PDA

View Full Version : Could You Pull The Trigger

Namvet67
11-20-04, 11:05 AM
There are stages of combat that Marines go through that will influence their thinking to some degree...The Marine that shot the raghead was in stage 3 of the thinking process..First there is fear, then there is anger, then you really don't care. Those of you that have pulled the trigger know what I am talking about. This Marine didn't just jump out of the shower and have a cup of coffee while reading the daily paper...He was in a hostile place and had already seen death and really was not in the mood to take any chances much less hesitate...do that and you die. It is not easy to just walk up and put a round in someone. It takes a lot of GUTS. SEMPER FI

Sgt. Smitty
11-20-04, 12:02 PM
Why criticize a Marine for doin what he was trained to do? Marines are trained to kill to protect themselves and the rest of their squad against any hostile aggression. Who's to say that there wasn't a booby trap under that towelhead? This Marine did exactly what any Marine in Nam would have done and no one would have said a damned thing about it. The Corps needs to limit the places where the media can have access to and keep them out of the way of Marines doin their job.

Doc Crow
11-20-04, 10:32 PM
He did what he had to do at the time. I was not there so can not say anything on the matter and would not try. I saw combat in Panama and Desert Storm 1 and I know what I did there and had to do there. If it was the same yep pull the trigger

hrscowboy
11-20-04, 10:37 PM
Bottom line is our Commandant needs to tell all media from this day foward there will be no media embedded with any Marine Units what so ever...

Sgt. Smitty
11-21-04, 10:15 AM
I didn't mean for it to look like gbudd was criticizing anyone. I know it takes a lot to pull the trigger on another person, been there done that. I went out on a medcap mission to a vill just outside of Danang in 69 where we got hostile fire while our corpsman was doin his job. In a combat situation, pullin the trigger comes automatically if you want to live. I criticize no one for pullin the trigger on an enemy, no matter what country they're in. That's what Marines are trained to do!

Lock-n-Load
11-21-04, 10:55 AM
:marine: I agree with all of the above...another facet of being on the line [MLR] for an extended period of time [30 to 60 days/nites or more]...the self-preservation and survival factor is paramount 24/7...the entire outfit meshes and the daily body count is all that matters and; beyond that,the insatiable lust to kill...overpowers your senses...sure, when your unit gets relieved to go into Reserve...ever look into your comrade's "kill eyes" as it takes awhile to wind down and be able to walk around upright without fear, etc...mortal combat is the acid test for the Marine and you wonder for the rest of your life..."Why was I granted life over all Marine KIAs and crippled WIAs Marines??" ..Thank you, gbudd for your Post. Semper Fidelis:marine:...PS: "I think the world of a combat Marine".

USMC-FO
11-21-04, 03:17 PM
Horsecowboy: Not a bad idea--I'd support it--but not sure if it is a call CMC can make. Could easily be a "Rummy only" call.

snipowsky
11-21-04, 04:03 PM
IT'S EITHER YOU OR THE ENEMY. BOTTOM LINE.

WHY DIE FOR YOUR GREAT COUNTRY WHEN YOU CAN MAKE THAT OTHER F**KER DIE FOR HIS PATHETIC COUNTRY INSTEAD?

Toby M
11-21-04, 06:05 PM
Amen, Snipowsky...I agree wholeheartedly!!!

vfm
11-21-04, 06:35 PM
First thing I learned in rifle training and remember 35 years later. If you point your rifle use it.The Marine did his job!!!
Enough said.
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

Sparrowhawk
11-21-04, 07:12 PM
Could You Pull The Trigger?

Twice, and maybe once more, just for GP!

SuNmAN
11-22-04, 07:51 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have it on burst you can fire all 3 rounds with 1 trigger squeeze ;-)

ooorah !

mrbsox
11-22-04, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by SuNmAN

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have it on burst you can fire all 3 rounds with 1 trigger squeeze ;-)

ooorah !

Where can a guy get one of those trigger sears ??

I'm for embedded reporters, but no cameras. Only type writers. You know, like the old Remingtons. They can carry one of those anywhere they want :banana:

MillRatUSMC
11-22-04, 10:10 PM
Could you pull the trigger?
If you take incoming and a round cracks close to your ear.
Pulling the trigger comes might easy.
If a arty battery, your guarding come under attack and you have the enemy flank expose, you give the order to fire with everything that you have on a bridge that you're guarding that night.
You see an enemy high tailing out of an encirclement , you take that enemy underfire.
Pulling the trigger is easy.
Than there times that you have to caution some on where they will be firing, because we were a trail that dog leg to the left and the point was up front.
Later with more rank comes the responsibility of directing where that fire is directed.
Application of deadly forces requires that you have displine.
One night, the battery was probed by one round, that was answered by everything in the battery.
Leading to one enraged Platoon Staff Sergeant because we had given away all the locations of our weapons.
Requiring to change of many positions because we knew that someone had plotted the location of our weapons.
Pulling the trigger is easy...
Why is it that something from my past keeps coming back to my mind;
"If you dance to the piper's tune, sooner or later you will have to pay the piper!"
My Senior Drill Instructor way of saying, if you do wrong, sooner or later you will have to pay...that has never left my mind since I left the Drill Field in MCRD San Diego in the 1958...
"Be aware of your surroundings and where everyone is... before you pull the trigger"

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Riicardo

Oggie
11-23-04, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by MillRatUSMC
Could you pull the trigger?
If you take incoming and a round cracks close to your ear.
Pulling the trigger comes might easy.
If a arty battery, your guarding come under attack and you have the enemy flank expose, you give the order to fire with everything that you have on a bridge that you're guarding that night.
You see an enemy high tailing out of an encirclement , you take that enemy underfire.
Pulling the trigger is easy.
Than there times that you have to caution some on where they will be firing, because we were a trail that dog leg to the left and the point was up front.
Later with more rank comes the responsibility of directing where that fire is directed.
Application of deadly forces requires that you have displine.
One night, the battery was probed by one round, that was answered by everything in the battery.
Leading to one enraged Platoon Staff Sergeant because we had given away all the locations of our weapons.
Requiring to change of many positions because we knew that someone had plotted the location of our weapons.
Pulling the trigger is easy...
Why is it that something from my past keeps coming back to my mind;
"If you dance to the piper's tune, sooner or later you will have to pay the piper!"
My Senior Drill Instructor way of saying, if you do wrong, sooner or later you will have to pay...that has never left my mind since I left the Drill Field in MCRD San Diego in the 1958...
"Be aware of your surroundings and where everyone is... before you pull the trigger"

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Riicardo

Hear! hear! I can agree 110% with this Marine, sometimes its not about how easy it is to pull the trigger, but to pull it in a disciplined manner for maximum effect, after all isn't this one of the cornerstones of what makes us different than the rest of the armed forces. Which would bring me back to one of my previous posts, I cannot judge this Marine because I haven't walked in his boots, if I would have done maybe I too would have pulled the trigger, its a tough one to call, however we should question the time scales that politicians are expecting our Marines to move to. In a conventional setting maybe, but our Marines are fighting a very unconventional enemy (those who don't play by anybody's elses rules).