PDA

View Full Version : Why did you get out of the Corps

Namvet67
11-23-04, 11:40 AM
There's been lots of talk about why we joined the Corps and what it means to be a Marine etc. I often think about why I got out and I wonder if any others ever think about that. War time or peace...

Nagalfar
11-23-04, 12:40 PM
I think most of us still, and forever will wonder, what if. I didnt reup because I was not as smart then as I am now.. good thread gbudd..

hrscowboy
11-23-04, 01:08 PM
I got out because of all the Bull**** that was going on in the states after serving in Vietnam and my last duty station being cuba and had 3 months left they sent me to Marine Barracks North fork Virginia and all these people wanted to do was inspections 3 times a week and guard duty. after being there a week they asked me if i wanted to ship over and asked what do you have to offer they said another stripe and stateside duty and i told them i wasnt interested in state side duty. Then they said i could get an early out because of vietnam service and if i want to start checking out i could so thats exactly what i did. Took me 4 days to check out and got a 3 month early out. They couldnt give another war to fight so i said what the hell i am going home..

hrscowboy
11-23-04, 01:10 PM
Kinda sounds like Sgt York aint no wars to fight so i am going home...

Namvet67
11-23-04, 01:15 PM
No sounds like a Marine to me. I knew I would not be able to take the stateside duty after my time in the bush. I really didn't want to go to the east coast anyway.

Sgt Morales, AM
11-23-04, 01:16 PM
I haven't had a reason to leave...yet. I love the corps and will be in the Corps until I no longer have the urge to Run, Shoot, do sit-ups..etc. Semper Fi Do or Die. Great thread!

jinelson
11-23-04, 01:30 PM
Well that is a question that has long haunted me the old, what if. I considered myself a combat Marine don't laugh 03's and loved the adrenaline rush when our resupply convoy would get hit and I somehow would lead my Marines out without any officers or SNCO"s. I hated the stateside B.S. junk on the bunks, make work and what ever else the 90 day wonder butter bars could dream up. I shipped for two years just to return to Nam but by then it was 1971 and I could see that the war was winding down. I will never forget the look on the career advisors face when I told him I was going to cut the cord, he said your a career designated Marine and your on the Staff list. My mind was made up, I was out a little over a year and I got home sick and joined HQ CO. 25th Marines 4th MARDIV in Alameda, CA. as a non-obligore reservist. My precidence number had come up by then and I got pinned with my rocker and I was given the motor pool as their NCOIC. My drivers and mechanics were more civilians than Marines and after two and half years of being pi$$ed all the time I hung it up. I did try to reenlist when Gulf One came along, but of course I was over the age limit by then. I often think about the retirement bennies that I forefeited and wished that I could have stuck it out. But I will always be a Marine.

benny rutledge
11-23-04, 02:49 PM
The attitude was once a Marine was returned to CONUS was "Get the F--- out of my Corps".Early outs were common,Getting good advice from the unit Career advisor was not to be had.All of us returned to a different world.The Corps was downsizing and licking it's political wounds.I picked up a rotton beer habit in Chu Lai,not once when I got to Cherry Point did anyone ask if I wanted any help with my Problem.Making a US Marine is a giant investment and the Corps now aims to please,Out of this world training,Good money and Bennies.I often say to myself"What if?"
Hell,now that were all older and smarter,we aren't wanted or needed.I do wish that Career adviser would have said "get your head out of your ass,your still a US Marine and you can stay one"
The stigma of "Vietvet" is still out there,I hope our "Iraqi Freedom"Veterans don't have the same crap dumped on them........

Sgted
11-23-04, 03:57 PM
I served 6 1/2 years.
Joined a 6 month reserve.
2 - 3 year reenlistments.

