a Pfc.

Job assignment/MOS got it for me. In the early 60's, as Ontos crewman, we were issued M1911's along with our M-1 Garands and later the M-14's.

We got to wear both rifle and pistol badges.

Husker35
12-17-04, 12:01 AM
Do they not let pfc`s or lcpl`s qual very often with the pistol? I had both as a pfc. I was in security forces, 91-93 before going to 29 Palms. It seemed like only the security force guys had both.

cajunguy
12-17-04, 12:12 AM
Phewee Husker, you're talking waaaay past my time. (I got out in
1968.)

Back in the 60's (damn, I'm startin' to feel old again) we did familiarization firing (only) with the .45. MOS and assignment would then determine if you carried/qualified with the pistol. Yep security forces/MP's/tankers/Staff NCO's/etc. were authorized and qual'd with pistols as well as rifles.

It all depended on your MOS and the authorized TOE. Some did - most didn't.

Husker35
12-17-04, 12:17 AM
68? Man you must be old! Just jokin. I think the uniform looks much better with both badges. There were alot of jealous E4`s and E5`s when I got to the fleet

cajunguy
12-17-04, 12:31 AM
OLD !! Hey watch it guy. (Just jokin'.)

Like I tell my kids, "If you're REEEAL lucky, you MIGHT live as long as I have." LOL

Have a good weekend.

greensideout
01-01-05, 04:50 PM
Hey cajunguy, tell the young'ins what an Ontos is. lol

Sparrowhawk
01-01-05, 05:46 PM
In Vietnam we tried to get a second award for a pistol badge, but after the second guy was hit. They said, we'll have to wait until we got back statesides.

http://marines.bizland.com/target.jpg

greensideout
01-01-05, 05:58 PM
Hummm, maybe the Ontos should be brought back with a retro-fit.

Remove the .50 cal Browning spotter and replace with a laser site.

Mount a mini-gun where it was.

The 106's would be good enemy cover removal devices.

Hello Pentagon, are you listening?

(Remember, you heard it first on Leatherneck.com) :D

greensideout
01-01-05, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by G.L.B.
When you have a second award for expert rifle, and no pistol badge, do you still center it over the breast pocket, or does it move it to the right (as you wear it) of the pocket? Mine is hanging over my dress blue pocket button. It doesn't look right.

What does a "second award for expert rifle" look like?

When we did a re-qual we simply wore what we earned.

If it was expert again then the badge remained the same. If not we wore the sharpshooter or marksman badge.

An aside; I was given '03 cross rifles when I qualified in boot with the M-1. It is sterling silver and of course I still have it.