PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Marines So Loyal

Namvet67
12-02-04, 07:59 AM
Why do we talk about it? What is it that makes us so focused on what we are? Was this instilled in us in boot camp or were we that way before? Why don't other branches have the same comradeship as the Corps...or do they? Have you ever seen a Marine that is not proud of who he or she is?

Sgt0811
12-02-04, 09:49 AM
I believe that it is instilled in us in boot camp. It gets reenforced as we continue our tour of active duty.
I have not seen it in any other branch of service.
However, I am going to be sure that my son, who has joined the Navy as a Corpsman, gets it. He wanted to be assigned to the Marines as a Corpsman. When he leaves in Jan. 05 for his training he will know how to do things the Marine way. He will be able to salute like you are supposed to, not some lame arm crap.

:marine:

USMC-FO
12-02-04, 09:53 AM
Good question:

Personnally I think it is learned/earned in boot camp and once received it is there forever and proudly worn. What specificlly brings this sense of pride as a Marine to an individual may come at diffferent points for different people but at some point we all know we are something special. When I see other Marines I always make a point to speak to them, if only to say "Semper Fi" I have met a lot of great people this way. I also always have a personal sense when I am around and with other Marines that no matter what my back is covered.

jinelson
12-02-04, 09:57 AM
Ya know gbudd you got me thinking. I would say that personally I did not posess that quality prior to boot camp. I dont remember any one thing that happened to instill it in me either. I think that it was many things that happened by way of team building starting in boot camp and continuing on through my enlistments. You know like only being as fast as the slowest man, never leaving our dead behind, always watching your brothers six and on and on. I have never met a Marine that was not proud or that I didnt like. We sure arent like the army of one, of individuals we are Marines. Call me predjudiced if ya want but thats the way I am.

LivinSoFree
12-02-04, 11:32 AM
Personally, while I agree that most of it comes with the pride of belonging and owning the Title, at least for me, it was somewhat instilled in me before I set foot on the Island. Then again, that's probably the result of an extraordinary high school teacher and Senior Naval Sci Instructor, Col. T.P. Finnerty, USMC (ret.). I owe him a lot.

airframesguru
12-02-04, 01:34 PM
I concur with all the above. I have noticed that in addition to that, we are (or at least I am) constantly reminded by others and they expect "Marine" things/mentallity from me. We are called out by those who know that a Marine will perform and can be trusted, or that will protect them if the situation arises.

The feelling on get from that is a huge compliment. And is never turned down.

My training started before boot camp. Dad was a Vietnam vet H-34 Crew Chief). He got me started early on. Respect, work ethics, etc.. I will never forget it or him or the Corps!

Doc Crow
12-02-04, 01:47 PM
Why do you all think it is only Marine Guards at the White House other then the Uniformed Division of the Secret Service. Gotta be something there

Sgted
12-02-04, 01:58 PM
This says alot.......

But the most outstanding custom in the Marine Corps is simply "being a Marine" and all that it implies. Call it morale, call it esprit de corps, call it what you will--it is that pride which sets a United States Marine apart from the men of other armed services. It is not taught in manuals, yet it is the most impressive lesson a recruit learns in boot camp. It is not tangible, yet it has won fights against material odds. Perhaps it has best been defined by Senator Paul H. Douglas:

"Those of us who have had the priviledge of serving in the Marine Corps value our experience as among the most precious of our lives. The fellowship of shared hardships and dangers in a worthy cause creates a close bond of comradeship. It is the basic reason for the cohesiveness of Marines and for the pride we have in our corps and our loyalty to each other."

A Marine is proud of his Corps and believes it to be second to none. He is loyal to his comrades and to the Marine Corps, adhering always to the motto Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful).

kentmitchell
12-02-04, 04:00 PM
Want to see a contrast, check out David Hackworth's website.
After reading some of that stuff I wonder how the army holds together.
www.hackworth.com

femalemarine_89
12-02-04, 05:00 PM
WOW.. that is a very good question.. But me as with some of the others here I actually think that we learn it and we keep it in us. Once we put on that uniform the whole world is different. We not only learn loyalty to the Corps, but the country and everything around it. I still live day to day life by Marine Corps value.. And I am sure alot of others on here do the same as well.. Very good question though. Will get alot of people thinking I imagine.

yellowwing
12-02-04, 05:55 PM
We talk about 'Earning the Title'. All through boot camp we are relentlessly trained and tested on the Ideals of our Corps.

Our fine Drill Instructors ensure that none may pass without these Ideals and Traits ingrained into our character.

When a Marine loses faith and character, they are held in contempt and shame. There was a Staff Sergeant in Quantico that was caught stealing cash during barracks inspections. Reduction to Private, 3 months confinement, and a BCD. That was over twenty years ago, but that individual still wears the title of Thief.

Serving Always Faithfully is to always have the title United States Marine. :marine:

vfm
12-02-04, 07:02 PM
The answer to this question is twofold. First it takes a special individual to want to go through the most demanding military training and be put through the most stringent discipline in the free world.Secondly, the Marine Corps through its training philosphy takes that individual and makes his/her strong points stronger and removes all weaknesses that the individual may have had shaping him or her into a team player to act as a unit but be able to survive on their own. Believe me 35years later itis still with you.
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

Namvet67
12-03-04, 08:55 AM
VMF...good post..it does take a special individual to WANT TO go through the most demanding military training...that thought came to mind many times when I was serving in Vietnam along side of a lot of Marines that were DRAFTED...I wanted to be a Marine and would do anything to earn the title...but those poor guys that were drafted must of had a tuff time...I wonder how they made it!

yellowwing
12-03-04, 09:55 AM
I've always wondered about that, gbudd. Did the draftees volunteer to be assigned to the Marine Corps? Or were they selected?

Namvet67
12-03-04, 10:03 AM
Yellowwing...they told me they were drafted into the Marines and were not given a choice. I'm sure we will hear more about this from some of the other Marines. I think the draft time was for 2 years rather than the standard 3 years.

femalemarine_89
12-03-04, 10:12 AM
I so have to keep up with this one cause it is interesting to see the different things that people have to say on this topic.