PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Shelters Getting Iraq Vets

snipowsky
12-08-04, 07:28 AM
United Press International
December 8, 2004

WASHINGTON - Veterans of the war in Iraq are starting to show up at homeless shelters, experts say.

"When we already have people from Iraq on the streets, my God," said Linda Boone, executive director of the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans. "I have talked to enough (shelters) to know we are getting them. It is happening and this nation is not prepared for that."

Some homeless-veteran advocates fear that similar combat experiences in Vietnam and Iraq mean that these first few homeless veterans from Iraq are the crest of a wave not seen since the Vietnam era.

"This is what happened with the Vietnam vets. I went to Vietnam," said John Keaveney, chief operating officer of New Directions, a shelter and drug-and-alcohol treatment program for veterans in Los Angeles. "It is like watching history being repeated," Keaveney said.

Experts said the high number of Iraq vets with mental illness seems almost certain to fuel the problem.

Data from the Department of Veterans Affairs shows that as of last July, nearly 28,000 veterans from Iraq sought health care from the VA. One out of every five was diagnosed with a mental disorder, according to the VA. An Army study in the New England Journal of Medicine in July showed that 17 percent of service members returning from Iraq met screening criteria for major depression, generalized anxiety disorder or PTSD.

hrscowboy
12-08-04, 10:13 AM
Damn it i knew this was going to happen i have to agree with you snip what we should have done is nuke the bastards and all this would be over...