On the 2nd 3 year enlistment I got married.
I wanted to make a career out of the Corps but my (ex) wife wouldn't have it.
She threatened to take the kids and leave me in Swansboro, NC where we lived off base.
She really hated being a Marine's wife and made no bones about it. She was fighting mad that I had to ship out to Okinawa a few days after our first son was born.
She was the best example of why a young Marine should not get married. Trying to balance my responsibilities between the Corps & family.
The Corps treated me real good. Yeah, I had to put up with the BS like the rest of you. But, overall the Corps fit me well and I was reccomended for reenlistment.
I decided to end my enlistment in favor of my family.
Not too many years later my wife & I divorced.
Looking back, it was not too late to join again, but those options were not as clear to me then as they are now.
I had a home, a full time job, was making good $$$$ and was near my children.
I try not to linger on the mistake I made back then.
I'm proud that I can retain the title.

kentmitchell
11-23-04, 04:45 PM
I came back from Japan & Okinawa where in 57=58 we were training to go back and "Kill some more Chinese" to unbelieveably boring garrison duty at Pendleton. When the chicken by-product got up to my neck, I knew me and the Corps would part ways. No war so why stay in? At the time, Nam wasn't even on the radar.
I envy the guys today. They have purpose.

artymarine
11-23-04, 09:04 PM
27 yrs in, after Desert Storm arty E9's were like dinosaurs. One year reenlistment packages told me it was time to go. Plus the orders back to oki made my wife tell me it was time to go.
If it were up to me the Commandant would have dragged me out screaming. Semper fi

mrbsox
11-23-04, 09:47 PM
Some of all the above, some of my own reasons.

4 year active hitch, Combat Arms
0341, mud Marine, loved training, in the field. That's what the Corps felt like it should be, to me. State side BS, spit and polish for no reason except 'make work'. Taking orders from SOB's younger and dumber than I was, just 'cause they had a stripe after re-signing.

Late '79 I got an article 15, cost me my E4 stripe, and gave me a bad attitude. When we deployed to GitMo later that year, I felt better, being back in the field, doing my job again.

But, my article 15 and attitude won out, and the retention NCO never even talked to me.

But let there be no mistake, I'm still a Marine. Probably even a better one today, than 25 years ago, partly thanks to this site.
I Miss ya Roger... save me a seat :marine:

Terry

Sgt0811
11-23-04, 10:00 PM
Got married 6 mos before enlistment was up. Wife got pregnant(Sp) I grew up as a military brat and did not want to put my kid(s) through that.
At times I wish I had stayed.

hector verduzco
11-23-04, 10:54 PM
After reading everyone's storys, I guess mine is really different.
I was at Briageport, NV. for training when one day several of us were told to report too the tent where theirs a line. Inside the tent were (2) company personal (brass & snco). Also was a desk with our S.R.B (service record book) open and a piece a paper.
Non of us knew what was going on except you know who, them.
For myself, my s.r. b. was clean from anything, but the option or choice was that if I didn't sign the piece of paper that I would get a page 11 for fefussal and if I did sign the paper, then it means that I can't re-enlist because of my test scores from my asavb.
All this happen when president Reagen was in office. They called it Reagen nonmics. After 4 yrs. in the corps, and haveing a gunney from TX. you know who you are, I could never have made
CPL. . When my active duty enlistment was up, I was informed that if I reported to the reserves, I could make CPL. WRONG!!!!!
I was told that they no longer do that. So that means to me that
After 4 yrs of service and no Blood Stripe, but a hashmark of 4 yrs.
No matter what I'M a MARINE!!!!!

Wyrm
11-24-04, 03:27 AM
Just before I got out, I had been in the Corps for 5 years, married for 2 of those 5 years, and deployed for 89 weeks of the last 104 weeks (2 years) of my enlistment. That gave me only 3 months of that time span with my wife and newborn daughter.

What's worse is that not once in that entire time did I EVER deploy to a combat environment. My MOS was so short that I shipped out every time the call came to assist any unit that needed my MOS, in training cycles, but with no explanation or information about any relief.

I do feel for any Marines that are serving in the 0847 MOS, as my experience tells me that to be deployed to a combat environment would actually be a godsend, and would allow some much needed "rest". Funny how life works out.

I had actually gotten all my paperwork for my re-up package completed, needing only my signature before the deal was done. Heh, they even showed me the promotion warrant for Sergeant, pending my reenlistment, just to "sweeten the deal". I asked 3 questions.

1) Would there be any others joining my MOS so the pace would slacken a bit so that in Garrison we could actually get some down time?

