PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Marines

CMyr
11-18-04, 04:18 PM
I have received a donation of bulk candy which the donor would like to be delivered to Marines serving in Iraq or Afghanistan. :yes:

With the post office initiating the priority mail flat-rate shipping boxes on Sat, 11/20, it will make it possible for me to ship this candy to the Marines without going bankrupt.

My problem is that currently I have only one unit address to ship all this candy to. In order to avoid overloading one unit with multiple cases of candy to use or redistribute, I am asking for your help in securing valid mailing addresses to unit CO's or individuals who you think may be interested in receiving some of this candy.

I've so far packed 15 cases, each weighing between 8-10 pounds. Included in each case are some sandwich -size plastic baggies so that the bulk can be split up among individual Marines, if the unit or Marine desires not to strictly put this candy enmass in their unit's mess hall.

With Christmas packages already in the mail system, I am willing to wait to ship cases until after the Christmas rush, if so desired. I wouldn't want to keep personal packages from reaching their destination by the "big day." :)

If you can help out, please PM me and we'll take it from there. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
SSgtL

Sparrowhawk
11-18-04, 06:11 PM
Don't mean to discourage you, but I don't think It'll get to the troops.

Too many people want to do them harm and there is a clearing house that does that for you. YOu might want to contact them directly, but I don't remember the place. I believe its in San Diego.

Others have tried to send stuff like that to the troops bulk like and its all been returned, for security reasons.

Maybe someone here has that phone number or address.

Sf

Cook

GunnyL
11-18-04, 06:52 PM
If I were you, I'd start contacting some of the Military Hospitals here in the States. There are a lot of wounded Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and MARINES who are recovering in Military Hospitals all over the country. I live in San Antonio and there is Brooke Army Medical Center, and Wilford Hall at Lackland AFB both with a constant flow of these fine young individuals. That would be a great place to start.
There are roving PX's over in Iraq right now, they can buy anything they want to include bicycles and sporting goods. The ones who are going to need our help and attention are those who are wounded and returning, especially the young PFC's and LCPL's and their families.
semperfifund.org is an organization specializing in helping those injured Sailors and Marines.

Regards,

GunnyL

CMyr
11-18-04, 07:34 PM
Thank you for the input.

Sparrowhawk - I had contacted the nearest Marine reserve unit and they had given me their CO's address in Iraq. No word was mentioned of a clearing house or the cases not going through. I'll see what I can dig up inre: the clearing house. All that they told me was since I didn't have a specific Marine's mailing address, I could mail items to the attention of the CO.

GunnyL - Thanks for reminding me. It should've clicked with me because of the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund. I'll start with the nearest VA hospital and see where it leads.

I had spoken with a Marine who just returned from Afghanistan this week and he had told me that candy was a popular item as what they couldn't eat, they would give it to the Afghani children.

Thanks again for the info.
SSgtL

CMyr
11-20-04, 07:26 AM
Am happy to report that since I'm repackaging the bulk candy, it can be shipped. Called the Military Postal Service Agency, 1-800-810-6098, and they said that would be fine as long as I have valid addresses.

An American Legion post has accepted a couple of cases to repackage for their Christmas party for the vets at their local VA. They're also going to put me in contact with their members who are currently serving overseas.

Still have 2,000+ snack-size packs (and counting) to send.

SSgtL