PDA

View Full Version : Somehow or another

Eaglestrikes
12-06-04, 07:30 PM
there always ends up a Marine being involved.

Canada - AFP

AWOL US soldier pleas for refuge in Canada

Mon Dec 6, 1:51 PM ET Canada - AFP

TORONTO (AFP) - A US soldier who walked out on the 82nd Airborne Division and his country after learning he was being sent to Iraq (news - web sites), launched a long-shot bid for political refuge in Canada.

Jeremy Hinzman, 26, a veteran of the US-led war in Afghanistan (news - web sites), appeared before Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) to formally plead that he would face persecution if sent home to the United States.

"I was in a culture that looked upon the army as a good thing to do. The missions that they carried out were with the aim of (doing) good and spreading democracy," South Dakota-born Hinzman said.

"To me that was more meaningful than just working in the workaday world," said Hinzman, who admitted he also enlisted for four years in January 2001 to take advantage of a US army college sponsorship fund.

His case, and that of another fugitive American soldier Brandon Hughey, has ignited controversy and some sympathy in Canada, which opposed the Iraq war and refused to send troops to the conflict.

But it has also raised fears that a positive ruling could spark a flood of US deserters across the border, as the toll of the Iraq war and occupation, which has already cost more than 1,000 US lives, deepens.

Odds against a decision favourable to Hinzman however, are seen as slim, as no such verdict has ever been handed down to a US soldier who sought refuge in Canada.

The former soldier appeared at the IRB, wearing a black sweater and brown pants, still with a short military-style haircut, accompanied by his Laotian-born wife Nga Nguyen and three-year-old son Liam.

Outside, a knot of anti-war supporters, some waving banners reading "Let him stay" braved a blizzard to cheer as he entered the building.

Early arguments on Monday covered legal arguments over evidence to be admitted in the hearing, expected to last three days.

Hinzman was later expected to explain why he quit the US army, and a US Marine Corps sergeant was due to be called by his lawyer to detail alleged war crimes by US soldiers in Iraq to back up the plea.
The IRB was set up to consider the merits of refugee claims at arms length from the Canadian government.

Presiding member Brian Goodman will judge whether Hinzman would face persecution if sent back to the United States by dint of his political or religious beliefs or his status as an objector to US military action.

The judgement will also question whether Hinzman will face "cruel and unusual" punishment, during what would likely be a long prison term if he was sent back to duty.

Hinzman decided to flee to Canada earlier this year, after the US military denied his request for conscientious objector status in 2003 and he told him he was to be deployed to Iraq.

His hopes for asylum, and also those of his compatriot Hughey were dented after Goodman ruled earlier this year that the question of whether the Iraq war was legal had no bearing on his claim.
Ya know, personally I say let em go. I remember the ones that did it in the 60's to avoid NAM. Cowards. WHO needs them? I don't and I don't think the Country needs them either.
The Media jumps on stories like this because it re-enforces their attempts to change the situation, make President Bush look bad, and create the impression the Battle in Iraq is a bad thing. They wish to do as they did in the 60's, show a rising resentment and resistance to the War and the Battle in Iraq.
What we have here is plain out, a Coward, as to the Marine.
One. I would need proof he is or was one.
Two. I would need a history to tell me if he was a Good Marine or one that got Court martial ed or faced other disciplinary actions.
Three. Is he indeed a Sgt?
I don't trust the media, I trust the Canadians even less and turncoats not at all.

greensideout
12-06-04, 08:29 PM
Yes, I say let him go too.

He should however, be required to attend any funeral of a member of his unit that was KIA when he was AWOL.

He did serve in Afghanistan to his credit. Prehaps he found war repulsive, even more credit to him!

To run to Canada was not the correct response to his aversion to the war in Iraq. He was a soldier who had a commitment and obligation to those that served with him. He turned his back on them and America.

For that, he should never return!

Arlene Horton
12-06-04, 09:51 PM
Let him stay in Canada. We don't need a coward who is reneging on his oath to defend the United States. There are a great many reserves who are spending more time in Iraq than they expected and will probably spend a lot more time honoring their commitment to serve. As far as that "Marine"...that calls for real proof. Too bad there are such a##h###s like him and not enough like our Marine brothers & the other members of the coalition forces. Semper Fi and prayers for our heroes.

MillRatUSMC
12-06-04, 11:25 PM
Everything says &quot;let them go!&quot; but that would open the floods gates...and many would follow their lead. <br />
That we must not allow...he signed for the college bennies, now he seeks an out from his moral...

snipowsky
12-07-04, 12:06 AM
Freaking cowards!

cockscap70
12-07-04, 12:50 AM
Believe me, They (deserter's) aren't worth worrying about. Along will come a president who will pardon them anyway. So for now keep the faith, and Semper Fi!

mrbsox
12-07-04, 06:14 AM
Just another case of the
'your decisions don't carry any consequenses'
mentality that are hurting the fabric of society.

'If I make a decision today, I can renig on it tomorrow, if it is to my advantage'

BS to 'let him go'. I agree we don't need him (them) in the ranks, but we also need to stand to the fact that people are responsible for their actions. If more (young) people start becoming responsible, the WORLD will be a better place.
These are the people that will be our next elected officials, OR be elected by this irresponsible generation.

We've seen what happens when a 'flip flopper' gets into public office, do we want an entire generation of them??

DSchmitke
12-07-04, 06:24 AM
Let the coward stay in canada. When wants to return bust his butt for being a deserter and throw him in the brig.

jinelson
12-07-04, 10:26 AM
I say let him stay in Canada he is no different than the draft dodger pukes in the 60's. He has brought dishonor to himself, his uniform and his country. I only hope that our nation never foregives his act, like we did the draft dodgers of the Nam era. Like our great President has said "You are either with us or you are against us". I have read too many stories like this lately and I am heartend only by all the true young American patriots that disagree with his act and serve with honor. As for the Marine I find it hard to believe that a Marine NCO would be involved unless there as Eaglestrikes noted he is in some sort trouble himself.

