PDA

View Full Version : The Ambush Of Echo Company 2/4

jinelson
12-04-04, 04:13 PM
I found this on the net and want to share it with everyone here at Leatherneck. Nine Marines and their navy corpsman were killed in Ar-Ramadi, Iraq on April 6, 2004. Of the ten killed five were from California and two of those were from my home town area. I attended both LCpl Travis Layfield and LCpl Kyle Crowley's memorial services. The media really did a nice job on this for a change. Check out the link below, I think you will all agree.

Semper Fi
Jim

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/special_packages/echo_company/

snipowsky
12-04-04, 05:12 PM
I just recently went to a Veterans Day memorial service for one of those Marines killed with E/2/4, Marine Corps Pfc. Deryk L. Hallal. I met his parents and a few of his comrades that were there that day. I didn't really know what to say to his family except I told his dad he was my brother too and he will be greatly missed and never forgotten.

His mother was very anti-military until her son joined the Marines. But then she told us she changed her mind when Deryk joined the Marines. Then she understood what patriotism was all about. It's not about wanting to fight in a war or kill. It's about defending your nation and defending your fellow brothers she told us. I've had days I was proud to be a Marine, but she made me feel even more proud that day.

His mother is a strong woman. Didn't even shed a tear or burst out crying for him. She knows where he is, guarding the streets and gates of heaven.

Thanks for posting that Staff Sgt. Jinelson. Words can't describe the emotions I was feeling that day of his memorial service meeting his family and Marine comrades that was there that day he died. I only wish I could have been there that terrible day to have their back.

http://www.militarycity.com/valor/images/zzhallal-deryk.JPG

Marine Corps Pfc. Deryk L. Hallal
My fellow Hoosier and Marine brother RIP

Semper Fi 4th Marines!

jinelson
12-04-04, 06:46 PM
Snipowsky, LCpl Layfield's mom Diane is a strong woman too. She has made made many public speech's in support of Marines and at our cities Veterans Day memorial she gave the pledge of allegiance and spoke about her son. And when Echco 2/4 came home to Camp Pendleton she was there to meet them. She has devoted her time to Operation Mom and that organization does some real cool stuff for our brothers serving in the sand box. I too wish I could have been there to cover them, may they rest in peace.