PDA

View Full Version : For all you Poolee's

Marzyn
11-25-04, 09:57 PM
I just got outa bootcamp (MCRD PI) Nov 24th, 2004 and I figure I'll try to help ya'll out with as much information as I can to hopefully help make up your mind to join. :)

If you got a question shoot and i'll do my best to answer it, gotta get it outa the way before i forget all the stuff we did.

Tips i've got would be run a lot before going, run at least 3 miles a day as often as you can, do pullups also, you'd be surprised how few people can actually do 10 or more pullups. When you get to whichever MCRD you're going to keep your eyes & ears open and your mouth shut until spoken too, then scream as loud as you possibly can. Do everything as fast as you possibly can, no matter what it is, do it with speed and intensity. Do EXACTLY what you're told, NO more, NO less. If you are told to get a canteen & bring it online and you do it then drop it, leave it :P trust me lol (as an example)

I don't really know what else to say except put out 100% every day, it'll save your life or your buddies life someday. The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in combat.

Let the questions fly~

Joe
Semper Fi

eicyak
11-25-04, 10:06 PM
You went to pi? I'm tring to figure out what happens if there's a hurricane. Are the sand fleas really that bad?:eek:

Marzyn
11-25-04, 10:11 PM
Friggin heck yea the sand fleas are that bad, holy friggin doggone crap man. I can't expound upon that enough, sand fleas SUCK, let's just say that :p

As for a hurricane, we had to pack for evacuation 3 times while I was there. If you're actually evacuated you're driven 19 hours on a bus to somewhere inland, I dunno where though, there's a book written by a LCpl, i think it's "Keeping the Faith." I haven't read it but my mom told me all about it, she bought a ton of USMC books and read them while I was gone lol :) In the book he wrote about his experience at PI and told about how he got evacuated & what happened etc.

Hope that helps!

Joe
Semper Fi

gilliegtst
11-26-04, 12:37 AM
all those years ago when i went to boot camp at PI, we had a hurricane, (can't remember the name of it), but we got shipped out to albany Georgia, Well that frikin sucked, we had to ride on the bus the whole way with our heads down on the seat in front of us, not allowed to look anywhere, and that was when i was in forming, wasn't even assigned a platoon yet...and yes the sand fleas, well lets just say, they have to eat too!!!hehe, but they aren't that bad in the winter...

Cpl G

snipowsky
11-26-04, 03:42 AM
There is sand fleas on Parris Island? Never would have imagined that! LMFAO!

yellowwing
11-26-04, 05:52 AM
You got that right, Marzyn!

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/sand-flea.gif

Nasty, nasty, nasty!

SuNmAN
11-26-04, 02:36 PM
ugh...do they sell any repellant at the PX for them?

Thank goodness I went to Camp Pendleton !

hrscowboy
11-26-04, 03:43 PM
you all should have tried them skeeters in nam when they came in they sounded like phantom jets them suckers where that big...

drillinstructor
11-26-04, 05:29 PM
SAND FLEAS BUILD CHARACHTER
You will find that out eic when you bury a few of them......hahahahahahahahhaha I love PI

jinelson
11-26-04, 05:41 PM
If you think the skeeters were big in Nam you shoulda seen the dang rats in the Nam you could ride em if ya could rope em.... LMAO By the way Marine congratulations Pvt. Marzyn on accomplishing what only a few do. You will enjoy most of your experiences from now on, believe me. Good luck to ya.

Semper Fi
Jim

Donald Bowers
11-26-04, 08:41 PM
I was a DI at Parris Island from 63 til 65 when I went to Nam. I never saw any sand fleas. They must have emported them in after I left.

farva
11-26-04, 09:25 PM
if you ever go to iraq sand fleas are pretty bad over there also

Marzyn
11-27-04, 10:09 AM
I never had to bury any sand fleas but one thing my kill hat liked to do was carry around a permanent marker and anytime someone killed a flea or mosquito he'd go "awww....why'd you do that?" and write "RIP" with a gravestone in huge letters with the permanent marker whereever the flea died :)

Joe
Semper Fi

Namvet67
11-27-04, 10:42 AM
Marzyn....your advise to the wannabes is right on...your are now qualified..congrats..looks like you learned something in bootcamp..mighty proud..Semper Fi Marine

gilliegtst
11-28-04, 07:39 PM
oh thats some funny frikin stuff marzyn...i love DI's man, there is no Marine that is more squared away than the DI...i still idolize mine to this day...

Cpl G