Semper Fi
Jim

USMCrow
12-07-04, 11:22 AM
snatch him up, lock him up and then deport him to canada when his sentence is over; never to return to the USA. he doesn't deserve to be given any leeway in view of his cowardice and betrayal to his fellow soldiers. if the army doesn't do something quick, there will be no dogfaces to man the trenches.

Eaglestrikes
12-07-04, 06:59 PM
Navy man says No! (http://www.foxnews.com/tonysnow/)

Pablo Paredes, a Class Petty officer in the US Navy, refused to get on a ship transporting Marines to Iraq because he believed the war was wrong. "So why the hell did you join the military?" Tony asked
Even Tony Snow was doing it. The response he got form Moms and Dads with Sons and Daughters over there was tremendous. I don't think he'll do it again.
Aparently some one else shares m low opinion of the media.
Poll on Media (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000732750)

Reporters Trail Badly (Again) in ANavynnual Poll on Honesty and Ethics

By Greg Mitchell

Published: December 07, 2004 11:00 AM ET

NEW YORK Once again, newspaper reporters score poorly in the annual Gallup Poll, released today, on “honesty and ethical standards” in various professions, as judged by the American public. They rank even lower than bankers, auto mechanics, elected officials, and nursing-home operators.

To put this in perspective: Newspaper reporters are even less respected than their TV counterparts.

Somehow, however, they top lawyers, car salesmen, and ad directors. And they also edge business executives and congressmen.

Nurses top the list as most honest and ethical.

If there's any good news for newspapers, it's that since 2000, the number of those saying that reporters have high or very high ethical standards has climbed from 16% to 21%. In 2000, reporters were behind even lawyers in that category.

All in all, in the current survey, Gallup found that 5% of the sample gave newspaper journos very high marks for honesty, 16% high, 50% average, and 28% low or very low.

So one positive way to look at it is that 71% said that at least reporters displayed average or above honesty and ethics. Even so, they were way down the list.

At the top, 79% gave nurses high or very high marks. Other categories, in order: grade school teachers, pharmacists, military officers, doctors, police officers, clergy, judges, day-care providers, bankers, auto mechanics, local officeholders, nursing home operators, state officeholders, TV reporters, and then newspaper reporters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Mitchell (gmitchell@editorandpublisher.com) is the editor of E&P.

Nagalfar
12-07-04, 08:20 PM
USMCrow I agree, you can't let things like this just keep going unchecked, I do believe this is desertion pure and simple, and a case could even be made this is giving aid to the enemy based on what he has said about the war in Iraq, if these problems are left unchecked, it will only grow worse, at some point someone has to strap on a set of balls and say enough is enough, we are going to move back to rule of law.. I say some federal time, then tattoo America rules all over him.. then airdrop him into the heart of Iran (he was 82nd Airborne after all!).. let the Mullahs show him why he should have been fighting them!

yellowwing
12-07-04, 08:39 PM
My wife and I got into a heated argument about this a few weeks ago. She grew up in British Columbia and actually helped hide a draft dodger in the early 70s.

I tried telling her about owing your Nation a debt for the freedom we all enjoy. Well the argument made zero headway, so I ended up back here on Leatherneck posting and PM'ing for about two hours.

greensideout
12-07-04, 08:54 PM
LOL yellowwing. During Nam, (because I was there so early and had a different view about it then most who feed off the news as the war changed) would have those "lively discussions" with may wife---lol---we would be so mad at each other that we could not even be in the same room together---lol. Still married today. :)

Eaglestrikes
12-08-04, 05:59 PM
Former Marine Testifies To Atrocities In Iraq
Washington Post - Free Registration Required (TORONTO DEC. 08)

A former U.S. Marine staff sergeant testified at a hearing Tuesday that his unit killed at least 30 unarmed civilians in Iraq during the war in 2003 and that Marines routinely shot and killed wounded Iraqis. Jimmy J. Massey, a 12 year veteran, said he left Iraq in May 2003 after a diagnosis of post traumatic stress. He said he and his men shot and killed four Iraqis staging a demonstration and a man with his hands up trying to surrender, as well as women and children at roadblocks. Massey said he had complained to his superiors about the "killing of innocent civilians," but that nothing was done. Massey, 33, of Waynesville, N.C., was the chief witness at a refugee board hearing for a U.S. Army deserter, Jeremy Hinzman, who is attempting to win asylum in Canada after he fled from Fort Bragg, N.C., rather than go to Iraq. Hinzman, 25, the first of at least three U.S. military deserters to apply for asylum here, argues that he refused to go to Iraq to avoid committing war crimes.
O. K. Everybody that believes it raise your hand.
God! This is so similiar to the Liars Kerry put togetherfor Winter soldier. I wonder if he has a hand in this. Change the War, the words are the same.
I have one word for him. LIAR.

James F. Owings
03-09-05, 07:57 PM
We should all remember the countless Canadians who came to the U.S. to join American military and go to Vietnam (9th Marines went in 40 years ago today...) I met my first one at AFEES the day that I was sworn into the 120 delay program.

Kid's name was Rob Hobby... from Vancouver Island. Was going to stay at Y... I took him home and he spent the night with my family. Just one of a number of Canadians that came down... some for ideological reasons... some because peacetime "square bashing" in Canadian forces not for them... Some for adventure.

When the survivors got home they were largely ignored by their fellow Canadians and treated as "mercenary scum" by their government.

Let the non-hackers go to Canada... we get much better human material from them...