PDA

View Full Version : Marine Pictured In Iconic Photo Unfazed

snipowsky
11-15-04, 12:06 PM
Associated Press
November 15, 2004

PIKEVILLE, Ky. - An eastern Kentucky Marine whose battle-grimed face has quickly become a symbol of the fighting in the Iraqi city of Fallujah says he doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

But his mother is thrilled. Maxie Webber, of Robinson Creek in eastern Kentucky, said the close-up of Lance Cpl. James Blake Miller let her know that her son was OK.

Webber said she first saw it Wednesday on CBS.

"I just sat here and I thought, that's my son," Webber said. "I couldn't believe it."

The photograph, taken by a Los Angeles Times photographer and transmitted by The Associated Press, has been printed in more than 100 newspapers and shown on network television.

Miller, 20, is shown with smudged camouflage paint and a bloody scratch on his nose, a cigarette drooping from the side of his mouth. He was exhausted and grimy after more than 12 hours of nonstop fighting.

Miller, a graduate of Shelby Valley High School, is serving with Charlie Company of the 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment in the Iraqi city of Fallujah, scene of fierce battles over the past week.

He didn't know about the photo and his spreading fame until two Los Angeles Times staffers traveling with his unit told him about it.

"I was just smokin' a cigarette and someone takes my picture and it all blows up," Miller told them Friday.

The picture, which appeared in the Times on Wednesday, was taken on the afternoon after Charlie Company entered Fallujah under intense hostile fire.

Miller and his fellow platoon members had spent the day engaged in practically nonstop firefights, fending off snipers and attackers, and hadn't slept in more than 24 hours.

"It was kind of crazy out here at first," Miller says. "No one really knew what to expect. They told us about it all the time, but no one knows for sure until you get here."

He grew up in rural Jonancy, named after his great-great-great grandparents Joe and Nancy Miller, the first settlers in the area. His father, James Miller, is a mechanic and farmer, and the young Miller grew up working crops of potatoes, corn and green beans. His mother is a nurse.

His mother said she stays home as much as possible in case he calls.

"I don't want to miss his call because you never know if that call will be the last one," Webber said.

She said she bought an answering machine in case Miller, the oldest of her three sons, calls while she's out. She has one message on the machine from Aug. 1.

"And when I get lonely, and it's been a few days, I play that tape," Webber said.

Webber said her son's decision to join the Marines has changed the way she thinks about America.

"Until my son went into the Marines, I never really realized what that flag stood for - but now I do," she said.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/fallujah_offensive/aex.jpg

hrscowboy
11-15-04, 12:49 PM
Man that Marine needs a shower!!!!

snipowsky
11-15-04, 12:55 PM
That's not all he probably needs or wants! Poor guy!

thedrifter
11-15-04, 12:59 PM
Stories about him I put in the other day

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17468

Ellie

snipowsky
11-15-04, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry Ellie. My bad.

Sparrowhawk
11-15-04, 02:36 PM
I guess; It's another one of those that deserves it's own thread.

I missed the pic when I first read the story... I guess the pic still stuck to the back of my mind, his stare and overall look and unknowing, it brought those thoughts of Nam forward and I posted that other thread about the "1000 yard stare," it all effects us differently.

The picture depicts why they call us, MUD MARINES!

SF

Cook

<hr>

"Until my son went into the Marines, I never really realized what that flag stood for - but now I do," his mom said.

<hr>

Cook

yellowwing
11-15-04, 02:40 PM
From the NY Post:

But there's one drawback to being the Marlboro Man — everyone keeps bumming your smokes. "If you want to write something," Marine Lance Cpl. James Miller, 20, told a reporter this week, "tell Marlboro I'm down to four packs, and I'm here in Fallujah till who knows when. Maybe they can send some. And they can bring down the price a bit."

Marlboro declined comment.

:)

Sparrowhawk
11-15-04, 03:45 PM
"tell Marlboro I'm down to four packs, and I'm here in Fallujah till who knows when. Maybe they can send some. And they can bring down the price a bit."

Typical Jarhead!
Always conniving!

LOL

Sgt. Smitty
11-20-04, 12:12 PM
What about the post for the free 4x4 that is in here for the first Marine with a confirmed kill? This Marine needs to have that truck shipped to his house.

snipowsky
11-21-04, 04:15 PM
LMAO@Sgt. Smitty! Only Sgt. Smitty would say something or remember something like that! lol I totally forgot about that post. Did I mention it was stolen? :::LOOKS AROUND LOST:::;)

Sparrowhawk
11-21-04, 06:29 PM
snipowsky

FOR SALE, but free to any member of the United States Armed Forces with a confirmed enemy kill in Iraq or Afghanistan!

snipowsky has attached this image:

Confirmed Kill (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15072&highlight=confirmed)

June 21 2004 02:39 PM