PDA

View Full Version : Local Marines take part in 2004 Reindeer Run 5-K

thedrifter
12-06-04, 09:10 AM
Local Marines take part in 2004 Reindeer Run 5-K
2004-12-06
by Patricia Grames Pollock

Daily Times Correspondent

It's safe to say that all 278 runners who took part in the 2004 Reindeer Run 5-K that started and finished near the Ruby Tuesday Corporate Center Sunday afternoon were thrilled to have about 90 Marines from Delta Company, 4th CEB out of the Navy Marine Corps Reserve Center in Knoxville, join them to run the third leg of the Ruby Tuesday 2004 Triple Crown of Racing.

According to Captain Tim Eichhorn from Maryville, they decided to vary their weekend drill somewhat.

``We have a lot of local Marines (in the company),'' he explained. ``Some of them are getting ready to go overseas shortly, so we thought we'd take advantage of getting out in the public. The public supports us so well, we'd like to extend it back.''

Eichhorn said that running is a big part of a Marine's physical training routine. They are required to complete three miles in 22 minutes.

They weren't running for time in the race, however. The idea was to stay in formation all along the rather difficult 3.1 mile race course.

Lance Cpl. Jeff Kiebert from Maryville, who has been in the Marine Reserves for a year and a half, hadn't been a runner prior to joining up.

``It's strictly the Marine Corps that made me decide to run,'' he said.

He wasn't complaining, however.

``I enjoy the Marine Corps and the pride that goes with it. I feel proud to be running in this race,'' he said.

They drew cheers from all the spectators as they ran and chanted in cadence.

``It brought tears to my eyes,'' said Barbara Caldwell, a member of the Foothills Striders Club who was working the race.

The first overall male was Alan Horton of Maryville, 24, with a winning time of 15:45.

Horton almost didn't make it. He got right off a plane returning from Mexico and was driven to the race site directly from the airport by his sister.

Although he didn't set a personal record on the hilly, challenging course, he was pleased with his time.

``I think the tequila helped,'' he said with a laugh.

Jasmin Keller, 35, of Knoxville was the first overall female. Her time was 18:27.

``It's a nice day out here,'' she said. ``This is the best I've felt on this course. It's normally cold here (at this time of year). Today is perfect weather. It's nice to feel so nice on this course.''

Grae Hinds, 19 of Maryville placed third in the16-19 male age group with a time of 22:38, beating his fa-ther, Jody, 54, who was second in the 50-54 male age group.

``This (tough) course doesn't have much Christmas spirit,'' Hinds complained.

Lauren Barnes, 10 of Walland was first in the female 1-11 age group with a time of 23:06. Lisa Waters, 16 of Maryville, placed first in the 16-19 age group with a time of 23:53.

Beth Coppenger, 31 of Maryville crossed the finish line first in the 30-34 age group with a time of 22:23. Jeanie Garman, 38 of Maryville was third in her age group with a time of 23:58, followed by Patty Burchfield, 39 of Walland whose time was 25:06 and Daisy Knippen, 38 of Maryville, who had a time of 26:53.

Deng Shao-Qing, 60 of Maryville won the 60-69 male age group posting a time of 23:53.

The 70-99 male age group was dominated by men from Maryville. Charles Kern, 76 placed first with a time of 27:05, followed by Michael Sexton, 72 whose time was 32:32. Chuck Pollock, 73 finished third with a time of 39:38.

Runners who had finished the race along with numerous spectators watched and applauded as the bulk of the Marine company crossed the finish line, still singing.

Everyone seemed to share Alan Horton's feelings.

``I'm proud of the Marines,'' he said.

Ellie