2) Would it be likely to be deployed to a combat environment, instead of just for training.

3) Could I Laterally move and get another MOS?

The answers were 1) No, and 2) Not likely. 3) HELL NO.

I then made the decision that since this pace was neither giving me any personal rewards or doing any justice for my family, that it was time to go...

10 years, and 3 beatiful children later, my wife divorced me. I believe that the divorce had its roots in that first 2 years I was married but never spent any time with my family.

I gave to my country...

I still wonder if I should have stayed single and followed my dream of becoming a career Marine...

Namvet67
11-24-04, 09:36 AM
Great stories from the past...Thanks for the input Marines. The feedback has done me good...Semper Fi and have a great Turkey Day.

USMC-FO
11-24-04, 10:07 AM
These were all really great posts!

At 60 I think often of roads NOT taken, and remaining on active duty for a longer time than the standard 4 years is one of those.

I was given all sorts of options; from attending the Naval Acadamy, to Embassy duty to flight options but at 21/22 what the F do we really know about chit?? I'd been shot at and that got old pretty quickly, plus I was back in the states and dealing with the usual spit and polish that was tiresome--all of us I suspect would much perfer to be in the field. Plus I met a woman ! That was mistake save two wonderful daughters. So out I went, back to school, series of jobs that all missed, make a good chunk of $$ but to this day these jobs lack even a gram of the pride and integrity that I was part of every day of my active duty in the Corps.

A second failed marrige (you see a trend here?? NEVER AGAIN eat my 9 first) but a great son--now 11-- who is my sole focus today. I enjoy beyond words encourageing him to understand and appreciate integrity, courage, commitmment, duty and honor. At times he may think me a royal pain is the ass but he sees and understands things that most youngsters today can't even begin to comprehend. Just this morning as I was taking him to school I told him--he had asked--if I wished I had stayed in the Corps. YOU BET PAL ! He smiled and commented that "well to bad dad since they won't let old fat men in!" So he was happy to have set me up but I told him I was his "Gunny" and that was enough for the moment!

Bottom line to all this though is I am still a Marine, even old and fat, and with all the other uncertainty of life it remains as the single most defining experience of my sorry ass life.

Toby M
11-24-04, 11:41 AM
I loved the Corps and was told by my 1st shirt that I would easily make staff if I re-inlisted but the wife had been a military brat (mom was a Major-Army Nurse and her father was an E-9 in the Air Force). Consequently, we decided that raising our kid (s) would be better on the outside so we got out. She had no qualms about staying in if I chose that route but as they say, the rest is history...no regrets here but you wonder, what if??? Still proud to have served and I still get a tear when I hear the Marine Corps Hymm!

DSchmitke
11-24-04, 12:21 PM
Was in a Frozen MOS no place to go. Still miss it after 14 years.

gilliegtst
11-26-04, 09:59 PM
i'm still trying to figure out what the hell i was thinking...everywhere i look its like...look at these people they dont understand...i got out cuz i was sick of the BS...then i realized in my immaturity, that the BS is everywhere...i'm considering the reserves right now...see where that takes me, i'm awaiting a phone call from the prior serv recruiter...i'm hurting...and bad...no comradere...i'm still young enough...so i'm thinking about finishing up school, and going mustang...we'll see what happens though...

Cpl G

hrscowboy
11-27-04, 12:14 AM
reserves omg give me a break here get your butt back in if you can forget about that weekend warrior crap.

Lock-n-Load
11-27-04, 05:14 AM
:marine: Thx for sharing with us, it takes balls to look back at the mirror....nice honest post, Phil....glad I helped get you back home into the Semper Fidelis Society of Boston...went from a straggler to a sponsor of a table of 10 other Jarheads...God Bless...Semper Fi Chris-USMC FMF:marine:

