PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on aviation field...

eicyak
12-06-04, 10:10 PM
Hey, I am considering going into aviation and just wanted to know more about what's involved in getting into the field and what to expect once in. Specifically, I am looking into the Cobra helicopters, but any info on any aircraft would be appreciated.
;)

Pel
12-07-04, 08:38 PM
I dont know anything about military aviation maintenance but I do know alot on civillian alot of my friends started off by wrenching on planes in the airforce army Marine Corps... they did some pretty cool stuff while they were in and contributed alot by studying there knowledge instead of going out drinking graduated tops of there classes and contributed majorly to aviation One solved an overheating problem that many before him could not solve and he did it in two hours. All these men when they got out because of there dedication and love of airplanes found jobs imediatly in the civillian world and after a few years working up from near the bottom they had everything they want and had gotten there piolets licenes from the GI Bill. they are on top of the world... Have you heard of the Lost Sqaudron? look it up one of them was responsible for helping bring up a B-17 I think and P-38s from under 250 feet of ice. They have everything they want and they love there jobs what more could you ask for? Just instead of going out partying study STUDY really it does alot graduate high in your class and doors will open you never knew were there... I think that applys to everything

Pel

rockhopper
12-07-04, 08:59 PM
I was a communications/navigations technician on A-6E's and EA-6B's. If you have any specific questions, toss 'em my way and I'll try to help you with what I know!

I can certainly avow that the knowledge learned, and the title of Marine certainly helped me land a fantastic job afterwards. I was hired by ITT Industries at Vandenberg AFB in California to work with telemetry equipment used on the spacecraft that we launched from there. We were heavily involved in the test launches of ICBM's from there too. Great job!

yellowwing
12-07-04, 09:12 PM
Vandenburg! Sheet, you guys scared the crap out of us one weekend.

We were at a Marine keg party outside El Toro in '85, when Vandenburg test fired a rocket. Of course we didn't know before hand. We thought it was the start of Armegeddon.

We all stood there mouth agape and beer in hand, watching a missile launch. Finally Bill Niles said, "Well what do you think we should do?"

Someone finally had the bright idea to turn on the news. We freakin' lost our beer buzz for about twenty minutes!

On a serious note, the air frame and power plant mechanics had a great working relationship with the aviation officers. Those officers knew who kept them flying!

rockhopper
12-07-04, 09:26 PM
Yep, a Titan III launch will rattle some windows. Hell, if you can feel 'em at El Toro, imagine how it is at VAFB base housing! My dogs hated 'em!

And luckily the Minutemen and Peacekeeper only had dummy warheards, packed with our telemetry junk. Still, it's good to make the Russians nervous... :evilgrin:

airframesguru
12-08-04, 06:18 AM
Cobras rocked! The engine cowling pins used be a bit*& to get out. If you do the cobra you get the huey. They we fun as well.

Mike