Lock-n-Load
11-27-04, 05:32 AM
:marine: was the primary reason I volunteered for the USMC [December 1950]...sure I was a patriot, but I wanted adventure and go to Korea...Marine Boot changed my way of thinking forevermore...I thank the Corps for what I am today; however, once or I should state, numerous times getting my a$$ shot at put me in that throng of the"arrogance of combat syndrome"...I was no good at being a stateside jarhead ever more...I got to my war/adventure on two volunteer tours in Korea [then: the a$$hole of the world]...all 4 years as a combat Marine has kept me in good stead for the rest of my life as I bid the Corps sayonara, baby-san, after all the shooting stopped...I love being a cheap-shlt-civilian; thereafter and in retrospect, the young combat Marines of today are my legacy...wars come an go, but only the faces, locales and the weaponry changes...the USMC remains singular/unique...thanks be to God...I'd love to sail again but reality sets in...Bless "em All!! Semper Fi, Marines:marine:

Namvet67
11-27-04, 09:18 AM
I have heard from 22 of my brothers. I'm sure the rest of you are still pondering that question...SOME QUESTIONS ARE TOO HARD TO ANSWER. Thanks to those who did step up to the plate and tell all....excellent feedback and I appreciate the honesty.
My ex-wife and ex-girlfriend say that I never got out of the Corps. You know...they may be right. You can physically leave...BUT CAN YOU REALLY GET OUT?

Lock-n-Load
11-27-04, 11:18 AM
:marine: Thx for the camraderie of a wonderful Post/Thread...I, too, have been told the same...by friends and distracters...both sides of the genders...it a terrific compliment whether heaped positively or from a negative frustated non/Marine person...LOL....they know not...what it is to be seared by battle and our spartan regimen of a US Marine breastplate with the US Marine way of doing it correct...all real Marines are idealists...it is a requirement of our gene pool at MCRDs [2]...What fools these mortals be!! Semper Fi to all of the above US Marines:marine:

hector verduzco
11-27-04, 12:33 PM
Once a Marine always a Marine! That's true to this day. <br />
I still were my dogtags and put my mini ribbons, chevrons and my unit pin on my covers (hats). I also were t-shirts that reflect the Marine...

Sgt. Smitty
11-27-04, 02:07 PM
I'm like a lot of other Marines, during war time the Corps was a great unit to be in, but getting back to the states and puttin up with all the crap and the spit and polish and the games the lifers...

vfm
11-27-04, 04:37 PM
I look back on it now and wish I had retired out of the Corps. But when you're young the road of life takes many turns and twists. After 'Nam the military was really looked down upon by most civilians and not the place to be. Then Igot married had kids etc.
Hind sight is 20/20.
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

RLeon
11-27-04, 06:48 PM
People alway ask me wy I got out and they ask me why I went in and the answer is the same for both... I don't know.

fulmetaljackass
11-27-04, 09:05 PM
Alright...we're all pretty much saying the same thing here. Either it was a darn woman or we were tired of the stateside b.s. (which was the only b.s. I knew, except for my 6 month med cruise :) )

What I want to know is why is it that an 18 year old dumb@ss can walk into a recruiter's office and be gone within 2 weeks as long as he's not picky about an MOS, and those of us who have been there, done that, grew up a little and want to do it again have he!! getting back in?

wayne553
11-28-04, 09:24 AM
The reason they WONT let us back in is we Now know more than they do.We know how things run.
I was talking to (e mail) to a TOP at Lejuene ,he didnt know 1/2 of the equiptment I was askin about.I didnt know his stuff either.dont that make you feel old.Remember when a Top was a old guy,35-37-40? I'm 61 felt like I was talkin to a kid
I got out for the same reasons,only I put in 4 yrs in the air force then 4 yrs in the Corps.So that makes me stupid,should have shot the wife and stayed in.dirvorced her after 15 yrs,that would have been 23 yrs of the good life,but my kids grew up and kinda understood were i realy wanted to be.2nd marriage and now 17 grandkids later,doing the same as all of you guys(what if)

11-28-04, 11:23 AM
The only way I would have stayed in was if they would have given me E-7 and the $10K USD bonus tax free and pro pay.

They said no!, I said goodbye. Took an early out to go to college in '68.

Take care-Steve

clavos
11-28-04, 02:59 PM
At the time a young dumb ass. I only regret it every time I shave, which is EVERY day.

Semper Fi, Bill

LivinSoFree
11-28-04, 03:21 PM
...listening to all of this is definitely reinforcing my thoughts towards being a "lifer" after finishing up school.

snipowsky
11-28-04, 05:55 PM
I ask myself that everyday! I was asked to re-up but they didn't want to promote me to E-4 and I had the cutting score for E-5, so I beat feet! I often wonder how long it would have taken me to pick up Corporal if I'd stuck with it. I wouldn't trade my time in the Corps for anything though. I miss the FMF. I miss the comraderie. I miss serving my country! I miss my brothers. I miss the Corps!

Sparrowhawk
11-28-04, 06:45 PM
Plus E-6, if I stayed. The corps was giving early outs, as the Vietnam War was winding down. <br />
<br />
I was an MP, E-5 stationed at Concord Naval Weapons Station in California, with a top secret military...

wayne553
11-28-04, 06:57 PM
Subject: Excellent BBC footage of Fallujah assault by Coalition Forces

Good 18 minute BBC footage of USMC going into Falluljah.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/news_web/video/40566000/bb/40566639_bb_16x9.asx

~~~~~~~~~

gilliegtst
11-28-04, 07:16 PM
Well aint that a b*tch, cowboy told me to screw the reserves...well now that i know what its like going up throught the ranks....i dont really wanna start all over again, i would like to at least stay a cpl...while going to school...then maybe butterbar...we'll see, i am a Marine, and I WILL use my GI bill for college to get back in as an officer...

Cpl G

Namvet67
11-29-04, 09:16 AM
LivinSofree....part of the reason I started this thread was for the benefit of you and all my other brothers who are still in the Corps. Letting us old Corps Marines sound off does us good and hopefully it will answer some questions that our active duty Marines may have. I'm sure there will be more stories posted on this subject. Semper Fi

Doc Crow
11-29-04, 01:11 PM
OHHHH NOOOOOO not another Sea Story :-) :-)

femalemarine_89
11-29-04, 01:21 PM
I have to say that there are alot of different reasons that people get out of the Corps. I have mine.. I hated to get out but you know there are some things in life that are more important. I will always be that Marine inside and out. Just ask my husband. I have to say that I am out now and happy most of the time. I dont believe I could have stayed in the Corps and been married to the wonderful man that I am married to today. Hs isnt in the Corps he is in the Navy and I do know that it just would not have worked out if I had stayed active duty. I will persue things in the civilian world, finish my education and then get an awsome job with the government in criminal justice/forensics

Timber
11-29-04, 02:17 PM
Got tired of the "BS" in garrison and watching idiots get promoted because the CO liked the way they did paper work. Guess it did not matter if they actually knew how to do their real jobs. Also got tired of being passed over for deployments to hot spots. I do miss everything about the Corps, but I made some great friends and we are still like family. I would not trade that for anything.

femalemarine_89
11-29-04, 02:22 PM
I know what you mean Timber. I miss the people that I served with, but you know I am still the best of friends with alot of Marines. My husband teases me all the time cause I am always getting emails from former Marines that I have served with and some that are good buddies today.. Its always good.. And I would not trade a moment of it for anything either..
SEMPER FI

Timber
11-29-04, 02:38 PM
Yeah same here. Three of us talk all the time. We got together for the first time ( all 3 in the same place ) in March. Our wives, just two of us are married, can't figure out why we are such a tight group of friends.

david43844
11-29-04, 03:32 PM
I joined when I was 17 (1966) after Nam and some really good times and good duty stations,I wanted to see how the other half lived,got out in 78. Looking back......I could be dead..........maybe I'd have the same wife.........No job I've ever had on the outside was as grand as the Marine Corps. Oh well.......continue to march. Semper Fi, David

femalemarine_89
11-29-04, 06:36 PM
I think we all look back at the decisions that we make and some of them we live to regret but I will never regret the time that I have spent in the Corps.. That made me the person that I am today.. Before I went into the Corps i was a hot head, I was a rebel without a cause literally. But today I am a responsible adult, able to make decisions and able to handle anything that is put in front of me. I also think it has helped me to do as good of a job in the civilian job as I have..